The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks turn an embarrassment of riches in net into a flat-out embarrassment - Jason Botchford

Sorry but he's right - Gillis had the 2 best goalies in the league and gets an 18 year old, unproven kid out of either of them. In terms of roster players, on a team that needs as many as they can get to be successful NOW before their window closes, we basically just lost a starting goalie for no one.

The Vancouver media just love to piss on this team every chance they get. Even if they win the cup, I guarantee the headlines would be "Canucks Cup Champions! But...". Its sickening, really.

In all honesty, I'm hoping Torts picks them up and turns them so they're facing the wind this season, see how they like wet pant legs.

Many young fans seem to think we've made a real gain by trading Scheider. Having lived exclusively in the Luongo era they have no idea how difficult it is to come up with a great young goalie. (Some teams try for decades.) I don't imagine any of them suffered under the Cloutier era.

- a very likely scenario is that in the next year or two the Canucks suffer from bad goal tending and use a first round choice to pick a goal tender... where then will be the gain? There won't be any.

Many young fans seem to think we've made a real gain by trading Scheider. Having lived exclusively in the Luongo era they have no idea how difficult it is to come up with a great young goalie. (Some teams try for decades.) I don't imagine any of them suffered under the Cloutier era.

- a very likely scenario is that in the next year or two the Canucks suffer from bad goal tending and use a first round choice to pick a goal tender... where then will be the gain? There won't be any.

Also: where does he get off making "he felt" comments? Last time I checked, he isn't Luongo and, therefore, shouldn't speak for him.

"Remains to be seen" - those are Botcheverything's words yet here he is, already deciding. Moran.

Jason Botchford got lost on his way to celebrity fashion blog college and ended up trying to talk about sports.

Studs and Duds? Really? Sounds like he took a page out of his favorite Cosmo magazine

Good thing we've already got two good young goalies to develop in the system.

Lack was among the best goalies in the AHL.

Eriksson was one of the best goalies in the SEL. (led his team to an SEL championship)

That doesn't guarantee they'll be NHLers, but our goalie cupboard is far from bare right now. We've got 4-5 years to figure out Luongo's successor..

Sorry but he's right - Gillis had the 2 best goalies in the league and gets an 18 year old, unproven kid out of either of them. In terms of roster players, on a team that needs as many as they can get to be successful NOW before their window closes, we basically just lost a starting goalie for no one.

I am a Canucks fan.

I have to say, I dislike botchford but hes got a point on a few things.

The team was put in a bad situation after the lockout, the cap went down quite a bit. We put ourselves in a tough situation with our goaltenders, and we did an even worse job selling Luongo. Its been hard on everyone from Lu and Schneids to management, coaching staff, players and fans alike. The NHL is a business, and even though the Canucks are known for being really good to their players, there is only so much they can do, until their hand is forced and they have to play their cards. This was a very deep draft, and I feel Gillis actually did the best he could at this draft. It was a very hard decision to make.

There was no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for us, we are the Vancouver Canucks. We had to do the best with what we had available. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Archived