7 replies to this topic

#1 CALGARY!

CALGARY!

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

I think both conferences will be tougher to crack a playoff spot this season. Detritus arrival in the east is enough to make all the other teams there a bit Leary. Iggy fits in nicely in Boston, a player who can score, fight, go into the corners, Bostom remains tough with or without Horton. The Pens will be the Pens, if Sid can finally play a full season I would not rule our a 140+ point season for him, and likely the Pens will go on to another top seed position in the east and likely contend for the Presidents trophy. The Isles are another year more experienced and will likely move up in the standings, TB of course drafted Drouin, who should be ready to compete out of camp, With Hedman and the rest of their you g d corps having more experience, I can see them back in playoff contention, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal will all be strong again, Florida has a growing threat in their top 6, still need d and a goalie, but should play well. Carolina looks solid on paper, maybe they can hit a grooe. NYR is a team built for AVs coaching style and will likely play strong.

In the West Chicago will remain extremely strong, LA and St Louis are the big bodied teams with loads of depth at every position. San Jose and Vancouver are both aging, but will likely make the playoffs. If Bobrovski turns out to be the real deal and not a one season wonder the Blue Jackets will be a boring, but solid team. Minnesota looks good on paper, and if they find chemistry and play more consistently they will likely move up. Colorado has a speedy highly skilled top 6, and with the addition of Cory Sarich they have a veteran stay at home shut down guy who plays a physical game, they lack goaltending but could make a deal this summer, either way they have a solid shot at the playoffs, Edmonton added two new dmen with the KHL signing and Darnell Nurse, if Nurse is ready to play at the top level, Edmonton should have a solid top 4 d corps, while Dubnyk gets better every year, look for the Oil to make a huge jump this year, Winnipeg and Calgary are young and inexperienced, but with no expectations or pressure they could have decent seasons, if nothing else they will gain experience for the young guys and shoot for Aaron Eckblad. Weber and Seth Jones will be among the toughest, if not thee toughest guys for any teams top line to try to break threw, and if they do they still have to beat Rinne. Nashvilles boring but effective defensive neutral zone shut down game will be tough.

All in all I say it's pretty hard to call standings right now, and we stil, have free agency and summer trades to see what happens. Both conferences will be tight and closely matched, I'm looking forward to an exciting season with a few new playoff entries. Also stoked for the Olympics already.

#2 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

I am certainly concerned about not having a weak NW division to feast on next year. I don't think playoffs are guaranteed to us at all. But scratching and clawing our way in might be good for the team.

Definitely to early to make many predictions other than the obvious. A lot of changes pretty much across the board. Will be an interesting season, that's for sure.
Posted Image

#3 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

I think both conferences will be tougher to crack a playoff spot this season

Welp. We know that you're Captain On The Ball

Keswho.jpg

#4 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

How can both conferences get tougher? Where is all this extra talent magically appearing from?

#5 bloodyknukles

bloodyknukles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

the habs have jumped to one of the tougher teams in the league now. alot of tough free agent types still up for grabs.

#6 khay

khay

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

How can both conferences get tougher? Where is all this extra talent magically appearing from?

Both conferences getting tougher doesn't necessarily mean that extra talent magically appeared... It could be that the teams that were once strong lost some talent and that weak teams gained on those talent, thereby making all teams evenly matched and hence, both conferences getting tougher as there aren't any easy wins.

#7 bloodyknukles

bloodyknukles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

players who are in other teams farm clubs and contracts ending with the khl. echl , chl and so forth. I saw debiens was drafted to play in the lnah , but has an nhl contract now. great ponds to fish tough guys from .

#8 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

4 divisions/conferences now bud
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for avatar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.