The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

there's zero chance Cassels joins the Comets, he's been nursing an injury for months - Benning on 1040 right now

Sucks he's injured but it makes his play through this run all the more impressive IMO.

Kids going to be a monster for us.

pierre-mcguire-h1000-headshot.nbcsports-

was stuck behind laughton and MDC on the depth chart in his draft year. He never really had the opportunity to showcase

Actually he was stuck behind Boone Jenner and Scott Laughton. Pretty good mentors for a 17 year old to learn how to play 2-way hockey. Even in the role of 3rd line centre, Cole put up 48 points in 63 games and showed impressive defensive ability for his age and match ups.

During the draft, I recall Bobby Mac saying he was looking forward to seeing what kind of offensive prowess Cole would show once Jenner left and he was moved into the top six. He's been blossoming the whole time, and luckily for us he was in a position to grow slowly and that allowed Vancouver to snag him in the 3rd.

And even though its his dad who's saying it, here's a telling commentary for the play Cole has developed into...

"He's probably one of the smartest players I've ever seen as far as seeing the ice," Andrew Cassels, the Canucks' silky first-line centre from 1999 to 2002, said Sunday after Vancouver selected Cole in the third round of the National Hockey League draft. "He's got great hands, but he has an edge to him that I didn't have." - Andrew Cassels, July 2013.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/draft+notes+Vancouver+Canucks+select+Andrew+Cassels+Cole+third+round+draft/8602023/story.html#ixzz3c3Jr22hV

That worked out beautifully for us. What a steal Cassels could be.

I love it when that happens. We also tried that with Miles Liberati (was like the 7th d-man on the Knights). I think it is better to go after those unknowns than those that are starting and not doing too well, especially with later picks.

I love it when that happens. We also tried that with Miles Liberati (was like the 7th d-man on the Knights). I think it is better to go after those unknowns than those that are starting and not doing too well, especially with later picks.

The difference between Cole Cassels and Miles Liberati, is Cassels has the pedigree and bloodlines. Much less of an unknown than Liberati.

Cassels is on 1040 right now, his Dad had hip replacement surgery, slept overnight in hospital and then drove 20 hours to see Cole in the Mem Cup.

He's already being cagey about his injury.

Refuses to take credit for shutting down McDavid.

I heard that too. Character guy!

I LOVE that this brilliant pick was a throw-in with one of the FLO trades. Was it the Booth deal? ...

Yes, it was.

Oct 22, 2011 Panthers traded Booth, Steven Reinprecht (who by then was a 35 YO minor leaguer) and a 2013-3 to the Canucks for Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm. Cassels was selected with that pick which turned out to be 85th overall.

Just a question. If Cole can be as effective as his father. Would you consider him a successful draft pick?

If Cole plays 100+ games in the NHL you consider it a successful draft pick.

it will be 2 or 3 years before we see him make the Nhl though. He will be on the Comets for the next couple of years before getting NHL ice time.

I LOVE that this brilliant pick was a throw-in with one of the FLO trades. Was it the Booth deal?

Surprising how people complain about our dealings with the Panthers. Would certainly do them all again, on balance.

yup. Traded the pick to Florida for Higgins and then got it back with Booth. Even without the pick I would say it was a good trade. Booth had a good year and Samuelsson probably would have walked.

Archived