The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Liked what I saw from him today, his play resembled that of Giroux/Kane. However, he's not nearly strong enough to make the jump just yet.

I was laughing so hard at your sig I couldn't click on the link to go back to the Canucks Prosects page!

Yeah he looks like a weakling. Hes the one management has to get on a good diet and training program. He oozes potential.

He's actually stronger than he looks though, he skates with power like Kane and Giroux unlike fast but weak skaters like Mason Raymond or Ryan Shannon. I'm pretty sure he has a solid core and strong legs, however, his upper body doesn't look very strong at all, so that could use some work. He needs to learn from Schroeder; only 5'8/9 but outperformed many (including Kassian) in the combine, he's a true beast for his size.

He's actually stronger than he looks though, he skates with power like Kane and Giroux unlike fast but weak skaters like Mason Raymond or Ryan Shannon. I'm pretty sure he has a solid core and strong legs, however, his upper body doesn't look very strong at all, so that could use some work. He needs to learn from Schroeder; only 5'8/9 but outperformed many (including Kassian) in the combine, he's a true beast for his size.

Jordan is just stacked.. met him in person was quite impressed

Yeah he looks like a weakling. Hes the one management has to get on a good diet and training program. He oozes potential.

One can only hope he's a late developer. You can tell by his face that he is physically immature and his father looks like a fairly big dude so hopefully in a few years he puts on his man size and fills out because when you look at pics of him and Horvat side by side in tee-shirts Horvat looks like a man and Hunter looks like a teenager.

Lots of guys don't put on proper muscle until their 20's, some never do though....

One can only hope he's a late developer. You can tell by his face that he is physically immature and his father looks like a fairly big dude so hopefully in a few years he puts on his man size and fills out because when you look at pics of him and Horvat side by side in tee-shirts Horvat looks like a man and Hunter looks like a teenager.

Lots of guys don't put on proper muscle until their 20's, some never do though....

Patrick Kane just won the Conn Smythe and he still looks like someone`s little brother.

Hunter`s never gonna be a big dude. He`s better served focusing on his speed and his stick handling. That`s what has made guys like Kane and Datsyuk so successful. It`s their elusiveness.

Patrick Kane just won the Conn Smythe and he still looks like someone`s little brother.

Hunter`s never gonna be a big dude. He`s better served focusing on his speed and his stick handling. That`s what has made guys like Kane and Datsyuk so successful. It`s their elusiveness.

we can't have you using common sense here deniro. we need to simplify it a bit here at cdc. so at the moment its all size. we only care about size.

gill> toews

you get it now?

This right here. Whether Shinkaruk grows or not, it's not the biggest factor.

Hunter got this far in his career with his speed and skills, and if he makes the big leagues that's what will have to translate to it.

When we got that top-ten pick I was all, "take Shinkaruk Gillis, c'mon" then they took Horvat and I was like, "ok he's pretty good too." To get Shinkaruk at 24 and to stick it in Calgary's face like that is just amazing! Watching this kid play against Saskatoon this spring, he was far and away the best player in that series, it was crazy.

He is one prospect I fully expect the team to keep in the juniors for another season and hopefully the AHL for a season as well. He really needs to grow gradually and a shot at the WJHC and then a year in Utica will do him a world of good.

I remember a kid who was forced to stay down an extra year in juniors, he hated it. Years later he said best decision ever made in my career.

His name was Joe Sakic, turned out to be an ok hockey player. Look him up ;)

He is one prospect I fully expect the team to keep in the juniors for another season and hopefully the AHL for a season as well. He really needs to grow gradually and a shot at the WJHC and then a year in Utica will do him a world of good.

I remember a kid who was forced to stay down an extra year in juniors, he hated it. Years later he said best decision ever made in my career.

His name was Joe Sakic, turned out to be an ok hockey player. Look him up ;)

good point- but it will be 2 years in Jr and then likely a year in the AHL...still I am ok with that for any prospect as long as they turn out well. Why rush them to get 1-2 yrs of ok hockey out of them at the nhl level, have them lose confidence and not reach full potential when you could wait 3 yrs and have them start strong in the nhl like hodgson and go on to have impact careers

Kane was a 1st overall draft pick and put up 140pts in Junior, he obviously has the skills to make up for his lack of size, Datsyuk weighs 200+lbs. Not small guy at all.

It's a nice thought to put Hunter in the same catagory as Kane and Datsyuk but we see it over and over again that if a guy doesn't have absolutely amazing skills if he is undersized he's going to have a hell of a time being effective in the NHL.

Now no need to get a pissy pants because I'm not saying he HAS to get bigger there is no way of knowing how he will develop, all I'm saying is that he looks immature which is a good thing because the chances of him growing and putting on a healthy amount of muscle are even more, he may be good enough to be an NHL'r at this size or he may become a 200lb skilled winger and be an absolute beast.

good point- but it will be 2 years in Jr and then likely a year in the AHL...still I am ok with that for any prospect as long as they turn out well. Why rush them to get 1-2 yrs of ok hockey out of them at the nhl level, have them lose confidence and not reach full potential when you could wait 3 yrs and have them start strong in the nhl like hodgson and go on to have impact careers

Despite being drafted this year, this will be Shinkaruk's 4th year of Junior hockey as he is a late 1994 birthday. The eligibility rules for the AHL for players drafted from the CHL are as follows: A player from the CHL has to either turn 20 by December 31st of the season OR have completed 4 seasons of junior eligibility. Shinkaruk will fulfill both of these terms after this next season, so in fact he will only play 1 more season in the WHL before he makes the jump to the AHL.

I was just going to say... if you can't recognize that guy you deserve a CDC suspension.

If you were born and raised in BC, you should be straight up thrown in jail for not knowing who that is.. It be our own weird law like all those messed up ones you read about.

Archived