The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fan Poll on the Schneider trade.

Patrick Kane

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You can't answer this question

I'm curious to see on what the general opinion of the Canuck fan base is.

I've seen scattered comments throughout the boards. Some love the acquisition of Bo Horvat. Some are loathing losing last years starting goalie.

Let's see what the poll says.

My take? Once again the Canucks get hemmed into making a decision that they MAY regret, but salvage by acquiring a nice POTENTIAL piece for the future.

It all starts from handing Luongo a insane contract, making him unmovable. Perhaps a earlier transaction of Luongo or Schneider would of net a better return.

To break it down:

- No one wants Luongo

- Acquillini won't buyout Luongo

- Waiving him would be impractical.

Thus trading Schneider was the only choice.

It's hard to say now. I was hoping that if Schneider was traded it would bring back a future #1 center so we'll see how that turns out. I think Gillis should have been able to get more of a return than he got though.

One thing I will say is this team is in decline and needed badly to improve it's prospect pool and they've done that today.

I like that we got a good young player in return, but felt like we could have gotten a little more like NJ's 2nd or a decent prospect. That NJ 2nd could have gotten us V. Zykov. I think he's going to be a stud also. Horvat and Zykov would have made me feel better about the whole ordeal..

I said NO because GMMG should not have put himself into this position in the first place. He could have easily traded Lou last year for a decent return and kept the younger and better goalie; instead, he traded away a franchise goalie for a player that might help us out in three years.

I like the Horvat pick, but it's going to be another Cody Hodgson watch where we are discussing thread after thread of pointless dribble for the next three years until he finally makes the team.

Uggh!

It is hard to watch a quality player like Schneider move on. Been following him since the Moose. It was a necessary trade that hopefully brings a quality center with some size back to the org. I suspect Cory's two games last spring were what brought his value down in the eyes of potential trade partners. As a fan I can only hope and wish for the best for Cory Schneider. A quality individual who NJD will enjoy. Hopefully the Canucks can meet the Devils in a CUP final some day.

There seems to be a huge misconception about what asset management is from a lot of the people on this board....

If we remove speculation (Schneider is a bonafied #1, Bo is going to bust, etc) and simply focus on reality we can assume 2 things:

1 - Schneider is quite NHL ready, to what degree we are uncertain but we could say it is relatively probable he will be a NHL starter

2 - Bo is a fresh palate to develop - and thus completely uncertain. I really like the sounds of the player but....

What is infuriating for most is that we went from relative certainty, to complete unknown WITHOUT gaining any additional assets for the risk. We went for 1 - 1 due to being destroyed from the cap due to mismanagement of the team.

Proper asset management is when you are taking on a risk you are compensated for the risk... We could end up with a Josh Bailey or James Sheppard, conversely we could have a Logan Couture and be completely satisfied with the deal .. it is all unknown it is the concepts of asset management and what a debacle the cap / goalie situation has been that makes it a bad trade....

Like the tide doesn't stem here fellas, we are going to be up against it again next year without making a move. We pay too much to our mediocre D and have some complete albatross contracts.

I know Nichushkin looks pretty freakin' sweet, but Horvat looks pretty freakin' sweet too. Looks like the real deal. London Knights. 2-way force. Playoff Mvp. Aw, what's not to like?

Schneider will be missed. I liked his positive attitude and his impressions. Him and Luongo are two standup character guys, and no matter how much the media tried to play up the situation, they didn't give an inch. I believe the 'controversy' made both players better, honestly.

I always believed that trading Schneider was an option. Had a feeling it would turn out that way, esp. towards the end. As it turns out i was right.

Do i like the trade? Hell yes. It was needed and overdue. Getting a top-notch prospect in return at zero capspace is just an added bonus.

Only drawback is that we received zero immediate help for him. But at least our cap troubles are now clear.

What makes Schneider a stud?

I think the potential is there, but a lot of goalies have started their careers hot and disappeared. This is great asset management. We are deep in goal, so we traded are depth in goal to stock pile our other needs.

I really dislike how people are ASSUMING Horvat is going to be a stud. Alot of players are taken in the first round that never make it. Not saying he will or won't but point is there is alot of risk folks, yet many are ignoring that.

we took a 26th overall in Schneider, developed him into a stud and then trade him for a 'maybe'

not good asset management

give up a stud, fill a hole with another young stud (but established) that's where MG failed.

Archived