The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Cederholm | D

IIlIlIIllIlIIIlIl

4 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

1040 Just had an interview with canucks head of development about Anton. Had some really really good things to say about this kid 

-his brother is a firefighter , mom is a nurse, dad is a paramedic. Speaks to the character he learned at home. 

-rode his bike in minus 30 weather for 20 +k to meet him for dinner in Sweden. Oozes character like no other prospect hes worked with. 

- plays with a mean streak and very good defensively. Feels he is fkying under the radar big time. 

-offensive ability came out of nowhere this year

- has never met a kid he wanted to succeed more then this guy. Feels he works a step above everyone else in effort

- expects him to come here and do big things and will be a HUGE fan favorite. 

That's really encouraging, I'm glad he's still on the Canucks radar. We're lacking for defensemen who play tough, defensive hockey in our system and it would be nice to see him come back next season and join Utica. There will be a lot more competition for him though with Brisebois, Neill, and Olson all potentially turning pro, but he has a unique style compared to all of them and brings a physical element that the Comets don't really have (apart from Pedan, who has been on and off this year).

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

1040 Just had an interview with canucks head of development about Anton. Had some really really good things to say about this kid 

-his brother is a firefighter , mom is a nurse, dad is a paramedic. Speaks to the character he learned at home. 

-rode his bike in minus 30 weather for 20 +k to meet him for dinner in Sweden. Oozes character like no other prospect hes worked with. 

- plays with a mean streak and very good defensively. Feels he is fkying under the radar big time. 

-offensive ability came out of nowhere this year

- has never met a kid he wanted to succeed more then this guy. Feels he works a step above everyone else in effort

- expects him to come here and do big things and will be a HUGE fan favorite. 

That's good to hear! Reports from last year sounded like he was going to be a 'never was' despite being a hard worker. 

Perhaps another year in Europe, one in the AHL and then maybe we end up with a nice, physical, shutdown depth D.

He always kinda of reminded me of an Ohlund type, albeit without the offense. 

18 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That's good to hear! Reports from last year sounded like he was going to be a 'never was' despite being a hard worker. 

Perhaps another year in Europe, one in the AHL and then maybe we end up with a nice, physical, shutdown depth D.

Ya my thoughts too. Not sure how close he is or what , but sounded like a good report. 

Always liked his simple defensive game combined with his size, grit, decent mobility, and willingness to be combative.  He did alright in the ECHL last year but nothing spectacular.  Never expected a surge in offensive output, as he didn't show it in junior either.

Oh, and surprise -- another 5th round pick d-man B)

Bieksa

Corrado

Cederholm

Hutton

Forsling

Neill

Adam Polasek (2010) has apparently been doing well in the KHL too, putting up about .5ppg this season.

Great to hear that Cederholm is playing well. He's always seemed like a good, hardworking kid. Would love to see him pan out as a solid, NHL bottom pairing, defensive D with good size and physical play.

Not sure where the talk about his "surge" in offensive ability is coming from though. From what I can gather, he's posted 7 points in 33 games played this season. Among the Ds on his team (AIK), he's 5th in total points and 6th in points per game. And that's in second tier Swedish pro. Seems pretty consistent with the offense we've seen from him at various levels during his development the past several years. Unless I'm missing something?

He is under contract for next year as well so it would be a great idea to bring him back to mentor Dahlen in his 1st year of North American hockey.

It also looks like the league playoffs start today and Cederholm's AIK will take on Dahlen's Timra in the 1st game. I've never followed this league but it looks like a round robin format.

12 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Always liked his simple defensive game combined with his size, grit, decent mobility, and willingness to be combative.  He did alright in the ECHL last year but nothing spectacular.  Never expected a surge in offensive output, as he didn't show it in junior either.

Oh, and surprise -- another 5th round pick d-man B)

Bieksa

Corrado

Cederholm

Hutton

Forsling

Neill

Adam Polasek (2010) has apparently been doing well in the KHL too, putting up about .5ppg this season.

I thought he kept his game simple because of lack of mobility. With Portland he stayed infront of the net and was not adventurous. The faster the game was the more difficult it became.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I thought he kept his game simple because of lack of mobility. With Portland he stayed infront of the net and was not adventurous. The faster the game was the more difficult it became.

Not sure, I'd heard that it wasn't that much of an issue, basically that it was "sufficient".  Not that he's a Stecher or Hutton, and undoubtedly he has/had room to improve.

I've been curious as to what this kid could have done in Utica if given a chance. Green shipped him to KZoo last year without even playing a game for the Comets along with McEneny after only two games. KZoo was a mid level team last year and Cederholm lead them with a +18 and McEneny was second at +17. We all see how McEneny has developed this year but Cederholm never had the opportunity to play in the AHL. 

13 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yep. He's had a very strong season in the KHL (28 pts in 60 GP). Top-10 among defensemen.

Of course, it should be remembered that a guy like MA Gragnani posted 10 more points than Polasek this season.

But Polasek is a more complete player who brings size, physicality, and pretty good defense to compliment his offensive production. 

So he might actually have some NHL potential if a team decides to give him a second look over here.

Also put-up good numbers (5 pts in 9 GP) in the Euro Hockey Tour (series of tournaments between Europe's top men's national teams).

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yep. He's had a very strong season in the KHL (28 pts in 60 GP). Top-10 among defensemen.

Of course, it should be remembered that a guy like MA Gragnani posted 10 more points than Polasek this season.

But Polasek is a more complete player who brings size, physicality, and pretty good defense to compliment his offensive production. 

So he might actually have some NHL potential if a team decides to give him a second look over here.

Also put-up good numbers (5 pts in 9 GP) in the Euro Hockey Tour (series of tournaments between Europe's top men's national teams).

Benning keeps filling our cup with potential players like this and we're going to start losing guys to simple overflow...what a fantastic problem to finally have ::D

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Benning keeps filling our cup with potential players like this and we're going to start losing guys to simple overflow...what a fantastic problem to finally have ::D

And that's also when, as he's said, the fun starts -- you can start packaging them for upgrades, and his gold:  more picks.

On March 5, 2017 at 3:44 PM, J.R. said:

He reminds me of a Douglas Murray type of player with would be ok.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived