The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Ballard put on waivers

It is a calculated gamble. If a team needs to reach the cap floor, and they need a Dman they will take him. I suspect someone will. His deal is not so bad, that a team would risk having to try to sign him, in unrestricted free agency.

Ballard does have plenty of upside in the right scenario. I wish him luck,

AV simply could not utilize a player that didn't fit what he wanted.

It's unfortunate to see but I hope Ballard finds a better fit wherever he goes.

I could see him getting picked up. A team might not want to give up any assets in order to acquire him, but they might still see value in taking him on. His $4.2M contract looks terrible in light of the role he played for the last few seasons, but he still has a few good seasons to point to (before coming to Vancouver) and it's only for 2 more seasons (unlike Luongo's monster contract).

Of course, it's more likely that a team will wait for the Canucks to buy him out and then sign him for less.

This will be interesting: we'll see just how ruthless this market has become if nobody takes Ballard on conventional waivers. Definitely there should be 4-5 teams interested on the basis of need, but they could get greedy and want him only for a discounted, post buy-out salary.

This will be interesting: we'll see just how ruthless this market has become if nobody takes Ballard on conventional waivers. Definitely there should be 4-5 teams interested on the basis of need, but they could get greedy and want him only for a discounted, post buy-out salary.

Well, since it's now July 1, hasn't Edler's NTC kicked in? With Luongo sticking around and Edler not gone yesterday, Canucks still have to clear a good chunk of cap space and this seems like a move in that direction that still leaves options open.

Archived