The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sabres struggling to re-sign Hodgson, fielding offers for him

I am sorry DeNiro. I have to disagree on this one. I don't think that is how this is going to play out. If there was some easy middle ground , they would have signed him already. Sabres are nowhere near any cap issues and need the center depth. I believe Cody has a problem being stuck in a long rebuild.

Or it could be that his agent is inside his head telling him that he's one of the top centerman in the league and deserves to be paid the 5-6 million that other top centerman are getting.

Although Buffalo has lots of cap space, they may not be convinced that Hodgson is going to be their number 1 centerman going forward, and therefore doesn't deserve to be paid as one.

Whether you like Ritch Winters or not, he's good at what he does.

He represented past/present (more notable ones):

Ryan Getzlaf, Marian Gaborik, Braydon Coburn, Ilya Bryzgalov, Dominic Hasek, Petr Bondra, Alex Tanguay, Marian Hossa, Brendan Gallagher, Barret Jackman, Milan Lucic, Andrej Meszaros, Carey Price, Brent Seabrook..... plus many more other players.

Interestingly enough.... Cody Franson, Mark Fistric and Cody Hodgson are all his clients and are all unsigned.

Or it could be that his agent is inside his head telling him that he's one of the top centerman in the league and deserves to be paid the 5-6 million that other top centerman are getting.

Although Buffalo has lots of cap space, they may not be convinced that Hodgson is going to be their number 1 centerman going forward, and therefore doesn't deserve to be paid as one.

The following was just posted on the score mobile app;

Report: Sabres waiting on Hodgson

Posted at 3:25 PM via TheScore.com

Cody Hodgson remains the lone restricted free agent yet to be locked up by the Buffalo Sabres, but, as Paul Hamilton of WGR 550 in Buffalo reports, Hodgson "could become a big problem" for the team.

Citing a murky history between the team and Hodgson's agent, Ritch Winter, Hamilton suggests that the perceived stalemate that exists between the two parties may result in Hodgson's eventual departure from Buffalo:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Sabres are pushed to a point where the have to trade the centerman because of Winter.

Calling him "one of the sleaziest agents in pro sports", Hamilton points back to the "many, many poor decisions" made by Dominik Hasek under Winter's advisement, as well as the fact that Hodgson's time in Vancouver came to a premature end due to a number of contentious issues that developed between him and the organization.

Hodgson - the 10th pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft - scored 15 goals and 19 assists in 48 games for the Sabres in 2013, and is believed to be a big part of their future moving forward.

Prior to the signing of Corey Tropp, Buffalo had over $10 million remaining in available cap space, putting them fourth from the bottom in terms of payroll heading into a new season.

This is the thing isn't it?

Sabres: Sign this 'bridge contract' for 3million so we can see what you got. Then get your 6-7 mil when you hit 40 goals 80 points etc.........

Hodgson; Look , you guys are rebuilding and we are going to suck for 5 years. How can I get 40 goals with no Pominville nor Vanek most likely ? Get 40 goals with Steve Ott? If you guys want me to hang around during this rebuild, pay me the money I would have made if I had good linemates.

Sabres : We cant predict you are going to be able to carry the franchise on your back. We dont want to be stuck with a long contract for a guy who is only a 1 dimensional 60 point guy at most.

So both sides are trying to hedge against the future and I think the Sabres should send him to Long Island for Strome.

edit; Dont know if this is exact value but its a rough starting point.

2 of the most mild mannered and quietest Canucks/formernucks in Tanev and Coho getting blasted for being "greedy" and "cancerous" during negotiations. Not because of anything they actually did or said, but mysterious "leaks" from anonymous or biased sources.

Un********believable.

Buffalo operates in the sense that they like to have a shorter second contract instead of spending big money on RFA's, so they can sign a longer-term deal before they even have a chance to hit UFA. Myers and Vanek have been the two exceptions to that rule (Vanek was offersheeted). Even though it's speculation on my part, I can almost guarantee that the problem is the term. Buffalo likely wants a 2-3 year deal for Cody while Cody's camp wants a longer term (5-6 year) deal. They have the entire summer and training camp to figure it out, just like the Habs did with Subban and the Kings did with Doughty (both got signed).

Relax Canucks fans, both Tanev and Hodgson will be signed by their respective teams eventually.

Unbelievable eh? I guess Pietrangelo, Kadri, Cowen, Franson, Boedker, Johansson, Stepan, Nyquist, Henrique, etc all are greedy and cancerous as well. And I guess Subban was last year as well, even though he's on one of the best contracts in the league.

Everything that has come out about Hodgson in these negotiations have been pure speculation. It's just butt-hurt Vancouver fans trying to make a spectacle out of it.

Buffalo operates in the sense that they like to have a shorter second contract instead of spending big money on RFA's, so they can sign a longer-term deal before they even have a chance to hit UFA. Myers and Vanek have been the two exceptions to that rule (Vanek was offersheeted). Even though it's speculation on my part, I can almost guarantee that the problem is the term. Buffalo likely wants a 2-3 year deal for Cody while Cody's camp wants a longer term (5-6 year) deal. They have the entire summer and training camp to figure it out, just like the Habs did with Subban and the Kings did with Doughty (both got signed).

Relax Canucks fans, both Tanev and Hodgson will be signed by their respective teams eventually.

I'm laughing because you are comparing the Hodgson situation to Subban and Doughty. Now that's comedy. Once again one has to listen closely to what people are saying in Buffalo as they did in Vancouver.

Cody Hodgson's father is very difficult to deal with as is Cody. It's daily, even before any contract talk. Remember Gillis stating how much time it took to deal with Cody compared t the rest of his team? I heard the very thing stated on the TEAM1040 last week but with Buffalo. Cody Hodgson has a history tangling with management before any contract talks even began. Subban and Doughty for the most part have been fine with management. Correct me if I"m wrong but I just don't recall there being problems with management.

I still think there's a lot of upside with Kassian. I for one am glad Hodgson is gone.

Kassian is willing to learn and I think he's growing up. The guy can skate and he's tough.

I predict Hodgson will soon be forgotten and Gillis redeemed on the deal.

I'm laughing because you are comparing the Hodgson situation to Subban and Doughty. Now that's comedy. Once again one has to listen closely to what people are saying in Buffalo as they did in Vancouver.

Cody Hodgson's father is very difficult to deal with as is Cody. It's daily, even before any contract talk. Remember Gillis stating how much time it took to deal with Cody compared t the rest of his team? I heard the very thing stated on the TEAM1040 last week but with Buffalo. Cody Hodgson has a history tangling with management before any contract talks even began. Subban and Doughty for the most part have been fine with management. Correct me if I"m wrong but I just don't recall there being problems with management.

I still think there's a lot of upside with Kassian. I for one am glad Hodgson is gone.

Kassian is willing to learn and I think he's growing up. The guy can skate and he's tough.

I predict Hodgson will soon be forgotten and Gillis redeemed on the deal.

Archived