The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks NOT Expected to be Active in Free Agency - Raymond, Lapierre, Alberts Likely Gone Too

We need at least another top 6 player. We can hope Booth stays healthy and becomes that guy, but if he doesn't we're right back with the same problems we had this year. No scoring.

Changing the coach and expecting we'll all of a sudden score in the playoffs is a bit hopeful I think. It's not AV's coaching that was the problem for scoring, it was the personnel. We didn't have nearly enough depth. And I'm not sure if putting rookies in key top 6 roles is gonna solve that problem.

One more top 6 and filling in the rest of the holes with youth is what we need to do IMO.

Agreed especially now where the buy outs are giving opportunity to get some good players. Seems like it's only Booth's cap hit that is in the way. Can the Waivers happen like what nux4lyfe said?

Sucks Lappy is likely gone but oh well, I think Lain is ready for that role and it would be nice to finally have some prospects on the club. Right now I guess this is what we are looking at:

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Sestito - Lain - Weise

Hamhuis - Garrison

Edler - Bieksa

Corrado - Tanev

Luongo

Lack/Ericsson

*Note, part of the lineup (D-pairs & wingers) is interchangeable. Just throwing this out as an estimate.

Brad Zeimer is an idiot from PoCo. We all can read CapGeek.com

We supposedly have 7.49 M with Lack as our backup and Corrado on our roster already (check capgeek).

Here's my analysis:

• Weise gets Sestito money = 750K

• Lain gets 650K

• Tanev gets 1.35M

• Schroeder 1M******Now figure the 3rd line Centre will be filled with one of our prospects, be it Schroeder, Horvat or Gaunce - all under 1M

That leaves us with roughly 3.75M for a 2nd Liner and a Depth Defensemen (Jonathan Blum is a good idea for cheap)

My thinking is that some of the new contracts will be bottom loaded for cap relief and that Canucks will go hard on Weiss for that 2nd line spot. Tanev might make just 1M this year and 1.5 next year etc etc. Right now they just need to scrounge but Gilman is a CBA expert and I wouldn't worry too much now that Ballard is bought out.

It's rough for sure, and won't leave us much room, but it's what will need to be done. Basically if the Canucks can't get a 2nd liner and just tries to fill the 2nd line with a hopeful prospect, they wont get very far. 2nd liners go hot and cold and prospects have the toughest time with consistency.

I have faith that the Canucks will get it done though.

BTW the reason I think Canucks WILL go for a 2nd liner is their already posting articles looking at 2nd liners specifically: http://canucks.nhl.c...vid=DL|VAN|home

Pretty dumb to post stuff like that and come out of Free Agency empty-handed. ie: not many Season Ticket holders will be happy, esp if their raising prices.

Also, forgive my harshness, but an inexperienced 5'8 rookie Schroeder, has no part on a Stanley cup winning team. Jordan is a replacement part at best right now, he won;t step up if an injury to one of our top two centers occurred, and knowing Kesler, it will happen sooner or later.

I dunno, unless one of our centers absolutely stuns us with skill and makes the team, I just dont see us having any depth at all for a long run, I mean look at us, barely squeaking a roster onto the ice. This means that the Canucks will likely play while injured, meaning we could be too beat up come playoff time and player morale might suffer. I'm not happy with this at all.

Need to dump one of our big contracts like Edler and replace him with a 1st and someone who can contribute for cheaper.

Parros would be a great addition as would Nystrom but I thought Parros was signed by florida still.

Both those guys flanking Lain would make a real tough 4th line and have schroeder or guance centring the third. Id lean towards Schroeder as I think guance might need to play and get experience in the ahl

Parros would be a great addition as would Nystrom but I thought Parros was signed by florida still.

Both those guys flanking Lain would make a real tough 4th line and have schroeder or guance centring the third. Id lean towards Schroeder as I think guance might need to play and get experience in the ahl

Makes sense, we need to make the most of what we have this year which means Gaunce or Schroeder as 3rd line centre. I would like to see Sauve + Tanev as the third D pairing. Gonna see lot's of young guys this year due to their cheaper cap hits.

Archived