The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Organized Fan Revolt against GMMG

ceeslak

I might not be a huge fan of all of MG's moves but at least he puts in an effort to make some significant trades or signings every year to try and help the team. Anyone else remember Nonis signing and trading for plugs and playing it safe to preserve our mediocre team?

What did you expect? The Aquilini's were not gonna spend the money and Lu refused to waive his NTC. Nobody could have predicted the new CBA would screw all long term contracts despite them being approved by the NHL. Also, at no point is any team allowed to go over the cap during the offseason. So no resigning anyone.

Would I rather Schneider? Yes. Am I happy with Lu and a top prospect? Yes. Gillis got the best possible deal he could at the draft.

STEP 1 - Search for "Fire GMMG" / STEP 2 - Among the 16 dozen topics on the matter, don't see any topics that say "GET GMMG fired" / STEP 3 - Start topic on the matter as my point of view is OBVIOUSLY far different than everyone else's. :picard: I didn't check but did Debluvscanucks start the thread about making new and irrelevant topics before or after this clown started this one? Regardless...SERIOUSLY? I've said it before and I'll state it again...GMMG has his hands tied (just like Holland etc). Nobody wants to deal fairly with Vancouver or any other top tier team in order to make them even MORE successful without asking a king's ransom in return. Given the fact that his hands are tied, I think GMMG did everything he could. Given the fact that Luongo signed a contract that was so unbelievably unfair, the NHL stepped in and stopped those types of contracts. As has been stated OVER and OVER and OVER again, the plan was all along to trade Cory. In order to maximize a player's potential return, you have to play him. And since it's a goalie we're talking about, you have to give him starts. The objective in hockey is to WIN. So you logically should ALWAYS go with the better mentally prepared goalie. We did that. Cory's stock rose, Lu's stock dropped. So if you were another GM...which goalie do you want? The one who's stock is on the rise, or appears to be falling? GMMG stuck to the plan and moved Cory. Just to put things into perspective for you: Schned's was a 26th O/A pick. The pick we traded him for was a 9th O/A. So basically we traded WAY up and got to use the 26th pick quite a bit in the meantime. Sounds good to me!

I'm sorry sampy but if you honestly support this epic defeat then you are living in a world of ecstasy

drafted, developed, groomed a player for 7 years who eventually dethroned the greatest professional athlete in the history and future of the universe.

signed him and anointed him #1

told the world, no, insisted to the world we are trading Luongo for some teams entire farm system

tried for 14 months, nobody wanted him for free.

Then out of complete panic and confusion he trades our home grown #1 entering his prime for 9th overall.

Who don't get me wrong is an excellent pick but in reality 3-5 years away from a game changing top 6.

He may replace Kesler at the end of his contract if he exceeds expectations.

We now have subtracted from what we had last year, if I would have said sampy, gillis is going to trade CS for 9th overall, you and everyone here would have laughed till you cried.

Stop forcing yourself to believe he did a good thing at the draft.

Because he was defeated, in epic, dramatic fashion in front of 1000s of people and the entire hockey world.

His word means nothing.

No one respects this man

I know I am not alone on this one. When are we going to not only say 'enough is enough' but act on these feelings. When is the media finally going to start the driving force?

I for one do not want this guy making hockey decisions in our city any longer. His prior positive contributions don't matter any longer. As far as im concerned, he has displayed complete incompetence in the handling of Luongo and the contract, and even larger incompetence exchanging our franchise goalie for a draft pick (no 9?!)

Most 16 year old kids could have made the assumption that Luongo's contract was immovable 6 months ago, what was he thinking??

Im cheering for the team and Tortorella, but please we need a new GM.

I really don't care that we traded Schneider, I have said several times that we need to trade Schneider to fill some holes now, not holes 5 years from now.

Luongo will be fine, I just have a really hard time forcing myself to believe this team is better in 2014 after trading our only high valued tradable asset.

Who cares, I think I do a pretty good job for being half in the bag every time I post. Lets see you drink beer all day and make a sweet post like that.

Seriously, go steal 3 of your dads beer and try.

Personally, I'm just the opposite.

IMO, the Canucks missed their chance to win a Cup in 2011. That team was built to win it all, but just couldn't stay healthy enough. They relied on a deadly powerplay, but by the time they got to the finals, three out of the five PP starters were playing injured.

After that, the rules changed. The NHL went back to the old school "put the whistles away" playoff style of officiating and the balance of power shifted away from the skilled teams like the Canucks and Bolts, to the bigger, more physical teams like the Bruins and Kings.

Who knows? It may shift back again, depending on the whims of the NHL BOG, but I believe that it's too late for this group. Adding one or two pieces is not going to put them over the top. It might win them a playoff series, (might) but that should not be the goal.

I would have moved the other valuable asset in Alex Edler for even more futures, let Ballard run with the #4 position and really get the process moving along.

People talk about how great Tortorella is with young players. I say "let 'em play". We still have a nucleus that includes the Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis, Garrison and Bieksa. That should be enough to be competitive.

Meanwhile, it's time to look to the future, lest we become mired in the same cycle of mediocrity that the team was once in and that Calgary is just starting the long climb out of.

I would have like to at least see the rights to somebody coming back. Not even Clarkson just some player that would have been useful to the Canucks that they would have had a chance to negotiate with before free agency.

I was hoping for another pick, or a prospect. We have no money for a free agent, so I see no point in acquiring the negotiating rights to one.

BTW Noheart, I agree. I thought Gillis could and should have done better. Although I like Horvat, it should have been Horvat+ IMO.

Archived