The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Wow he's getting great care. From the surgery to a month (?) in Palm Springs to a rehab centre in Philly, he should be ready to go for summer training.

Isn't his dad a sports doctor or something? Probably got the best of the best from his dads advice and planning

some of you guys are going to be pretty disappointed. you sound like you think the kid was a top 5 pick.

i'm a shinkaruk fan, but i really don't think he is what you think he is.

he was projected to be a top 5 pick many times.by many analysts through his draft year.

Yup but his size and arrogance in interviews really cost him. He slid 10-15 spots

I keep hearing people talk about his arrogant interviews, yet nobody seems to have any to back up their statements. Any examples?

I just see it the same way people bash PK Subban for his exuberance and (in the NFL) Richard Sherman for his confidence in his ability. The kid knows he's good, and has personality in spades. I'm so tired of the media attacking people for excitement, then complaining when athletes give the same generic answers every time.

I also love the people saying he had arrogant interviews... Were you there? DO you know for a fact what the questions were and what his answers were? Has he ever responded to a media question off the ice in a arrogant manner? Has he showed thankfulness and excitement for being in the position he is in? Did he whine when he didn't make the WJC? No he sucked it up had surgery and is on the way to being an NHL player. How good he becomes is up to him and his coaches, is anyone here actually ever talked to Shinkaruk informally? I bet he's a pretty nice guy off the ice, and we all know he's a competitor on the ice. What's not to like?

Oh gee, the 'arrogant interviews' story again? Heard the same thing with Schroeder. He fell because he was undersized and didn't convince anyone before us that his skill would be enough to make up for it.

Frankly, ALL future stars should have arrogant interviews. What does that even mean anyway? He believes in himself? Oh noes!

Shinkaruk fell because of his hip, which was already tweaked up pre-draft. He needed a whole pile of time to recover from that and plenty of teams will whole-heartedly pass on that. If the Canucks are willing to roll the dice anyway and it pans out, good for them. But it's a risky move to take on a smallish winger. Fingers-crossed, knock on wood it works out and he's the next Parise.

What is his timeline for a full recovery? Or when will we see him again?

Is he going to play for the Tigers again?

Is he going to play for the Tigers only in the playoffs if they make it a few rounds?

Is he going to be ready for a few games with Utica, if Tigers are eliminated (guessing Comets won't make the playoffs)?

Or we will only see him a prospect/training camp next year?

What is his timeline for a full recovery? Or when will we see him again?

Is he going to play for the Tigers again?

Is he going to play for the Tigers only in the playoffs if they make it a few rounds?

Is he going to be ready for a few games with Utica, if Tigers are eliminated (guessing Comets won't make the playoffs)?

Or we will only see him a prospect/training camp next year?

The original timeline had him coming back between May and June, so he was never expected to play for the Tigers again, nonetheless the miracle of Utica making the playoffs. However, he keeps posting positive updates on his twitter, giving CDC the assumption that he might be ahead of schedule. Even then, he should probably take the time for more strength and conditioning than rushing a bad hip.

I think prospects development camp in late June is a fair goal.

Ooh man I hope unreasonable expectations around here will eventually go away.

I don't think its very unreasonable to think between the two of them they can get the same number of goals/points as Kesler. Better than Kesler individually? Maybe not. But together, probably.

• 2 weeks later...

That's likely a stretch, but if they do go quite far maybe he can. Just seeing him skate is pretty positive but who knows how much he can actually do at this point and how ahead of schedule he is in recovery (if at all).

Archived