Photo

Hunter Shinkaruk Talk

• Please log in to reply
3534 replies to this topic

#751 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

I think he has a good chance at being the 1st line center. Bo Horvat is matching all of the other centers in offensive stats and he's just as good if not better defensively than all of them.

Laughton's to lose though, at least to start. Horvat could make his way onto being the #1 if Laughton struggles or he just wills and scores himself there. If the Flames loan Monahan (they're tanking anyways and it will be good for his development) then Horvat for sure isn't going to be #1, but could battle Laughton for the #2.

#752 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

Laughton's to lose though, at least to start. Horvat could make his way onto being the #1 if Laughton struggles or he just wills and scores himself there. If the Flames loan Monahan (they're tanking anyways and it will be good for his development) then Horvat for sure isn't going to be #1, but could battle Laughton for the #2.

Flames wont let him go, they said today even when he comes back from injury they want him to stay with the big club

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat, 03 December 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#753 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:08 AM

I think he has a good chance at being the 1st line center. Bo Horvat is matching all of the other centers in offensive stats and he's just as good if not better defensively than all of them.

It's tough to say what line Horvat will center, if he plays center during the tournament. Didn't Sutter have him on LW for a few games? And with how many centers team Canada has, I wouldn't be surprised if he was shifted. Laughton, Gauthier, McDavid, Reinhart, Lazar and Horvat all centers. I know Reinhart has been praised for being a player that can play all 3 forward positions and I also think Lazar has played some LW like Horvat.

I also read somewhere that the QMJHLs top line during the subway series was really good, I think it was Drouin - Gauthier - Mantha. While Gauthier isn't what would consider Canada's top centre prospect, you have to respect any line with Drouin on it is Canada's top line.

This is what I think the lines could end up looking like:

Drouin-Gauthier-Mantha
Horvat-Laughton-Anderson
Hudon-Lazar-Rychel
Shinkaruk-McDavid-Reinhart
Petan

Drouin-Gauthier-Mantha

Speed and size. Gauthier and Mantha creating tons of space for Drouin because of their size.

Horvat-Laughton-Anderson

Although Anderson is more of a third or 4th line guy, he gets elevated here to play with Knight's teammate Horvat. Horvat and Laughton are both good playmakers and finishers, having a guy who can retrieve Pucks for them makes this line work. Horvat and Laughton also work hard below the goal line. This could give teams nightmares just on their forehead alone.

Hudon-Lazar-Rychel

Rychel and Anderson could easily switch lines here. Hudon has been a favorite for a lot of fans because of how hard he plays the game for his size. All players on this line are guys that have offensive games but are reliable defensively and are all plus skaters.

Looking at the roster like this, I have a tough time thinking both Petan and Shinkaruk make the roster in favour of another energy guys like Girard because of the skill already available on the other 3 lines.

Shinkaruk/Petan-McDavid-Reinhart

A skilled "4th line". McDavid and Reinhart have been paired together in the past. Anyone on this line could be left of, solely for making a tougher, harder to play against 4th line. I think that's Sutters MO. But considering both your 2nf and 3rd line respectively are good enough in all areas of the ice, a purely talented offensive line could be huge in close games.

#754 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

^Horvat is the best face-off man in the OHL, maybe even in the whole CHL, I'd be shocked to see him as a winger.

zuhwS.gif

#755 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

I love what Gillis did with his selection of Shinkaruk. He already had Horvat in his pocket and with 2 first round pick ( I can't recall the last time ) Gillis rolled the dice on a offensive goal scorer. It might work and he becomes a scoring phenom and he might be a bust but heck he give it a go. This kid could be a Patrick Kane sort of player or he could become another Schroeder.

#756 Ronalds.Kenins41

Ronalds.Kenins41

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

^Horvat is the best face-off man in the OHL, maybe even in the whole CHL, I'd be shocked to see him as a winger.

Horvat= Toews Shinkaruk = Kane

:bigblush:

b4cl1j.jpg

Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the awesome RK sig

#757 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Horvat= Toews Shinkaruk = Kane

:bigblush:

its lofty but how amazing would it be? i'd settle for getzlaf-perry or carter-richards as well :P

#758 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

Not impressed with his performance at all so far. Has regressed tremendously IMO. Not even a point a game now in the WHL. Compare his stats to his first season in the WHL, 2nd season, and now third you can see a down hill regression in performance. Where have we seen this before? Remember Esposito?

I'm starting to understand why teams passed on him.
Posted Image

#759 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,649 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

The Flames have already said they aren't loaning Monahan.

