The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Yeah, his lack of foot speed stood out to me in the game last night. I hadn't seen anyone in this thread really talking about it so I'm glad you brought it up. Wasn't sure if it was just me or the fact that I simply haven't seen him play enough to know whether that's typical for him, or whether he was tired/injured. But I guess there's a reason he was a third round pick.

Hopefully the Canucks get him on the same training program as Bo had last summer to help him with his skating.

He did take a shot off the foot a few games back, so I don't think we should judge his skating until some times passed and we know there's no lingering issues. At least if it is an issue, he's got some time to rehab and work at it. Really looking forward to training camp this year, should be really interesting.

As many have said, Cole needs to work on his skating over the summer, he doesn't appear to have AHL jump, let alone NHL jump yet. I don't think going to Utica would help him. Let him get on a training schedule over the summer, like Hutton is doing, and like Horvat did last summer. 3 months of solid work, and hard training should make a huge difference for him. He's got good size, he's smart on the ice, skating, skating skating.

Even though I posted a message suggesting Cole should go to Utica next week, it was a joke. Johngould is absolutely right. I kind of hope Cole did have a nagging foot injury that would explain why his skating does not look fast. If not he really does need to work on his skating. Sometimes guys his age can significantly improve their skating and sometimes they can't.

You're in it. Cole Cassels is slang for Mem Cup around here.

I hear they're changing the name to Cole Cassels Cup :P

Congrats Cole!

I do think he'll take some time to heal up and recover. Utica already has their guys in place also so he may not even see ice time there.

Then again... You never know. He's a tough Shane O'Brien and I could see him reporting to Utica if that's what Benning wants. I know I want to see him in some more action this year!

Could do both.

He's extremely unlikely to play injured or not but he could go to Utica to be around their cup run, get pro level training/medical etc.

Exactly, he could just go and not practice or play to get the experience. If he's injured, I'd prefer he gets the best care first and foremost, but if it's just recovery time after that then whatever, go experience the pros where you'll be next season.

Exactly, he could just go and not practice or play to get the experience. If he's injured, I'd prefer he gets the best care first and foremost, but if it's just recovery time after that then whatever, go experience the pros where you'll be next season.

Pretty sure his dad could give him "advise" on what to expect at the pro game without having to mingle. He's been in a pro dressing room probably half of his young life already, what would another possible 9 games do for him? Let's wait to see if he's injured first tho.

Plus you know Cole tries to conserve his energy when he can, given the amount of ice time he has to be out there for.

This is exactly what Benning said about Horvat last year. Conserving because of ice time. Better for his development to play less minutes but skating 100% in those fewer minutes.

Pretty sure his dad could give him "advise" on what to expect at the pro game without having to mingle. He's been in a pro dressing room probably half of his young life already, what would another possible 9 games do for him? Let's wait to see if he's injured first tho.

Yah, cause following Daddy to work when you're 5 and actually being in the dressing room as an athlete is pretty much the same thing.

Yah, cause following Daddy to work when you're 5 and actually being in the dressing room as an athlete is pretty much the same thing.

I'm pretty sure daddy has explained quite a bit of what is needed, what to expect, and how to go about the game, his entire life. Cole has probably played at a pretty high level from about 10 years old. I guess you two haven't noticed his maturity.

I'm pretty sure daddy has explained quite a bit of what is needed, what to expect, and how to go about the game, his entire life. Cole has probably played at a pretty high level from about 10 years old. I guess you two haven't noticed his maturity.

Sure I have. It has nothing to do with maturity

Can't hurt him to be around his future coaches, team mates, trainers etc. Especially while those guys are on a so far pretty successful playoff run.

And yet, being told what it's like/seeing it as a young kid and seeing it for yourself as a player is rarely the same thing.

Archived