The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks in 3 years, a perfect storm?

babych

First off, there have been many negative threads about Vancouver and the "window closing". While I don't really buy into this I think it's true that teams have ebbs and flows in terms of the product they ice.

Vancouver is up tight against the cap this upcoming year and, as such, might not be able to ice as good of a team as the previous few.

But consider this, in 3 years we could potentially have an amazing team, similar to (if not better than) the one that almost won it all in 2011, and here's why:

1) most of the core will still be here (I see the Sedins coming back for another 3 years) and, while older, will still be able to contribute

2) Corrado and Tanev will have 3 years more experience

3) We should have quite a few spots taken up by players on ELC: Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Jensen and Horvat just to name a few.

Anyway, I see 2015/16 Canucks as being an excellent mix of youth and experience. Having 3 or 4 players on ELC should free up enough space to make some big-time additions.

Here's to optimism.

I kind of agree. I think the Canucks are still a playoff team, but not a serious contender. I do however think they can become a contender again if some recent draftees (Jensen, Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk) can make the jump and fill in key spots in the next 3 years.

I agree, if you look at the possible line combos the future is bright. Assuming our prospects reach expectations.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Jensen Kesler shinkaruk

Gaunce Horvat Burrows

Higgins Lain Hansen

That's depth

That 4th line would be DIRTY. You know you have depth when you have tweener 2nd liners playing on the 4th :bigblush:

I agree, if you look at the possible line combos the future is bright. Assuming our prospects reach expectations.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Jensen Kesler shinkaruk

Gaunce Horvat Burrows

Higgins Lain Hansen

That's depth

That 4th line would be DIRTY. You know you have depth when you have tweener 2nd liners playing on the 4th :bigblush:

This is what I'm thinking. Kinda like the make-up when Anaheim and Chicago won their cups.

in today's nhl, that's a formula for success. Higgins and Hansen would be fourth liners with key young players in bigger roles.

I actually like it. I mean if Higgy and Hansen are fourth liners, you better bet that fourth line is getting 12-14 minutes a game. I also like the idea of Shinkaruk playing in the top-6 like Saad did for Chicago.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Jensen Kesler shinkaruk

Gaunce Horvat Burrows

Higgins Lain Hansen

That's depth

yea that's if gillis doesn't make any (horrible) trades in 3 years. And even if he doesn't, everyone on here will be screaming for bold moves!

Sedin Sedin Shinkaruk

Burrows Kesler Horvat

Jensen Schroeder Kassian

Higgins Gaunce Hansen

yeah this team has a ton of potential to become a serious threat

just a matter of how long until the prospects become players

:) & I refuse to exclude Schroeder from the list of potential impact players

Except Luongo already has an injury preventing him from being capable of moving laterally without bellyflopping. Not to mention turning into a seive during the playoffs.

try doing the splits and then sliding laterally across the net without falling forward at the end of the movement, every single goalie falls forward when they do this watch other goalies in the NHL. They go for the save and whether they make it or miss it they end up on their stomach at the end

Quick for example, watch him on the goal

Except Luongo already has an injury preventing him from being capable of moving laterally without bellyflopping. Not to mention turning into a seive during the playoffs.

Dude he's an unreal goalie. Lose the hard on for Schneider he's gone get over it.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Jensen Kesler shinkaruk

Gaunce Horvat Burrows

Higgins Lain Hansen

That's depth

2 Centre's on the 3rd line who will most likely be two of the best young TWF's. I can see Horvat going for the Selke in the future, same with Gaunce.

Archived