I also think Horvat is a step above Laughton in terms of being a complete player, even though he's a year younger.

#760 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

Can't help but think he's too focused on the NHL instead of developing his game. Hope he can make camp and do something to impress and get some rhythm going.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#761 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,969 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Not impressed with his performance at all so far. Has regressed tremendously IMO. Not even a point a game now in the WHL. Compare his stats to his first season in the WHL, 2nd season, and now third you can see a down hill regression in performance. Where have we seen this before? Remember Esposito?

Or you know lots of junior players have their numbers dip in their last seasons. ;)

Instead of focusing on points, I suggest watching him play. He's a very noticeable player all over the ice.

Being a point per game player is not the be all and end all of prospects. Wait and see what he can do at the next level before you start calling bust prematurely like so many fans on here like to do.

Edited by DeNiro, 04 December 2013 - 06:09 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#762 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

Or you know lots of junior players have their numbers dip in their last seasons. ;)

Instead of focusing on points, I suggest watching him play. He's a very noticeable player all over the ice.

Being a point per game player is not the be all and end all of prospects. Wait and see what he can do at the next level before you start calling bust prematurely like so many fans on here like to do.

I would drink this cool aid of yours, but I've followed our prospects from 2007-2013. I do watch him play, and so far there's no indication whatsoever that he has improved as a player.

I use to be like you, but now I'm very skeptical after wasting a chunk of my time here following our prospects that never panned out. You can say all you want that points don't matter, but the fact is still the same. He has regressed.

Edited by Sanford, 04 December 2013 - 07:21 PM.

Posted Image

#763 Drakrami

Drakrami

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

do more research before you comment so you have the right facts, hes actually playing out of 2 injuries: so that WJC will add him on the roster. If he didn't play, Team Canada coulda skipped him.

Edited by Drakrami, 04 December 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#764 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

POPULAR

I would drink this cool aid of yours, but I've followed our prospects from 2007-2013. I do watch him play, and so far there's no indication whatsoever that he has improved as a player.

I use to be like you, but now I'm very skeptical after wasting a chunk of my time here following our prospects that never panned out. You can say all you want that points don't matter, but the fact is still the same. He has regressed.

Interesting, so you're saying you watched him last season and the season before? Do you happen to have the breakdown of what his scoring his on a month to month basis? Is he normally a slow starter? How has he been in the past after coming back from injury?

Can't provide any of the information?

Don't start talking about player regression if you've got nothing to back it up other than "he's not even a point per game"

#765 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

He scored during the Super Series against the pretty damn good Russians, as well as being invited to Team Canada. I think he's doing fine.

#766 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

Nah to go from 49 goals to 5 goals in 20 games he's definitely off.

Not saying he's any worse of a player, just that he's probably slackin'

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#767 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,236 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

I do watch him play

How many times have you seen him play???

Were do you watch him play???

I smell crap. Your talking out of your ass again, Sanford.

I also think Horvat is a step above Laughton in terms of being a complete player, even though he's a year younger

Laughton is riding on the back of Michael Dal Cole. Take him away, Laughton is just another point per game player. I'm not bloody joking. If anything Horvat is a superior prospect to Laughton.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#768 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

How many times have you seen him play???

Were do you watch him play???

I smell crap. Your talking out of your ass again, Sanford.

Laughton is riding on the back of Michael Dal Cole. Take him away, Laughton is just another point per game player. I'm not bloody joking. If anything Horvat is a superior prospect to Laughton.

"A person disagrees with you" - talking out of your ass. Lets get real here kiddo. I've seen at least 10 Tiger games this season on my tv, on top of that I watched both subway series.

Who the heck cares about Laughton. You should be bloody joking because we're talking about Hunter Shinkaruk here.
Posted Image

#769 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

do more research before you comment so you have the right facts, hes actually playing out of 2 injuries: so that WJC will add him on the roster. If he didn't play, Team Canada coulda skipped him.

Of course the excuses come out now. I do realize he has been injured, I also realize that he should not rush it and use that as an excuse. He has under performed and you all know it.
Posted Image

#770 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,161 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

Of course the excuses come out now. I do realize he has been injured, I also realize that he should not rush it and use that as an excuse. He has under performed and you all know it.

Does he really have anything more to prove at the WHL level? His stats say no.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#771 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Interesting, so you're saying you watched him last season and the season before? Do you happen to have the breakdown of what his scoring his on a month to month basis? Is he normally a slow starter? How has he been in the past after coming back from injury?

