The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sabres struggling to re-sign Hodgson, fielding offers for him

I have no clue why people think all players should be kind, caring, open and honest people who were all raised on a farm from the early 50's and say their prayers and take their vitamins and play for the love of the game.

Pull your heads out of your collective rears. I personally don't give a crap if they are terrible people who only play for their pay, as long as they do their job. Hodgson cones as advertised. He is offensively gifted and puts up points. Who cares if he is self entitled? He is getting paid a lot of money to do something that he has spent a lot of his childhood getting good at, and it could all end in his next game. Smart person to get his bank account topped up.

I would rather have a dick like Hodgson who scores and passes than a nice guy like Higgins who plays in spurts. Funny thing about fans is they only care who the person is when the team is losing. Win the cup and Avery is a great team guy all of a sudden.

An odd post. What does Higgins have to do with the price of Hodgson?

Higgins btw is a solid two way player who puts up elite third line production at a 3rd line cap hit...

Hodgson.... a one way player with 77 career NHL points who expected top 6 minutes as a rookie and top line money as a guy with....77 points, in 139 NHL games...

I'd rather have a two way, Selke winning, 40 goal scoring guy with a chip on his shoulder like Kesler...

You mean an injured Kesler?

Ice time is earned by merit, not reputation. Hodgson earned his ice time moreso than Kesler at the time.

I blame this squarely with AV. Could have easily put Hodgson with Kesler, either as centre or wing to test things out. It wasn't like the Canucks then were clawing to make the playoffs, they went on to win the President Trophy. Kesler is more suited on RW, who knows what chemistry could have been developed if given the opportunity. CH's defense would be boosted by Kesler's abilities.

A line of Booth-Hodgson-Kesler would have been perfect (in theory). A speedy powerforward, a elite playmaking centre, a Selke-winning sniper RW.

the nature of my dad's work is that he comes into contact with a lot of hockey people, he has all his life, he use to drink with scotty bowman in mtl...anyway, the summer after he was drafted, in september my dad said one of the guys he had lunch with is a scout and they got to talking about hockey, anyway that scout said he felt the canucks had a drafted a real good player but that he knew "the right words to say to make people think he was a character guy," the scout said he was at a bar with a bunch of nhl players in toronto, when some young nhlers and prospects came in and cody was among them, as the night went on, cody started bragging how he knew he was going to make the canucks out of camp and he would at least take over Malhotra's position...when my dad told me this I thought that scout was probably drunk or something if he thought cody was being arrogant and bragging because he was touted as such a character guy and in fact that is what gillis liked about him most...

that story seems to make a lot more sense now

Depends on which camp he was referring to.

2009: No Manny. No Coho for most of his final junior season.

2010: Manny just signed. Cody struggled.

2011: Post-Manny injury. Cody played 63 games in the season before being traded.

Guessing 2011 camp. Coho didn't really need to 'brag' about taking over Manny's spot, as there was only a slim chance that Manny could retain it. Maybe it wasn't really bragging.

But if it was 2010 camp or earlier, then Coho was obviously way off in his self-assessment.

Oh snap, 'the summer after he was drafted?'

Okay, doesn't make much sense referring to Manny, since he wasn't around yet, but if Coho thought he was going to make the team straight out of junior, then we're starting to get a clue as to why he's not around currently. Still, at the time, the Canucks weren't looking all that great. He very well could've made the team if we continued along the Dave Nonis method of relying on guys like Ryan Shannon and Brad Isbister for offense.

No, you mean an injured Kesler.

Hodgson hadn't earned squat. A rookie whose production tailed off after 8 weeks and whose very weak underlying numbers indicated precisely what most of us could see - that his talent was limited to scoring, and even that part of his game was highly inconsistent - after all, he was a rookie.

You don't move a Selke center who is 57.4% in the faceoff circle to the wing to accommodate a Hodgson group that has a highly premature overestimation of itself. Hodgson is the one more suited to play wing - he's a weak skater, he is weak in the faceoff circle, he has terrible defensive sense, and he lacks grit. The wing would be ideal for him.

I don't blame anyone for this - it was the right move for both sides - and the reality only would have become clearer with time.

the nature of my dad's work is that he comes into contact with a lot of hockey people, he has all his life, he use to drink with scotty bowman in mtl...anyway, the summer after he was drafted, in september my dad said one of the guys he had lunch with is a scout and they got to talking about hockey, anyway that scout said he felt the canucks had a drafted a real good player but that he knew "the right words to say to make people think he was a character guy," the scout said he was at a bar with a bunch of nhl players in toronto, when some young nhlers and prospects came in and cody was among them, as the night went on, cody started bragging how he knew he was going to make the canucks out of camp and he would at least take over Malhotra's position...when my dad told me this I thought that scout was probably drunk or something if he thought cody was being arrogant and bragging because he was touted as such a character guy and in fact that is what gillis liked about him most...

that story seems to make a lot more sense now

As fans you never know what is happening behind closed doors. I do suspect that Gillis's comment about the amount of time spent on CoHo's relationship with the Canucks was based on truth. That isn't a total negative as some players simply require more attention. The fact that Hodgson nearly lost his career with the back injury probably created a whole basket of issues for a young player.

One thing that stands out for me was how CoHo was treated by his teammates on the ice and on the bench. I didn't see a lot of mutual back slapping that usually goes on. Look at the contrast towards Kassian. It does stand out.

As fans you never know what is happening behind closed doors. I do suspect that Gillis's comment about the amount of time spent on CoHo's relationship with the Canucks was based on truth. That isn't a total negative as some players simply require more attention. The fact that Hodgson nearly lost his career with the back injury probably created a whole basket of issues for a young player.

One thing that stands out for me was how CoHo was treated by his teammates on the ice and on the bench. I didn't see a lot of mutual back slapping that usually goes on. Look at the contrast towards Kassian. It does stand out.

Archived