The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Sounds like he is starting to find his ground and his niche in the game.  Good to hear.

Also if anyone is interested, Cassels still got some jam to his game...something the big club sorely lacks

Nice...."Cassels and Burrows"................check that Burroughs, made me look anyway.

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

our fanbase is so impatient. i remember not too long ago where we questioned whether he was going to make it at all. even at the AHL level. glad to see that he's been given time to just mature as a person and for his game to mature. 

Yeah, remember not too many years ago when the accepted wisdom was the 'Detroit model' and leaving guys to simmer in the A for half their career...now the model has changed, but it looks like we're not competing in this era anyway...perhaps in five years we'll be the new model of having had patience with our prospects until they could dominate

45 minutes ago, nzan said:

Yeah, remember not too many years ago when the accepted wisdom was the 'Detroit model' and leaving guys to simmer in the A for half their career...now the model has changed, but it looks like we're not competing in this era anyway...perhaps in five years we'll be the new model of having had patience with our prospects until they could dominate

i think patience is key with young players - young people in general. many of them are rushed to be impact players, but they're not all made the same way. some are more gifted than others, and will need more time, irrespective of where they were drafted - whether first round pick, or 4th round pick. it still depends on the person and player to mature, and develop their game at the next level. just like everyone on these boards aren't made the same way. we wouldn't expect each other to respond to the same thinking or see the same perspective. I think it's the same way then as well with many of our young prospects. some of them may have been drafted in the first round (i.e. Jake), but making an immediate impact may have been too much for him (too much pressure, not enough practice time for good habits to form and develop, coaching, etc). And some others may have been drafted later (i.e. Hutton, Tryamkin, etc) but have made more immediate impacts - it really does depend on each person and player. Cassels,  I'm glad is making strides and improvements, hoping that he can be a solid bottom six player for us down the road. 

• 4 weeks later...

Cassels is a guy that I think most have given up on, but he had a respectable second half of the season and showed improved play defensively. He was great during Utica's winning streak in late February/early March and Green used him regularly on the penalty kill - Hamilton/Bancks was one forward pair and Cassels/Archibald the other. He really stepped it up when Hamilton was injured for a little while and saw action late in games when Utica had to protect a lead, when the opposing team pulled their goalie, or when Utica had a key defensive zone faceoff. His skating has definitely improved over last season; he looked slow and had a whole lot of trouble just staying in the play and couldn't make much of an impact at all coming off of his injury last year. This year he became a more effective forechecker and showed a willingness to get in the corners and compete for pucks.

I don't know if there's still NHL potential there for him or not; the offense really hasn't materialized at all yet and even if he can develop into a good defensive centre, ideally you want something more out of a fourth liner than being able to fill a jersey and not get scored on. There were a lot of nights that he seemed invisible if you didn't specifically look for him doing the little things.

He has one more year on his ELC and it'll be a big one for him; he'll be expected to take on a bigger role in Utica next season and if he can boost his offensive totals while still perfecting his defensive play he might be kept within the organization. I'd have him pencilled in as the third line centre behind Valk and a UFA vet, and hopefully he can use an elevated position in the lineup to create some offense since mainstays like Grenier and Zalewski will be questionable to return. I wouldn't mind seeing him get some looks on the second PP unit next season depending on what Utica has for personnel, since he had good success around the net in junior on the powerplay and maybe it could spark something in him.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

I had to go to page 4 of our Prospects pages to find the Cassels thread.  That speaks well of what GMJB is doing, but poorly of Cassels.  Anybody think he will ever play in the NHL?

I still think it's very possible, yes.  He was finally healthy last year and he made great strides.  I woukd say Green considered him one of the most responsible, trust worthy fwds last season.  His hockey iq is excellent and his skating was much improved last year.

It may not be with Van, but I think he has an NHL career.

The Detroit model is still alive and well..I am sure if we researched it that  any team with continued success has a good number of it's players develop late.

With the salary cap, if all your best player's are young it will only be a couple of years before you have to hand out big contracts to them and therefore lose some of them (see Chicago).

The only way to mitigate that issue is with late bloomers and genetic oddities ( see the Sedins next contract, Jagr, etc.) that can be signed cheap and short term.

If Cassels, Grennier, Subban and others keep improving and/or have a mental epiphany they will be just what we need when we are a contender again....

...year after this one if Boeser and Goldy pan out...

We need some homegrown 22-25 year old rookies coming in with the young guns...we have Rodin and Boeser, maybe Jake and Goldy this year.  Cassels and the Swedes next year could be just the ticket back to the playoffs!

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The Detroit model is still alive and well..I am sure if we researched it that  any team with continued success has a good number of it's players develop late.

With the salary cap, if all your best player's are young it will only be a couple of years before you have to hand out big contracts to them and therefore lose some of them (see Chicago).

The only way to mitigate that issue is with late bloomers and genetic oddities ( see the Sedins next contract, Jagr, etc.) that can be signed cheap and short term.

If Cassels, Grennier, Subban and others keep improving and/or have a mental epiphany they will be just what we need when we are a contender again....

...year after this one if Boeser and Goldy pan out...

We need some homegrown 22-25 year old rookies coming in with the young guns...we have Rodin and Boeser, maybe Jake and Goldy this year.  Cassels and the Swedes next year could be just the ticket back to the playoffs!

Grennier signed by Florida. 

7 hours ago, stawns said:

I still think it's very possible, yes.  He was finally healthy last year and he made great strides.  I woukd say Green considered him one of the most responsible, trust worthy fwds last season.  His hockey iq is excellent and his skating was much improved last year.

It may not be with Van, but I think he has an NHL career.

That was the sense I got as well, where he was much more trusted in key situations. It kind of ran parallel to Gaunce in the NHL actually, where neither was getting the results on the scoreboard that much, but both were being used on key faceoffs and defensively. Cassels has to step it up from there to get to Gaunce's spot in the NHL, but he has the tools.

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nah, you're totally on the right site.

Climate change is slowing the spin of the earth. So as a function of the earth's rotation, Cassels is skating faster every year.

It's all connected! 

Well considering we have lightning and hurricanes back east already, it gives me the blues thinking about how this climate change will affect the sharks and penguins!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this is Casells year. He has had to get his head down and do it the hard way while keeping his mouth shut and I just hope it pays off for him and he gets his big chance. I see him hopefully as a Higgins/Malhotra type player who can be effective in a big way without putting up big numbers.

Do or die year for Cassels.  He obviously isnn;t going to be that offensively two way centre he was in junior, so he needs to add a different element to his defensive game.  Needs to up his skating speed, and add more grit especially if he is going to be a bottom six centre.

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Do or die year for Cassels.  He obviously isnn;t going to be that offensively two way centre he was in junior, so he needs to add a different element to his defensive game.  Needs to up his skating speed, and add more grit especially if he is going to be a bottom six centre.

I don't think it's a do or die year for a 22 year old, but I agree with what you're saying that he needs to work on.

Archived