The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

I still don't see Cassels as a NHL regular.  That said, He has been good the last little biI but he has a long way to go. I have that AHL Live thing and have really enjoyed it.  Last night was real fun to watch.  I would recommend AHL Live.  The games are fun to watch and it is nice to see how some of our prospects are doing first hand

9 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I still don't see Cassels as a NHL regular.  That said, He has been good the last little biI but he has a long way to go. I have that AHL Live thing and have really enjoyed it.  Last night was real fun to watch.  I would recommend AHL Live.  The games are fun to watch and it is nice to see how some of our prospects are doing first hand

Interesting suggestion..may consider that for next yr. Games on NHL.com(especially US broadcasts), seem like a glitzy, pricey, overdressed, dishonest wh*re.

Miss the love of hockey purely for the game's beauty. So many corporate entities hitch their wagons...

So happy he’s starting to thrive I was pumped when we drafted him. I really hope over the next couple 2-3 years he can have the same growing pains and develope into a shut down 4th line centre something like manny. My ultimate dream would be to having a 4th line that can be trusted against Mcdavid and co 

22 is not old or a write off considered his injuries. We have Dowd on our team who is in his 2nd year in the NHL and he he 26?

Still time for Cole. Finish the year strong, sign a new deal and hopefully be healthy and a great summer and come to camp to impress!

Interesting the way things have turned around lately.

Assuming the 14 points in 16 games mentioned by Sid and Ray above is correct, that translates to him going through his first 18 games this season with one point, an assist.  Last season he had 6 goals and 5 assists for 11 points in 66 games.  This year so far he's at 15 points in 34 games.  His first season, 2015-16, was only 7 points in 67 games but Travis Green, his coach at the time, had warned not to take anything at least from the early part of that season because of the recovery from injury.

By comparison, though, Gaunce in his 20 year old season had 29 pts in 74 games, in his 2nd season (to compare with Cassels' 11 point season) Gaunce scored 38 points in 46 AHL games (spending part of the season with the Canucks) and his 3rd season, equivalent to this one for Cassels, Gaunce played almost full time with the Canucks.

It's a great relief to see Cassels start to come around and it's nice to be able to consider him a prospect, but imo he still has a long way to go.  Because the forwards in Utica aren't very deep (with Chaput in Vancouver the choices go Boucher, Goldobin, then the much-dreaded Megna) it is possible he'll get an injury callup.  On the other hand, he hasn't beaten down the door to deserve a callup and I'd be happy if he gets a contract extension and a look in training camp next season.

Shoulda sold high on Cole after the Mem cup!!!!! Heard high rnd picks were offered. Ahhh well hindsight.

I'm still pulling for the kid but he looks like Chaput light these days. Unfortunate. I remember his first prospects tourney with Bo and Hunter S he looked like a young hyper aggressive chirpy fore checker in your face young C of Alex Burrows. Haven't seen that kid in years.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Shoulda sold high on Cole after the Mem cup!!!!! Heard high rnd picks were offered. Ahhh well hindsight.

I'm still pulling for the kid but he looks like Chaput light these days. Unfortunate. I remember his first prospects tourney with Bo and Hunter S he looked like a young hyper aggressive chirpy fore checker in your face young C of Alex Burrows. Haven't seen that kid in years.

Injuries really hampered him nut this recent success is encouraging. If he keeps up the point pace he's on now he will almost for sure get a contract. He's very good defensively so theres room on our team for him if he can learn to chip in a few more points

On 1/18/2018 at 5:51 AM, alfstonker said:

I've never lost faith in him - after all if he was Russian we would have been demonstrating outside Canucks Central for getting him a shot in Vancouver.

A short while back I suggested we give him a few games up here and was shot down.

I actually don't want to wait till after the trade deadline, Cassels is a worker and he has pushback, why not give him a shot sooner rather than later - give Gaunce a well earned rest.

Some players actually play better in a higher level of competition and respond to better line mates. Cassel seemed to confirm that in the MC.

The objection to calling Cassels up so soon is that it could ruin his momentum. He's in a good situation right now, playing the right way with good linemates and getting rewarded on the scoresheet rather than just the pride of solid defensive work. If he continues with that as more space opens up, then we'll have to give him a look.

I just don't see a pressing need right now to disrupt what he's finally starting to figure out. Certainly Gaunce isn't so tired from his restricted minutes that he needs a break. Maybe he could continue the current pace with better players in the NHL, but that's not enough reason. There's lots of time left this season to see him if he keeps it up.

17 hours ago, hammertime said:

I don't know about those rumours, particularly since he'd been playing through an injury in the Memorial Cup and immediately had it fixed after. I don't see many teams offering a big return for a prospect until they see how he recovers from the surgery. The skill set is still there, and maybe we're seeing it emerging these last 16 games, but he's certainly had a slower development path than many expected after his MC winning performance.

14 hours ago, elvis15 said:

The objection to calling Cassels up so soon is that it could ruin his momentum. He's in a good situation right now, playing the right way with good linemates and getting rewarded on the scoresheet rather than just the pride of solid defensive work. If he continues with that as more space opens up, then we'll have to give him a look.

I just don't see a pressing need right now to disrupt what he's finally starting to figure out. Certainly Gaunce isn't so tired from his restricted minutes that he needs a break. Maybe he could continue the current pace with better players in the NHL, but that's not enough reason. There's lots of time left this season to see him if he keeps it up.

I don't know about those rumours, particularly since he'd been playing through an injury in the Memorial Cup and immediately had it fixed after. I don't see many teams offering a big return for a prospect until they see how he recovers from the surgery. The skill set is still there, and maybe we're seeing it emerging these last 16 games, but he's certainly had a slower development path than many expected after his MC winning performance.

Look at it the other way round. Some players don't excel in the AHL and need better players around them to thrive. The way Cassels shut down McDavid in the MC could suggest he is a "big time" player who responds to challenges.

All I am saying is take advantage  of his form surge and see how he performs in Vancouver with better players.

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Look at it the other way round. Some players don't excel in the AHL and need better players around them to thrive. The way Cassels shut down McDavid in the MC could suggest he is a "big time" player who responds to challenges.

All I am saying is take advantage  of his form surge and see how he performs in Vancouver with better players.

I agree with your assessment. I don’t think right now is the time to call him up. But in the last 10-15 games it would be nice to see him and a few others get a crack at the big show to see if there’s anything there.

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

We should trade him while his value is at a high peak. Throw him into any trade to sweeten the draft pick coming back. Waste of ice time when we could be playing other, better prospects. 

Only thing Cassels is returning is another AHLer.  Why would any GM give up a pick (or a better pick) for a player they could sign for free in the off season?  I think you pulled something in trying to show off your asset management skillz.

2 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

We should trade him while his value is at a high peak. Throw him into any trade to sweeten the draft pick coming back. Waste of ice time when we could be playing other, better prospects. 

Who? Who is this magic center prospect not getting ice time right now because of cole in Utica? Further more, why would we dump a player who is just starting to get it at a professional level.

When Cassels has been elevated in the lineup he has scored this year. I think his game is coming along to the point where we could expect him to push for a call up next year. I know he will require waivers, but realistically I doubt anyone grabs him if he doesn't make the team.

Seems like he is being groomed into a perfect 4C similar to Brad Richardson when he played in Van. 

Archived