The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

49 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

McDavid with a sigh of relief knowing Cassels is no longer in the same division..

Once Oilers signed Lucic, and Canucks saw how effectively Lucic can shut down McDavid in key situations, Cole became redundant.

Too bad for the young guy.   He was playing some of his best AHL hockey in the last months of the season.   Hopefully he can parlay that into contract with someone else.   European teams would be happy to get him on board too.   

3 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

I really don't believe that.

There were reports around, suggesting he was the focal point for acquisitions on potential trades that season. But, how true they are is another story. Either way, sad to see him go, but i understand he wasnt cutting it. 

On 26/04/2018 at 11:36 AM, VegasCanuck said:

Not only will he get an extension, he will challenge for 4th line on the Canucks next season and will likely be here late in camp.

You're overly equating goal production to value. I've said this a number of times, I firmly believe that the Canucks view this guy as more valuable for goal suppression and shot suppression than they do for his own actual production.

When Utica has been hurt by injuries and he's been put into a more offensive role, he's shown that he can respond and produce. Canucks see him as a 3rd line, make the other teams top line cringe to play against, kind of guy.

As far as McKenzie goes, we only have 32 contracts used out of our 50 for next season. Cassels getting signed will have no impact on whether McKenzie gets signed, that will be completely on whether or not Benning sees enough potential there that makes it worthwhile committing to 3 years of developing him into an NHL player.

Regardless of role you need to produce or fall by the wayside. Even 4th line players need to contribute 'some' offence. His AHL production didn't bode well for an NHL career. Cole isn't going to make anybody but the fans cringe at the NHL level.

It looks like he never really recovered from the time he missed with his abdominal injury after that performance against McDavid. That hurt his rookie year in the AHL and he likely never truly got his confidence back for an extended period of time. 

I'm glad that management is being a lot stingier with their NHL contract slots. Hopefully no more voids like LaPlante, Stewart, etc. in the future. 

It seems like not that long ago he was considered by many as a top 5 prospect in our pool. How times have changed.

I hope he can sign an AHL contract with Utica and continue developing. I still haven't ruled out a bottom 6 role for him in the future.

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It seems like not that long ago he was considered by many as a top 5 prospect in our pool. How times have changed.

I hope he can sign an AHL contract with Utica and continue developing. I still haven't ruled out a bottom 6 role for him in the future.

yup.  i really think the Canucks need to see him develop for one more year.    

I'd like to see him another year as well, even if only on an AHL contract. I expect they'll offer him something with the Comets (or there's still the possibility of the Canucks offering less than his qualifying offer).

Archived