The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miles Liberati | D

IIlIlIIllIlIIIlIl

What are the rules about re-entering the draft?

I doubt anyone would pick him but just curious.

He re-enters the draft if not signed by June 1, assuming Canucks made him a bona fide offer in his draft + 1 year.

For North American Jr. players, commencing with players drafted in 2013 the rule (oversimplified a bit) is that the team must either sign the player or make the player a bona fide offer for the first season to keep rights until June 1 of the 2nd year following the draft. If the player is not signed by then and is still not 21 years of age, then he goes back in the draft.

CBA Articles 8.4, 8.6

No one really talks about this kid, he's been flying way under the radar of everyone on this board, but he has quietly put together a solid season

67 games played

11 goals

27 assists

Plus 21

So far for playoffs

4 games

0 goals

2 assists

Plus 3

Those are pretty good numbers for a 7th round pick in 2013!

He should go for his overage year. North Bay will have their top guys gone and Liberati will have a big role on the team so it'll be interesting how he does. He skates well and moves the puck well so I think potential is there for a depth D.

11 goals is nothing to sneeze at. He's been a plus player for most of his junior career too. I would like to think he gets a look at some point. They will probably send him back for his overage year like they did with McEneny though

Big difference -- Canucks lose rights to Liberati if they don't sign him to a contract by June 1. Liberati will most likely go back and play as an overager, but will probably do so as a UFA as I don't think the Canucks will sign him to an NHL ELC.

They may sign him to an AHL contract and have Utica loan/assign him to an ECHL club.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wondering, does anyone know if we are under a time restriction where we have to sign Liberati now to avoid him going back into the draft or are we good for another year?

I believe he is 20 before the draft, but not exactly sure when the cut off day is

Just wondering, does anyone know if we are under a time restriction where we have to sign Liberati now to avoid him going back into the draft or are we good for another year?

June 1. He's in the same position as Subban, born 1995 and drafted 2013.

I'd say if we're close at all to the 50 contract limit then no. If we have more than enough room then a two year deal to have him try out in the ECHL would be ok. The strong second half of the season he had this year likely isn't enough to warrant a contract on it's own though.

A lot of players seem to be selected from the London Knights. Is the OHL that weak of a league, or are the Knights just that good?

The London Knights have produced the most NHL players out of any team in the CHL. Also, the OHL is an excellent league for player development despite its high scoring compared to the QMJHL and WHL.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering his previous high was 9 points in 42 games (his first OHL season actually, although he did have 9 in 43 two seasons ago) this seems like it could be more of an aberration than proper development. I think we already have better prospects that play this style (Subban, Hutton and McNally to name three) and have been more consistent, so I'd expect we don't sign Liberati and someone else picks him up.

Archived