The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Tied with Mitch Marner now, a guy projected to be a top 10 pick in a deep draft.

And only 4 back of Domi, an 11th overall pick in the same draft.

Yea I'd say he's a pretty good pick for a 3rd rounder.

According to Tyson Giuriato (Canucks prospects guy) he plays 5-on-5 with Hunter Smith and Bradley Latour. Smith is a 2nd round pick who was passed in his first year of eligibility. Latour is undrafted. So you know he is the big piece of the line. He does get prime PP time though.

What a stud!

2013 could turn out to be the best draft in Canucks history. With Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Cassels likely to have long careers in the NHL, and Subban could turn into something great as well.

Thanks Gillis, I guess :unsure:

Cederholm, as a 5th rounder, has a chance of becoming a reliable depth (5-7) defenseman for us too. Obviously you want late-round gems, but these depth guys are the types of players you try to get with those late picks. If Cederholm becomes a reliable, physical, every day 14-ish minute bottom pairing guy for us, that's a successful pick. Anything more he offers is a bonus.

According to Tyson Giuriato (Canucks prospects guy) he plays 5-on-5 with Hunter Smith and Bradley Latour. Smith is a 2nd round pick who was passed in his first year of eligibility. Latour is undrafted. So you know he is the big piece of the line. He does get prime PP time though.

Also goes to show he wasn't riding Dal Colle's coattails last year either.

Looks like Cassels is developing into our version of Marchand...

Two minute penalty for kneeing today followed by a 5 minute penalty and a game misconduct for a check to the head.

He was tossed halfway through the game before the Generals started scoring, so no points for him.

Love that he's getting involved physically. Don't love the dirty play.

1 - OSH C. Cassels, 6:25 - Kneeing, 2 min (PP)
2 -OSH C. Cassels, 13:51 - Check to the Head, 5 min (PP)
2 - OSH C. Cassels, 13:51 - Game Misc-Check to Head, (48.3) 0 min

I agree, it's nice that he plays with such an edge but he'll need to be a little more disciplined than this. Luckily he's a 19 year old junior player and not a 26 year old.

1 - OSH C. Cassels, 6:25 - Kneeing, 2 min (PP)

2 -OSH C. Cassels, 13:51 - Check to the Head, 5 min (PP)

2 - OSH C. Cassels, 13:51 - Game Misc-Check to Head, (48.3) 0 min

I agree, it's nice that he plays with such an edge but he'll need to be a little more disciplined than this. Luckily he's a 19 year old junior player and not a 26 year old.

Yeah, you don't want to see dumb penalties but look at Dan hamhuis' pims from juniors. High totals in juniors don't set a guy on a certain path in their pro career necessarily.

Yeah, you don't want to see dumb penalties but look at Dan hamhuis' pims from juniors. High totals in juniors don't set a guy on a certain path in their pro career necessarily.

LOL I just did, and what the hell was wrong with Hamhuis?! Holy sh!t..

He had pretty high PIMS in the first half of his NHL career too before settling down..

I had no idea Hammer was a little sh!t disturber LOL

Cole is going to be our Bolland for sure, but hopefully better. They are the same size, similar Junior numbers, and fiesty hard to play against styles.

I expect Cole will have a higher peak than Bolland in the NHL just based on his playmaking ability, and some serious speculation. Perfect third line centre to play with Kassian in my opinion.

There's a difference between being a player that crosses the line and one that battles, gets into scrums, etc. There's more than one way to get PIMs. Cassels gets most of his PIMs from getting into it with other players but he does need work on his discipline. He is coming off of a sort of recent Super Series where he gave a Russian player a pretty bad spear.

I don't worry about him though. He's a mean player but is a pretty relaxed and even-keeled guy off the ice. Well, that's the impression I get from interviews.

There's a difference between being a player that crosses the line and one that battles, gets into scrums, etc. There's more than one way to get PIMs. Cassels gets most of his PIMs from getting into it with other players but he does need work on his discipline. He is coming off of a sort of recent Super Series where he gave a Russian player a pretty bad spear.

I don't worry about him though. He's a mean player but is a pretty relaxed and even-keeled guy off the ice. Well, that's the impression I get from interviews.

same as Hamhuis. they both are very even keeled in interviews. I don't claim to have watched Hamhuis in junior but to get that many penalty minutes, there had to have been some undisciplined plays in there. The point I was making though is that racking up PIMs in junior doesn't necessarily turn into a problem as a pro. I personally prefer forwards who have to learn to curve their aggression rather than a guy who has to manufacture it.

Archived