The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Luongo still undecided on returning to Vancouver, exploring options

#nextcbatopic - contract cancellation on mutual agreement, or contract adjustment with newly negotiated contract

It drives me crazy why NHLPA and the NHL still haven't ironed out something like this.

with all due respect to luongo, MG presented the contract, but he agreed to it, so he should take this responsibility too. It's not like you can just trade him, other teams don't want him, not because he's roberto luongo, it's because of the 9 years remaining.

What the hell is wrong with the Canucks management team in terms of ability to communicate though? Seriously, why did they not pick up the phone and talk to Luongo about the situation when they were looking to deal Schneider instead?

For years we have heard players say they did not know what was expected from the coach, what their role was supposed to be, etc. and many (including me) pointed to AV as the main source of the non communication with the players. I am starting to believe it is an organizational philosophy from Gillis right on down though. This is just stupid.

Get us a GM who does not pretend to treat players well but does the opposite when push comes to shove. Luongo, Ballard, Malhotra, Hodgson, Grabner, etc. etc. etc. The landscape is littered with guys who got fracked by this organization.

No player would accept to play after that.

He's shown far far more class than Roy did in Montreal... hopefully he'll change his mind. If not then I respect his decision.

100% classless organization

First we ran Bure out of town

Now luongo? Aquilini and MG get on your knees u pathetic excuses for human beings.

I wonder if there's any way the Canucks could broker some deal with a prospective Quebec City ownership group...to trade 'em Luongo - before a dispersal draft. Effectively,this could let the Canucks select any un-protected goalie available thru-out the league. If FLA or TB don't make efforts to make legitimate offers in trade for Lu - this scenario could be a resolution. Yikes! Lu either has love & respect for his 'mates in VAN...or he does not. This decision to play or NOT to play....will be yet another revelation of his pride & character. I'm not all that sure how well things will turn-out for the Canucks. Lu will be just fine - no matter. He could choose to play in Europe...or pull a Timmy Thomas & hide-out with his family & enjoy some extra vacation-time playing in sponsored poker tournaments for money or for laughs. Yah - he's got options....but only ONE of 'em says he's a person worthy of the "hero-status" he's given him here in the past. It really is gut-check time folks! What sort of man will Luongo choose to be? Takin' a deep breath & keepin' my fingers crossed....

If the NHL didnt implement a retroactive penalty to contracts that, when signed, were perfectly legal and approved by the NHL, it would have been easier to move him. It was bush league and put many teams in a precarious position where, even if a player was traded, you could be penalized down the road for recapture upon the player's early retirement. Why do you think there were so many buyouts of these 'backdiving' contracts? Why existing, approved contracts weren't grandfathered in is completely beyond me.

How can you change the rules and then penalize people for making contracts that didn't violate the rules at the time? It's like if they put in a visor rule across the board with no grandfathering, and started fining people next season for not wearing a visor last year.

Ultimately Gillis AND Luongo are BOTH responsible for the contract. Gillis for filing a technically legal contract and trying to outsmart or skirt around the rules. Luongo for wanting alot of money that could only be provided at the time through a long-term deal. AV also has some responsibility for creating the controversy, but quite possibly at the behest of management to 'showcase' Cory, similar to CoHo, in order to increase his value as an asset.

I'm not saying that the ordeal has been handled well, and think something should have been done after the 2011 run or at the 2012 deadline/draft, but... hindsight . If there was no possibility of a future penalty, i think teams would have been more receptive to a deal for Luongo, and the Canucks may have been more receptive to retaining some salary.

No player would accept to play after that.

He's shown far far more class than Roy did in Montreal... hopefully he'll change his mind. If not then I respect his decision.

100% classless organization

First we ran Bure out of town

Now luongo? Aquilini and MG get on your knees u pathetic excuses for human beings.

Bryzgalov doesn't give a crap about hockey. He doesn't deserve a contract from anyone.

Again, Lu did not say any of what Lavoie has tweeted. Lavoie is just speculating, but his speculation means absolutely nothing because it essentially isn't saying anything different from what we already know. Just be patient and don't allow the media to dictate your opinion of Lu.

The GM only said that because LUONGO WENT TO THE MEDIA SAYING HE WOULD WAIVE IE I WANT A TRADE BECAUSE I DIDN'T PLAY 2 GAMES.

luongo signed a very lucrative contract to do a job... he tried to get out of that job while keeping the contract.. the team tried to oblige him.. it couldnt' be done... So shut your yap and do the job that you signed on to do or rot and drift into history

Archived