The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Cassels, McCann and even perhaps Vey are making a serious play for the Canucks top-2 center positions once Henrik and Bonino slow down their place. The Sedins are proving they've still got great scoring ability but Bonino is probably better suited to a 3rd line center duty, and Richardson/Matthias really are no better than 4th line centers. That means that we'll have the next 3 or 4 years to slowly transition from Henrik-Bonino-Richardson into something more along the lines of Cassels-Horvat-Gaunce, with McCann and Vey likely to have to play wings along with Virtanen, Jensen, Shinkaruk and Kassian. That's a pretty stacked top-9.

Cassels play is really giving the team more options now at center position and luxury to move Gaunce to wing.

It looks like the Sedins have got at least 2, 3 years of first line production in them. Bonino clearly has got the skill to be the second line center. So, I think we are set on top 2 centers for the next 2, 3 years but would need significant upgrade on bottom 2 centers.

The ideal bottom centers are the ones who are good at their job but also has capabilities to fill in temporarily on the second line if injury occurs. We have many potential candidates now with Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, McCann, and Vey. All of these guys can start as bottom line centers but can fill in as necessary.

In about two years from now, we might get another crack at the cup (if we can upgrade our defence),

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata (~ 70 goals)

Jensen-Bonino-Vey (~ 55 goals)

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kassian (~ 45 goals)

Gaunce-Cassels-Hansen/Dorsett (~ 30 goals)

Higgins (contract year?)

Burrows (re-signed?)

with McCann and Virtanen also possibly being ready to step in.

Edler-Tanev (~ 15 goals)

Hamhuis-Defensive D (~ 5-10 goals)

Sbisa-Corrado (~ 5-10 goals)

Bieksa

Miller

Markstrom/Lack

This is a team capable of scoring about 3 goals per game. They can win most games given good goaltending and tight defensive structure. With either an elite puck moving defender or top notch defensive defenceman, this team can win Stanley cup. Of course, this is assuming that the Sedins can still score nearly every game and that Vrbata is still good with the twins and sign on for at least one more season. And of course, some of these young players like Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and Cassels may not be ready for prime ice time even in two years. But if this team can develop prospects half as good as LA Kings, we will be golden.

Markstrom is an RFA this offseason. Is he not eligible for a two way contract? Not sure if waivers still apply.

2 way has no impact on waivers, it's a function of games played and years since first contract signing/age at which it was signed. 2 way only means he gets paid different amounts in the nhl vs the ahl (ahl lower)

Cassels has an assist so for today. He also got into some rough stuff.

3 - OSH C. Cassels, 4:20 - Instigator, 2 min (PP)

3 - OSH C. Cassels, 4:20 - Fighting, 5 min

3 - OSH C. Cassels, 4:20 - 10-Min. Misc., 0 min

Ya I saw that, Cassels teammate got rocked and Cassels jumped in for some vengence, kinda one of those silly fights off a clean hit but good to see he's not afraid to drop the gloves or stick up for teammates.

@TysonGiuriato:

#Canucks prospect Cole Cassels with one assist and a fight for Oshawa tonight. Now has 27 points (6-21-27) and 36 PIM in 15 games.

Minus the penalty minutes, that stat line looks like something his Dad would have had.

Andrew Cassels, the only Canuck player, other than Henrik, that I've ever seen pass the puck while on a clear cut breakaway.

Minus the penalty minutes, that stat line looks like something his Dad would have had.

Andrew Cassels, the only Canuck player, other than Henrik, that I've ever seen pass the puck while on a clear cut breakaway.

Andrew Cassels had 37G 97A 134PTS in 56 games played during his 19 year old season.

Cole would be on pace for 25G 98A 123PTS in 56 games during his 19 year old season.

Andrew Cassels had 37G 97A 134PTS in 56 games played during his 19 year old season.

Cole would be on pace for 25G 98A 123PTS in 56 games during his 19 year old season.

If Cole turns out to be just as good as his dad, I'll be ecstatic.

There's another 2nd line centre. People here are worried about not having an elite centre, but if we can have McCann, Cassels, Horvat, and Gaunce up the middle, I see no reason to be worried.

However, I have a feeling McCann is going to be freaking good.

Andrew Cassels never played a very physical game. If Cole has a solid offensive game combined with a

nasty side it is a big bonus. Love the progress.

If Cole turns out to be just as good as his dad, I'll be ecstatic.

There's another 2nd line centre. People here are worried about not having an elite centre, but if we can have McCann, Cassels, Horvat, and Gaunce up the middle, I see no reason to be worried.

However, I have a feeling McCann is going to be freaking good.

Exactly!

We are likely to have 4 quality 2nd line centers to build around.

It may be hard to keep them all if they do pan out but what a team we may have if them and Shink and Virt., etc. pan out as well.

Has the CHL experienced the same drop in scoring over the years that the NHL has? (due to improved goal tending, faster/better defense, etc)

If so than that stat comparison with his pops would be even more impressive.

Archived