The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

I want him to make a decision on which country he will represent not flip flop on different countries.

Sure Canada has too much talent but I don't want that the reason he plays for the States.

He would be flip flopping if he played for Canada since he accepted team USA's invite in the summer. That to me signals his intention to represent team USA.

Either he plays for the States or he likely doesn't play. It's a pretty easy decision. This tournament is too important to his development to skip. Plus team USA needs him more anyways.

I dunno.. He likely wants the experience of the tournament. Something every hockey player dreams of growing up. For you and I, it was to play for Team Canada, but for someone with dual-citizenship, the opportunities are broadened.

He should try for whatever team he believes he can make, because the experience is so beneficial that it outweighs simple nationalism.

Yeah, I agree. But honestly he seems too desperate to play in the World Juniors that he's kind of looking bad toward USA and Canada.

My worry is that since he is playing for Team OHL in the SSS that USA might just not include him on the team because they don't want a player who decided to represent Canada in a tournament. He still might make Canada but chances are less likely.

He would be flip flopping if he played for Canada since he accepted team USA's invite in the summer. That to me signals his intention to represent team USA.

Either he plays for the States or he likely doesn't play. It's a pretty easy decision. This tournament is too important to his development to skip. Plus team USA needs him more anyways.

He is representing Hockey Canada because the SSS is a CHL event and CHL is overlooked by Hockey Canada.

What I said earlier, USA might not include for the reason of accepting to play for Canada (OHL) at the SSS.

Yeah, I agree. But honestly he seems too desperate to play in the World Juniors that he's kind of looking bad toward USA and Canada.

My worry is that since he is playing for Team OHL in the SSS that USA might just not include him on the team because they don't want a player who decided to represent Canada in a tournament. He still might make Canada but chances are less likely.

He is representing Hockey Canada because the SSS is a CHL event and CHL is overlooked by Hockey Canada.

What I said earlier, USA might not include for the reason of accepting to play for Canada (OHL) at the SSS.

I really doubt Cassels and his agent were so daft as to not think to ask USA Hockey before agreeing to play for Canada.

He's representing the OHL by playing for team OHL. The league he plays in.

This has nothing to do with World Juniors because it's a separate event altogether.

This is just a chance for him to showcase himself against international competition. I'm sure team USA management will be watching him very closely.

He's representing the OHL by playing for team OHL. The league he plays in.

This has nothing to do with World Juniors because it's a separate event altogether.

This is just a chance for him to showcase himself against international competition. I'm sure team USA management will be watching him very closely.

The SSS is a Hockey Canada event, and the CHL is a part of Hockey Canada. He is representing Canada by participating in the SSS. The Super Series is an event to evaluate possible players that will play at the World Juniors, Hockey Canada scouts will be there watching and evaluating.

USA Hockey might have a problem with him playing for Ontario (Canada) though.

The SSS is a Hockey Canada event, and the CHL is a part of Hockey Canada. He is representing Canada by participating in the SSS. The Super Series is an event to evaluate possible players that will play at the World Juniors, Hockey Canada scouts will be there watching and evaluating.

I could be wrong, but the way I see it is that Cassels representing Ontario is like the Sedins representing the West in the Allstar game. I don't think it's related to IIHF, but the league that he plays in.

It could be a Hockey Canada event simply because it is Canada based leagues playing.

:picard::picard::picard:

You need to learn how to read. He's representing his league and the team he currently plays on. Just because HC organizes it doesn't mean he's betraying Team USA. He's not the only American playing in the competition.

:picard::picard::picard:

You need to learn how to read. He's representing his league and the team he currently plays on. Just because HC organizes it doesn't mean he's betraying Team USA. He's not the only American playing in the competition.

He isn't? Who else is in it that is American? Cassels has dual-citizenship but is there anybody else who can play for USA that is participating in the SSS?

I'm not saying he's betraying USA but he accepted to play for the OHL which is a league that Hockey Canada is cooperated with. You know that the Super Series is Canadians vs Russians right? It's a part of evaluating players for the World Juniors.

I could be wrong, but the way I see it is that Cassels representing Ontario is like the Sedins representing the West in the Allstar game. I don't think it's related to IIHF, but the league that he plays in.

It could be a Hockey Canada event simply because it is Canada based leagues playing.

It's not really a good comparison because West doesn't represent a nationality while the SSS does. The SSS is a Hockey Canada event and the CHL is cooperated with Hockey Canada, only Canadians participate because it is a chance for the Hockey Canada scouts to look at possible players who will represent Canada at the World Juniors against Russians.

Maybe Hockey Canada asked him to be a part of the SSS because they want him to play for them in the World Juniors. Or maybe Cole saw it as an opportunity to showcase himself to the USA Hockey scouts in a game against the top Russian players who will be in the WJC.

Cassels has played in international tournaments for Canada before so I don't get what the big deal is.

He isn't? Who else is in it that is American? Cassels has dual-citizenship but is there anybody else who can play for USA that is participating in the SSS?

Brendan Lemieuix, born in the USA, is another dual citizen.

Maybe Hockey Canada asked him to be a part of the SSS because they want him to play for them in the World Juniors. Or maybe Cole saw it as an opportunity to showcase himself to the USA Hockey scouts in a game against the top Russian players who will be in the WJC.

Cassels has played in international tournaments for Canada before so I don't get what the big deal is.

Brendan Lemieuix, born in the USA, is another dual citizen.

The final roster for both nations will be finalized around the end of November so it seems like he hasn't made an indication to USA Hockey or Hockey Canada which nation he will represent. I don't have a problem with it but you would think at 19 he already made the decision what nation he'll represent. I kind of don't want him flip flopping on nations before the World Juniors but it seems he's already done that.

He played for Ontario at the U17s, USA's Summer Development Camp but didn't participate because of injury (still accepted the invite) and now the SSS. None are IIHF sanctioned events but the country he plays for at the World Juniors (if he does) is the team he'll represent for the rest of his career.

Brendan Lemieux played for Canada at the Ivan Hlinka (although it isn't an IIHF sanctioned event), he also didn't get an invite to USA's Summer Development Camp which means he probably already indicated to USA Hockey that he won't represent them.

Archived