Can't provide any of the information?

Don't start talking about player regression if you've got nothing to back it up other than "he's not even a point per game"

Can you provide any information that he has not regressed? I've watched several Medicine Hat tigers, and if we want to break it shift by shift, I see a player that is quite weak on the puck.

Again I'm not claiming Hunter is a bust, I am just claiming that he has regressed and hasn't improved on last year. I don't need any of you hockey scouts to tell me that all my info comes based on "points". Frankly it's not and frankly Hunter has not improved.

Look at Bo Horvat and you can see what I mean by this. Improvement on Skating, Offensively, just an overall improvement from last year.
Posted Image

#772 Southpop45

Southpop45

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

for world juniors i consider shinkaruk to be one of the three forwards i think are on the hot seat to get cut. those 3 players are shinkaruk, hudon, and mcdavid. based on what mckenzie and the other anyalsts said it seems that mcdavid will most likely be cut due to his age and the depth at center. with that being said in my mind its shinkaruk or hudon who will be the second and final forward cut

Edited by Southpop45, 05 December 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#773 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:09 AM

for world juniors i consider shinkaruk to be one of the three forwards i think are on the hot seat to get cut. those 3 players are shinkaruk, hudon, and mcdavid. based on what mckenzie and the other anyalsts said it seems that mcdavid will most likely be cut due to his age and the depth at center. with that being said in my mind its shinkaruk or hudon who will be the second and final forward cut

Same here, but I think the coach Sutter likes him. He was put in the first line in the subway series... I think in the end of the day it could come down to coach preference.
Posted Image

#774 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

Can you provide any information that he has not regressed? I've watched several Medicine Hat tigers, and if we want to break it shift by shift, I see a player that is quite weak on the puck.

Again I'm not claiming Hunter is a bust, I am just claiming that he has regressed and hasn't improved on last year. I don't need any of you hockey scouts to tell me that all my info comes based on "points". Frankly it's not and frankly Hunter has not improved.

Look at Bo Horvat and you can see what I mean by this. Improvement on Skating, Offensively, just an overall improvement from last year.

I agree that his play is much less than stellar. he isn't playing well at all right now. but regressed isnt the proper word. having a poor 17 games isn't a regression. if he continues to play at the pace he is for the next season or two, yes that is regression. this could simply be a slump.

example-henrique had 51 pts in his first 74 nhl games. since then he has 27 in 71. did he regress? no. chemistry, line quality and luck all play a factor.

like most I assume you playwd hocley foe the majority of your life. sometimes the pucks go in when you play like poo. and other times you look to the sky a lot...

again I agree that hunter hasn't been playing all that well. but if you use the word regression people will flame.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck The Sig lord

ezgif-714024022.gif

#775 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

POPULAR

Is it really so hard to grasp that Shinkaruk has been playing through a hip injury that he came back early from, in an effort to make Team Canada? I'm literally scratching my head here.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#776 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,236 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

Is it really so hard to grasp that Shinkaruk has been playing through a hip injury that he came back early from, in an effort to make Team Canada? I'm literally scratching my head here.

"A person disagrees with you" - talking out of your ass. Lets get real here kiddo. I've seen at least 10 Tiger games this season on my tv, on top of that I watched both subway series.

Who the heck cares about Laughton. You should be bloody joking because we're talking about Hunter Shinkaruk here.

Yea?

What channel did you watch their games on? I don't sportsnet, nor TSN showing ANY of their games. So where the hell are you watching his games?

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#777 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,557 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

Yea?

What channel did you watch their games on? I don't sportsnet, nor TSN showing ANY of their games. So where the hell are you watching his games?

Yeah I smell bullsh!t as well. That's why he didn't answer.

Apart from the Subway series, his first televised game this year that I know of is on SHAW on December 13th.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter, 07 December 2013 - 12:49 PM.

qrC4ALSTG9AZO.gif

#778 TheOgRook

TheOgRook

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

Agreed. Some of these guys think god granted them with the skills of a 40 year nhl scout. Yeah you may watch the games but it doesn't mean you have a clue what is goin on :)

#779 Nas19

Nas19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hip and shoulder injury. He said it should be 100% by Christmas time which is in time for the World Juniors.

http://www.calgarysu...s-world-juniors

I'm really glad we didn't rush him into the NHL. He's not physically ready for it.

Edited by Nas19, 07 December 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#780 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

He's not going to make team canada.

Hope many of you aren't disappointment we'll only get to see horvat when you were expecting both.

Ouch. How does it feel?
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.