The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Benning didn't sign either of them to their current contracts. I'd even argue Higgins is worth his 2.5 cap hit.

I have nothing against either player. We need to make space for the young guys, and those two should have some trade value. Burrows gets 4.5! I guess they both have NTCs?

Cassels will come up if any centre gets injured and may come up if Vey and Dorset can't win enough FO's ( Dorset was better then Vey last year).

Vey and Kenins or Virtanen would sit in the press box.

Last year was a fairly light injury year, mostly we have one or more of the forwards off injured at all times.

I can see Cole sticking if he can win FO's and do what he does.

Cassels will come up if any centre gets injured and may come up if Vey and Dorset can't win enough FO's ( Dorset was better then Vey last year).

Vey and Kenins or Virtanen would sit in the press box.

Last year was a fairly light injury year, mostly we have one or more of the forwards off injured at all times.

I can see Cole sticking if he can win FO's and do what he does.

Me too. He will start the year in Utica, but once he's called, he won't be going back down. Now, who do we trade to make room for him?

Me too. He will start the year in Utica, but once he's called, he won't be going back down. Now, who do we trade to make room for him?

No trade needed if he comes up due to injury, otherwise Vey would be the easy target to trade but if Higgins isn't really doing it for us I could see him being traded as well...good cap hit though.

No trade needed if he comes up due to injury, otherwise Vey would be the easy target to trade but if Higgins isn't really doing it for us I could see him being traded as well...good cap hit though.

Cassels fits the bottom six role (for now) nicely. I just don't see Vey being at all successful in that role. He would be my choice, but Higgens going is okay too. I wonder if Burrows would be asked?

I have nothing against either player. We need to make space for the young guys, and those two should have some trade value. Burrows gets 4.5! I guess they both have NTCs?

It may be that management is taking a wait and see approach. JB has stated that he would make room for a young player if need be. They'd have to be pretty good.

It may be that management is taking a wait and see approach. JB has stated that he would make room for a young player if need be. They'd have to be pretty good.

Good point. They would have to be better than the vet, and show it over a prolonged period. I wonder how many games the young guy would need to play well, before Benning would trade the vet? 10?,20?,40?

I think Cassels will play the entire season in the AHL and become a key player

His foot speed isn't quite there yet to jump right into the nhl

Maybe he's a guy who comes up for the playoffs? I just see him as a lot better option as the fourth line centre than Vey.

Maybe he's a guy who comes up for the playoffs? I just see him as a lot better option as the fourth line centre than Vey.

Vey played 2 full seasons in the AHL being called up as a black ace during LA"s playoff runs and played most of last season in the nhl. When he wasn't playing he was practicing and watching from the press box

But Cassels a junior player is a better option at 4th line center...........

I disagree

Cassels fits the bottom six role (for now) nicely. I just don't see Vey being at all successful in that role. He would be my choice, but Higgens going is okay too. I wonder if Burrows would be asked?

Disagree entirely. Vey had a tough time last year, but he was a rookie and still learning the NHL game. Playing with 2 high energy vets in dor and prust he'll learn to earn his ice time. Being with them will also let him experiment more offensively. He will fit 4th line C perfectly this year.

Vey played 2 full seasons in the AHL being called up as a black ace during LA"s playoff runs and played most of last season in the nhl. When he wasn't playing he was practicing and watching from the press box

But Cassels a junior player is a better option at 4th line center...........

I disagree

It's great that we have young players ( finally) that we can argue about, which is better suited. I see Vey as a skilled guy, who if not contributing offensively, does little else to affect the game. Cassels is able to influence the game, whether scoring points or not. IMO

You don't make room for young guys before they prove they are worthy of a roster spot. I think we have enough flexibility we don't need to move every vet on the hope a young guy makes the team.

Cassels hockey IQ is off the charts and that's what is going to get him to the NHL, but physically he is going to need time in the AHL to mature. Coach Green isn't going to promote CC over Jones or Friesen, he has proven that in the 2 years in Utica. CC may catch up to Vey eventually, I think he may close the gap in a year or 2, but Vey is definitely ahead in terms of development.

Barring an injury riddled season like '13/'14, our prospects are going to develop in the AHL. With the exception of maybe Virtanen, our prospects need to mature physically and Jake needs to mature mentally, so It will be interesting to see which attributes the coaches value more.

Archived