The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

same as Hamhuis. they both are very even keeled in interviews. I don't claim to have watched Hamhuis in junior but to get that many penalty minutes, there had to have been some undisciplined plays in there. The point I was making though is that racking up PIMs in junior doesn't necessarily turn into a problem as a pro. I personally prefer forwards who have to learn to curve their aggression rather than a guy who has to manufacture it.

In spite of his suspension > this remains true!

Tucked his elbow lead with the shoulder, just has to learn not hit a guy who is a foot from the boards with his back to him.

Completely agree with this. The only dirty part of the hit was that it was targeted to the head.

1. Watching the replay, Cassels begins to glide at the top of the circle; not charging.

2. He tucks his elbow, not a elbow.

Reckless hit, was going in the corner for 1 purpose, he basically didn't know what to do with his stick, clearly no intention of going for the puck.

Better now, than when he joins the Canucks :)

In hockey, you are allowed to target a player without "playing the puck". The definition of body checking is the separate "man from puck", something taught in peewee (bantam now with the new rules). I don't like it when people miss the idea that just because you don't play the puck doesn't make it a reckless hit.

Haven't you ever heard your coach say: "You have to take one or the other, man or puck", because you usually can't take both.

I in no way endorse this hit, because it was an illegal check to the head, but that was it. The Owen Sound player put himself in a bad position, did a horrible job in retrieving the puck (he bobbled it) and he put himself in a vulnerable position that Cassels decided to act on.

It's a fast game boys, we all know that and Cassels will bounce back. Fingers crossed for WJC

ImportantShallowGossamerwingedbutterfly.

it looks like cassels thought the guy was going to finish turning (he started to turn up the boards) and was all set up to lay him out in anticipation, but the guy stopped turning and played the puck facing the boards instead. that's a foolish and unsafe play on both of their parts, but more unlucky for cassels, since what looked like it was going to be a clean hit ended up turning ugly and very illegal once the kid stopped turning and Cole got a suspension that may have left him off the WJC roster as a result..

It's not like cole ran him and put his shoulder into his numbers, he got the back of his arm/shoulder. it wasn't nearly as bad as people were describing.

Completely agree with this. The only dirty part of the hit was that it was targeted to the head.

1. Watching the replay, Cassels begins to glide at the top of the circle; not charging.

2. He tucks his elbow, not a elbow.

In hockey, you are allowed to target a player without "playing the puck". The definition of body checking is the separate "man from puck", something taught in peewee (bantam now with the new rules). I don't like it when people miss the idea that just because you don't play the puck doesn't make it a reckless hit.

Haven't you ever heard your coach say: "You have to take one or the other, man or puck", because you usually can't take both.

I in no way endorse this hit, because it was an illegal check to the head, but that was it. The Owen Sound player put himself in a bad position, did a horrible job in retrieving the puck (he bobbled it) and he put himself in a vulnerable position that Cassels decided to act on.

It's a fast game boys, we all know that and Cassels will bounce back. Fingers crossed for WJC

Exactly! Seperate the man from the puck.....and then walk away and go to the bench? No! Seperate the man from the puck and steal the puck away. Can't certainly do that with holding your stick like a marching band dude.

What I mean is he basically switch hand with his stick to better launch himself in the guy. If that isn't reckless, I don't know what is.

Exactly! Seperate the man from the puck.....and then walk away and go to the bench? No! Seperate the man from the puck and steal the puck away. Can't certainly do that with holding your stick like a marching band dude.

What I mean is he basically switch hand with his stick to better launch himself in the guy. If that isn't reckless, I don't know what is.

Every situation is different, the goal of hitting is to just separate the player from the puck, if you can get the puck after then that's a bonus; you have teammates on the ice for a reason. If all you want is the puck then go play house league hockey because then you don't have to worry about body checking.

Last I checked, there aren't any rules restricted you from repositioning your body/stick positioning in order to line up a hit (if anything he was trying to avoid giving a high stick).. so just because it looks a little unorthodox doesn't mean it's illegal. P.K. Subban hit Brad Marchand with his ASS. 9 times out of 10 that hit would be clean, but the player hit unfortunately bobbled the puck and put himself in harms way, and cassels didn't really have time to readjust at that point.

How in any way did Cassels launch himself, if he did, it would have been called a charge. He glided from the top of the circle for god sakes. Watch the play and consider all the variables before you open your mouth.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 18m

Team CAN has zero NCAA players. Team USA will have some CHLers. Likely: Erne (TB/Quebec); Milano (CBJ/Plymouth); DeLeo (WPG/Portland)...

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 11m

...McCarron (MTL/London); Cassels (VAN/Oshawa); Carlo (2015/Tri City); DeAngelo (TB/Sarnia); Nedeljkovic (CAR/Plymouth); Halverson (NYR/SSM)

For what it's worth, Bob thinks Cassels is "likely".

He's got a history of chippy plays. He needs to tone it down. I never said he was like Marchand, I just don't want him to turn into a player like him, but by all means, call me an idiot.

Man when pimp c calls you an idiot. You should definitely take pride in that.

Excited to see a couple more Nucks prospects in this tourney, even if they are for opposing countries.

My two cents on the hit, is it was a good hockey play gone bad. There is certainly responsibility on the player to avoid putting himself in a vulnerable position, but there is no denying that there is responsibility on Cassels to recognize (no matter how fast teh play is developing) that player is vulnerable and back off a bit. But it was a clean shoulder check, feet planted square, and he was gliding into the corner. Could have been A LOT worse. That being said, the CHL has always been hard on head shot suspensions and for good reason. These are kids in the prime of their development, who are unpaid, they more than the NHL, really need this sort of stuff out of their game. Can you imagine the cry for blood had Cassels been on the other end..?

He's got a history of chippy plays. He needs to tone it down. I never said he was like Marchand, I just don't want him to turn into a player like him, but by all means, call me an idiot.

I hate Marchand because of his antics and the fact that he's a Bruin. That being said if Cole Cassels turned into Marchand 2.0, but at C, I would be thrilled with that. Don't forget as annoying as Marchand is, he is an effective 200ft player that puts up points. I would absolutely love to get everything Marchand brings on the ice out of Cassels, even with some of the off ice antics. Of course we're all entitled to our opinions, but players don't like going up against guys like Marchand or Cassels because they are flat out hard to play against. They get under your skin, while limiting the opposition offensively and often contributing on the scoresheet. How could you not want Cassels to develop into that?!?!?!

Archived