The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

No, do you really want Edmonton shutting us down then?

That was kind of what I was getting at lol.

Even if Cassels starts in Utica (likely), let's just call him up every time we play Edmonton so we can shut down McEdmonton and stay acquainted!

Why would you even consider trading Cassels.. a shutdown forward who has offensive capabilities. He just shut down the kid who is suppose to be the next Crosby, while putting up 4 assists in the last game, and people want to trade him for the 8th overall...

Why would you even consider trading Cassels.. a shutdown forward who has offensive capabilities. He just shut down the kid who is suppose to be the next Crosby, while putting up 4 assists in the last game, and people want to trade him for the 8th overall...

Personally, it would have to be a really bloody good offer to consider trading Cassels. I think he has a really bright future with the team.

What's also significant is that he is a right shooting centre, something the team is lacking since the departure of Kesler. The only right shooting centre currently on the team is Vey, and he primarily has been playing wing. NHL calibre right shooting centres are valuable commodities, so let's hope he developes into a NHL calibre player, and soon.

Yeah - this- and then go draft provorov or Barzal, nice looking picks and all but they haven't won $&!# and don't look like gamers to me

There is almost certainly a spot open for him to compete for. Richardson may not be back due to injury, or may not be back at all.

Vey, Cassels, and Gaunce competing for the 4th line centre job, the losers ends up demoted,used as a depth guy or converted to wing (depending on how many guys we move out during the summer).

How about we don't trade any of our prospects? How bout we keep them and see what happens?

Not enough room for all our forward prospects. We now have quite a few guys who look like they will be able to play in the NHL. But that is mostly guys who look like bottom 6 players are maybe second liners. The team will have to try to package a few assets to get one or two players who can ultimately take over from the Sedins as first liners.

Here is my read. (I know it is early and I don't have crystal ball, but we can project based what guys have done so far.)

1. Bo had a very good year as a 19-year old, but his ceiling looks to me like excellent 3C or good 2C.

2. Virtanen did not light things up this year. His outstanding basic skills means he projects as no worse than 3RW, but maybe no better.

3. Baertschi needs to be top 6 or nothing, but has had some bumps in the road. I project him as 2LW.

4. McCann is doing well but it is hard to project him above 3C.

5. Kenins, Gaunce, Grenier are all bottom 6 guys if they make it at all.

6. I have doubts about Jensen. If he makes as it a regular in the NHL it will be bottom 6.

7. Shinkaruk picked up his game late in the season but will have to pick it up a lot more to ever be a first line NHL player.

Dorsett has just been re-signed for a bottom 6 role. And Hansen will be there for a while. And Burrows and Kassian are in the mix for bottom 6 roles. And there is Vey.

That is too many. If Benning can put together a package and a draft a high potential D like Provorov or potential first line foward like Barzal, it makes sense to do it.

Cassels is not someone you want to trade unless it's for a surefire NHLer in my opinion. I wouldn't trade him for a pick not even for Strome at the moment

He's not flashy, but he did look better than the other top prospects out there -- McDavid, Strome, and Dal Colle -- and was more effective overall and in affecting the end result.

Not enough room for all our forward prospects. We now have quite a few guys who look like they will be able to play in the NHL. But that is mostly guys who look like bottom 6 players are maybe second liners. The team will have to try to package a few assets can some players who can ultimately take over as first liners.

There is certainly some sense to this. We are probably 2-3 years from the Sedin's not being 1st liners anymore. We have exactly zero guys in the pipeline to replace them at that point. Heck, we hardly have anyone who looks close to ready for 2nd line duties.

You can fill in maybe 2 top six spots via UFA signings, but need some of your own talent on reasonable cap hits for the rest. Kassian/Baertschi are the only guys with even a hint at being at that level that soon. Jury is still completely out on anyone else.

After this performance, the price for Cassels is probably at an all-time high. If you can trade him in a package with one of our vets like Higgins/Hansen and a lower end prospect... and get a 24-26 year old top 6 guy under contract or get a top end prospect plus a good pick... go wild.

Even if Cassels starts in Utica (likely), let's just call him up every time we play Edmonton so we can shut down McEdmonton and stay acquainted!

The Prospects Tournament in Penticton this year should be fun.

That is too many. If Benning can put together a package and a draft a high potential D like Provorov or potential first line foward like Barzal, it makes sense to do it.

Benning has said he prefers trading packages as opposed to individual players (in order to get more value in return), and the way he's increased the depth on the team and in the prospect ranks has "consolidation" screaming out, if not simply out of necessity now.

After this performance, the price for Cassels is probably at an all-time high. If you can trade him in a package with one of our vets like Higgins/Hansen and a lower end prospect... and get a 24-26 year old top 6 guy under contract or get a top end prospect plus a good pick... go wild.

Maybe if you think he's now wildly over-valued as opposed to what he'll ever become, but we simply do not know yet, nor does anyone. Trading Cassels now has future seller's remorse written all over it. Absolutely no rational reason to do it.

Archived