The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post Your 2013-2014 Lineup

Figured I would put a thread where folks could make up their lineups.. instead of having an individual thread for each idea.

Here is mine... assuming that Ballard is picked up. Also assuming Booth can't be moved or bought out due to injury and having to deal with the cap implications of that.

We have to insert youth into the lineup in a fairly big way. The cap is expected to go up next year and we have most of our guys signed (presumably the Sedins re-sign for less as well) so can afford the deferral of any ELC bonuses that are reached.

It is dangerous to have two rookies at your centre ice position... but who the heck else can we afford?

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($1.475m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Dale Weise ($0.677m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)

Frank Corrado ($0.599m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Joacim Eriksson ($0.925m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,549,278; BONUSES: $3,512,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $263,222

Daniel - Henrik - Kassin

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Lapierre - Gaunce - Schroeder(will have to be converted to wing if he wants to say with Van)

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Corrado - Tanev

Alberts

Luongo

Lack

I think this line up would be a beauty. The top 6 would be loaded, and fresh legs for the playoffs will be filling in the bottom 6.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Shroeder

Higgins-Gaunce-Burrows

Weise-Horvat/Boyd Gordon?-Hansen

Sestito, ???

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Corrado

Garrison-Tanev

Alberts, emminger?

Luongo

Lack

I would like to see this. It gives a strong infusion of youth, but chaperoned buy solid vets. Good balance along all lines, my only question would be fourth line centre and depth on forwards and d

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Kassian

Booth/Jensen - Guance/Horvat/Schoreder - Hansen

UFA - UFA - Weise

Sestito

Hamhuis - Garrison

Edler - Tanev

UFA - Bieksa

Luongo

Lack

- Could see guys like B. Gordon, Fedotenko, Larose, Armstrong, etc. being some of the guys to fill UFA spots. I'm uncertain about Booth's future. Given the cap this year, I expect at least one ELC/young cheaper player from the org. to make our roster. Sestito should be the 13th guy

- Corrado is likely headed for AHL for development. Should be a call-up though. Hoping we go after a guy like Scuderi or White to fill the sixth spot. I won't rule out Alberts returning either.

- Luongo is our guy, Lack is pretty much ready to be number 2(though giving him some time in the AHL to recover from injury isn't a bad thing).

1: Daniel - Henrik - Kassian

2: Burrows/Booth - Kesler - Schroeder

3A: Higgins - Gordon - Booth/Burrows

3B: Gaunce - Horvat - Hansen

Weise, Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Tanev

Edler - Corrado

Alberts

Luongo

Eriksson/Läck

Reasons

1: Kassian needs time in the top 6 (preferably with the Sedins) to fully maximize his potential, otherwise he'll be a fourth line grinder/goon.

2: Schroeder, under new head coach John Tortorella, may finally get his chance at playing in the top 6. He has top 6 skill and is a pure playmaker with speed; therefore, he should be able to keep up and feed the puck to Kesler and Burrows/Booth, the triggermen on this line.

3A: Primary shutdown line. Gordon and Higgins are excellent two-way players. They play more on the defensive and gritty side, but are still capable of potting in the occasional point. Burrows will make this line more defensive. Booth will make this line more physical. Both of them can provide offense, making this also a tertiary scoring line.

3B: Horvat and Gaunce are (apparently) excellent defensively and play a gritty-two way game. They shouldn't necessarily need to play sheltered minutes, as adding another forward with defensive prowess in Hansen should allow this line to be used in all three zones. This could potentially be a very good starting point for both Horvat and Gaunce and it doesn't put pressure on them to score. Just hit and don't get scored on.

I'd be surprised if Horvat made the line-up. I think it would be the wrong decision for his development. Everyone should think about this,

He averaged almost a pt/g playing in EVERY defensive situation possible, with many of his minutes spent on the Penalty Kill. If he goes back to London for another year he'd likely be named their Captain and play top line minutes developing his offensive abilities as well as perfecting his all-around game. Maybe he'll even be considered for Captain of Team Canada at the WJC? or maybe that will be Gaunce

Anyways, here's my line-up for the season

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Shinkaruk-Kesler-Clowe*

Higgins-Gaunce/Schroeder-Kassian

Sestito-Lapierre*-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Garrison-Corrado

Alberts

Lu

Eriksson

***Sign Clowe (4.3mill/year, X years), re-sign Lapierre, Schroeder and Tanev

Trade Booth for a 3rd-mid round pick to a team that has cap space

Re-signings:

Chris Tanev: 2 years, $3.5 million (1.5+2)

Jordan Schroeder: 2 years, $3 million

Signings:

Jarome Iginla: 2 years, $9 million (4.5x2)

Matt Hendricks: 2 years, $2.2 million (1.1x2)

Matt Cooke: 1 year, $1.5 million

Remaining cap: $140,555

Sedin - Sedin - Iginla

Burrows - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Cooke - Gaunce - Hendricks

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Tanev - Corrado

Luongo

Lack

Archived