he outscores all the forwards on our team..
a lot of good the lack of goals from our 4, 5 and 6 million forwards did for us eh??
The hate based on nothing for this kid is ridiculous
I think the respect Gillis showed his two star goaltenders through the last year up to this weekend shows how much we can believe gillis and the way he paints things after he makes an unpopular move.
And wow, just incredible how some people seem to have wholesale bought into Gillis' promotional stories and decided this kid "demanded Sedin minutes" and "whined", etc. And sentiments about Hodgson's character that no one throughout the kid's career has ever even implied except for Canucks mgmt - when attempting to rationalize their poor mgmt decisions. Smart man, Gillis, gotta give him credit for how he's entirely played the sheep.
Fortunately the non-sheep, the average joe who thinks for himself, can see the pattern here...
Hodgson - Has only ever received praise from his coaches, trainers and managers throughout his development (and really, if the kid had "demanded" minutes or a trade, then you'd expect he'd arrive in Buffalo on even more of a punk ego trip, but instead all the accounts from Sabres management and veteran linemates heap further praise for Hodgson's character and talents...). The ONLY blemish against this kid's character is the IMPLIED accusations delivered by Canucks mgmt, most notably Gillis who even went as far as to suggest they'd scammed Buffalo into believing the kid was better than he is...
Canucks Mgmt - In addition to throwing Hodgson under the bus (and driving over him a few times), also managed to screw around others, such as -
- Naslund, not even offering a token contract after his last game, while Gillis later implied to the media that they just couldn't come to terms
- Morrison, after his tryout, again implying to the media that he wasn't signed only because Morrison wanted too much (except that unlike Hodgson who had to keep his mouth shut, Morrison was near the end of his career and actually challenged Gillis' version - clarifying that he'd hadn't refused anything, didn't want too much and in fact the Canucks hadn't even made an offer!)
- Malholtra, wow, just wow how his guy was handled... Great how Gillis tried to pass off the forced retirement as him being a "good guy" (rather than admitting it was a cap ploy), but facts are easy - Malholtra was not suddenly a "risk" to himself 2 years after the injury, Canucks mgmt needed the cap space though so tried to play it up, and now Malholtra is trying to find another team to play out his career with.
- The Lu/Cory mess.... what a mess, and straight at the feet of Gillis/AV. From implying just enough to the media to fuel rumours that a deal couldn't come together last summer because Luongo wanted only specific team(s), to the constant flipflopping and empty rationalizations for their own failures... Oh, claims Gilils now it's the "changed landscape" that did this, lack of a "crystal ball", yadda. yadda... Yep, sure, it's only because Gillis doesn't have a crystal ball that he couldn't at least be bothered giving either goalie the decency of a heads-up on what was unfolding.
- others? Linden forced into retirement? Ohlund walking without an offer (or rights at least traded for a pick)? Grabner?
Yep, the pattern is easy if one actually looks at how mgmt has "managed" this team's assets in recent years - Where Hodgson's only character blemish comes from his dealings with the Canucks and what has been implied/inferred against him by management, Canucks management has a lengthy list of players they've bus tossed and played head games with. So, best guess is that Hodgson doesn't deserve the insults any more than Naslund, Morrison, Ohlund, Malholtra, Lu, Cory, etc...