The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fan Poll on the Schneider trade.

Patrick Kane

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

undecided. I didn't really care which goalie we were going to trade, but I thought Schneider could bring a better return.

I may get flamed for this, but at least we added a future franchise CANADIAN player. That I love to see.

Slightly disappointed that MG couldn't at least get some immediate help on the roster for an almost-star goaltender, but instead have to wait for potential to come to fruition. That said though, Horvat's ETA (according to TSN) is essentially next season, and it would be crazy to have a Ryan O'Reilly-type up the middle, along with Gaunce, Jensen, Kassian and Shinkaruk as the leaders of the future forward group. This should help loads for the future but we'll need to have some patience in all likelihood.

we drafted schneider in the first round in 2004... brought him up through the system, moulded him into an elite goaltender who eventually took the starting job from a top goaltender in the league... pretty much every teams wish right? draft a guy late and have him turn into a great player?

flipping him for a first round (yes, its a 'high' pick sort of) 9 years later is an absolute and utter failure and mis-management of assets...

then again what should i have expected from the organization that played hardball with umberger and lost him... traded grabner for ballard and then proceeded to NOT play him... traded hodgson for kassian because we needed to get "tougher", you know, for the next time we face boston in the finals :rolleyes: and put the best goaltender in the teams history through this absolute crap show circus for the last 2 seasons.

no, i don't like the trade.

I'm curious to see on what the general opinion of the Canuck fan base is.

I've seen scattered comments throughout the boards. Some love the acquisition of Bo Horvat. Some are loathing losing last years starting goalie.

Let's see what the poll says.

My take? Once again the Canucks get hemmed into making a decision that they MAY regret, but salvage by acquiring a nice POTENTIAL piece for the future.

It all starts from handing Luongo a insane contract, making him unmovable. Perhaps a earlier transaction of Luongo or Schneider would of net a better return.

To break it down:

- No one wants Luongo

- Acquillini won't buyout Luongo

- Waiving him would be impractical.

Thus trading Schneider was the only choice.

Likewise the naysayers are assuming Horvat will be a nothing addition. Anyone making predictions based on assumptions is rather silly, and that goes for both sides of the opinion. That's the whole point of the draft... you're looking at potential. You're looking at the unseeable future and making a bet that it will benefit your team. Its a tough job. Either way, right now its a good compromise to a difficult situation and the team should be better for it.

I am a big Schneider fan and I think he could of been our franchise goalie. So no I do not like the trade. Hopefully in 5 years Horvat will become the Bergeron that some people are touting(unrealistic expectation IMO) and I'll change my mind.

And yes I realize our hands were pretty much tied but it almost feels like we gave a star goalie away.

Archived