The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Are Canucks fans no different? Look at how the vast majority of Canucks fans want Nichushkin to fail.

I think fans just get annoyed when posters use every point Nichushkin gets as a reason why we should have chosen him over Horvat.

Which is a dumb way to compare players. The odds are there's players later in the first round and even in later rounds that will be better than Horvat. Doesn't mean he wasn't a good pick, or he won't be a good player for us.

Are Canucks fans no different? Look at how the vast majority of Canucks fans want Nichushkin to fail.

He's not. Daniel was never really a sniper, he passes off on far too many shots to be considered a sniper. He's more of a creator with finish. Just cause he's a better finisher then Henrik, doesn't make him a sniper. Don't get me wrong though, he's got one hell of an accurate shot, he just chooses not to use it. Ovechkin, Tavares, Stamkos are snipers, Daniel on the other is not in that league of shooters.

Shinkaruk isn't a sniper either imo. He's a lot like Patrick Kane in the sense that he creates plays and creates scoring chances, but has the ability to finish the play as well. He likes the puck on his stick. But that's just my take on Shinkaruk, I haven't seen enough of him to be sure about what kind of player he is.

Shinkaruk isn't a sniper either imo.
Scoring goals is one of this strengths. He's a shoot first player.

He's not. Daniel was never really a sniper, he passes off on far too many shots to be considered a sniper. He's more of a creator with finish. Just cause he's a better finisher then Henrik, doesn't make him a sniper. Don't get me wrong though, he's got one hell of an accurate shot, he just chooses not to use it. Ovechkin, Tavares, Stamkos are snipers, Daniel on the other is not in that league of shooters.

Shinkaruk isn't a sniper either imo. He's a lot like Patrick Kane in the sense that he creates plays and creates scoring chances, but has the ability to finish the play as well. He likes the puck on his stick. But that's just my take on Shinkaruk, I haven't seen enough of him to be sure about what kind of player he is.

As long as Shinkaruk helps this team create offense, I don't really care whether he should be labelled a sniper or not.

Daniel's right up there in shots too IIRC.

Scoring goals is one of this strengths. He's a shoot first player.

I think fans just get annoyed when posters use every point Nichushkin gets as a reason why we should have chosen him over Horvat.

Which is a dumb way to compare players. The odds are there's players later in the first round and even in later rounds that will be better than Horvat. Doesn't mean he wasn't a good pick, or he won't be a good player for us.

very true. However I am quite certain that in a few years from now, we are going to see Horvat get nominated for the Selke, not once, or twice but many times. And that's what Gillis wanted in that player. He also knows, that Nichushkin will put up more points then Horvat, but he wanted a future Selke candidate. There are many "2 way" players in the league, no doubt, a lot of these Canadian born players play a 2way game, but Horvat is something special.

Ya Daniel is no sniper

:picard:

He's not a true sniper, all round player who's really good at everything.

If you want to nit pick about it, I'll say that Shinkaruk has the potential to be a better shooter than Daniel. If you don't agree with that fine.

Daniel only has 2 seasons over 35 goals. Really good shooter?

Naslund had 3 seasons in a row over 40. Sniper?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'll stand pat that Shinkaruk could score more goals than Daniel.

very true. However I am quite certain that in a few years from now, we are going to see Horvat get nominated for the Selke, not once, or twice but many times. And that's what Gillis wanted in that player. He also knows, that Nichushkin will put up more points then Horvat, but he wanted a future Selke candidate. There are many "2 way" players in the league, no doubt, a lot of these Canadian born players play a 2way game, but Horvat is something special.

I watched the Dallas game, and big Nichushkin is going to be a unique hockey player, but even though he's playing in the NHL this season, its going to take him more time than Horvat to be a consistent contributor. Horvat may not out score VN in any regular season, but I bet that he's the type of guy that wills his team to playoff victories, being that he can make game impact plays in any number of ways, rather than just on the score sheet.

This pick i spart of the "re-set" in philosophy. If you look at recent cup champs with impact players like Toews, Bergeron, and Richards.... THIS is the type of player the Canucks wanted more of. Players that win from playing an all around game, and coming up clutch when it matters most. And if you listen to what the scouts say, thats exactly the type of player that Horvat projects to be. Most of those scouts also believe that theres no question that he will be that type of player, and that the wait wont be all that long.

VN will be a valueable player aswell, but he REALLY reminds me of Maxim Afinogenov. Now VN is 4" taller than Max, but that north south style is eerily similar.

Hunter bustkaruk

If he doesn't pick it up he's not going to make canada wj. Much more deserving players could slot in his spot at this point.

Team Canada he has nothing else to offer the team outside of offense.

Yea why would team Canada want offense. I'm sure they're not looking for that...

You're a sharp one.

Hunter bustkaruk

If he doesn't pick it up he's not going to make canada wj. Much more deserving players could slot in his spot at this point.

Team Canada he has nothing else to offer the team outside of offense.

He's coming off injury, he'll start lighting it up in time. It's not like he's playing poorly either. And Team Canada is always stocked with offensive players so if he only offers offense he certainly won't be alone. He's still in the mix for sure.

That's what I thought until I watched him play more games. He skates into the zone and scores goals like Kane, but he doesn't have the elite passing ability Kane has. Shinkaruk does go to the dirty areas a lot more than Kane though.

That's what I thought until I watched him play more games. He skates into the zone and scores goals like Kane, but he doesn't have the elite passing ability Kane has. Shinkaruk does go to the dirty areas a lot more than Kane though.

I think that's where the Parise comparisons are a little more accurate than the Kane comparisons.

Shinkaruk makes up for not drafting Nichuskin, although I am very happy with Bo Horvat. Smarter to make a risky pick later in the draft, although if Nichuskin hits his potential he could be a franchise player

If you consider Bergeron a franchise player, then Bo could be too.

Archived