The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis is Destroying the Vancouver Canucks

In the Slot

This is not a 'panic' the sky is falling post. If that is going to be your response, do not read it, move on and don't waste your time or anyone elses.

Snarky, stupid, infantile responses will just prove to everyone your lack of hockey knowledge and maturity. If you have a comment, a fair retort, please do give your views, this is mine. Please pay attention to what I have qualified/.bolded etc. Thank you.

1. If we look at our roster today (and I will qualify it by saying there is still a whole summer to go but given MG's comments about few moves, we really can't expect to see much change), it is worse that the end of last year, worse than the year prior, and certainly, worse than 2011. That is the biggest sign.

2. I would argue, that MG has completely bungled this team up based on his bad past decisions, whether they be trades, signings, lack thereof and misread the impact of the CBA changes.

Exhibit:

A. Raffi Torres. The Canucks have lacked physicality, even in their run, when they came up against the Bruins, the lack of size, physical pushback was apparent. As such, he lets our leading hitter, a guy who plays with an edge, has speed and can score from the 3rd line walk over 750k. He then tries to trade for him last year. This is a blatant example of poor decision making, which he presented to the entire NHL by trying to back track.

B. Our 4th line. After seeing that we did not match up well against Boston, then LA physically, and acknowledging (albeit after 2 years) that the playoffs in the west are a different game where size wins, he brings us Weiss and Sestito. Weiss is a fast player who barely hits. Put in perspective, Dale Weiss was not even in the top 100 in hits in the NHL last year. Something is wrong when Stephen Gionta has more hits than our apparent 'toughness' and grit. Again, that is an MG decision to allow Torres and Tanner Glass to walk. Players who understood their roles and played them well. Sestito is usesless and we all know that. He cannot skate, is big but gets beaten up by heavyweights, I am not even wasting time on that one.

C. Maxim Lappierre. He was our leader in hits over the last 3 years, on a team clearly lacking in physicality. He was a good faceoff man and an excellent 4c. He was the only legitimate NHL'er on that 4th line and we have replaced him with Richardson who is under 50% in his faceoffs over the last 3 years, is smaller by 3 inches, and not a hitter. I fail to see any logic here and truly wonder what the hell is going through Gillis's mind.

D. Booth and Ballard deals. 2 deals that were poor decisions in terms of what our needs were and cap space. We neither addressed our needs at the time (a number 5/6 d - Ballard is a 3-4) and a top 6 winger, and at the same time took on alot of cap that handcuffed the team.

E. MayRay over Grabner. Not whining - fact. Grabner is proving to be a better, more effective player and MayRay was just let walk.

F. Luongo's contract - nuff said

G. CoHo for Kassian. CoHo needed to be moved, but the 'spin' MG gave the fans about needing size is a bit ironic of a number of reasons. 1. He had just let size go in Torres and Glass. 2 Kassian was clearly not ready to provide the type of impact that CoHo was providing. I like Kassian, and if developed properly could turn into a terrific player, but the timing and thus return for that player was sub par.

H. Our problem at 3c. MG was well aware, and stated in the media, that prior to the summer, he expected that Manny would not be able to play. He was aware that Kesler was hurt, and has had a history of injuries such that having a player who could slot into a 2c role from 3c was important. He made no moves, was offered Kadri and Bozak for Luongo, which was turned down (again another example of his stupidity). He has still not addressed this issue and given his cap constraints cannot.

I. Roy - giving up a decent defensive prospect and a 2nd round pick for a rental who is small, when we need a 3c who had size and could take hard defensive minutes and draws away from Kesler. Again, wrong player, wrong time, bad return

J. Schneider - we all know this was a poorly executed trade, something MG seems to be an expert at, giving up young talent for less that its value. Moreover, we don't even know if Luongo will report, amazing the stupidity of this man (MG). Trade your most valuable asset for a pick/potential without even knowing if the other guy is even going to report, let alone want to play here/ have his heart in it even if he does. Focus matters in goaltending, we just gave away a future vezina winner for a guy who even if he's here, has had an issue with his emotional side of the game/focus and is showing us he will have issues with it even if he comes back. Great foresight, great insight into a players mindset.

My issue is, what is MG's "plan" here? Clearly, the team the way it stands right now, cannot challenge for a cup. Anyone who thinks it can is really being absurd, and this is coming from a 25 yr fan. So what is he doing? He's not 'resetting' and he's not 'going for it'

He has:

• allowed size that can play the game to walk when its been a big part of what we are lacking. (Torres, Glass, Lappierre)

• he has made repeatedly poor trades both in return and timing (Booth, Ballard, Hodgson, Schnieder, Grabner, Roy)

• he has taken on bad contracts that are either overpaying for a positional need, or not playing to their expectations. (Ballard, Booth)

• he never addressed our issues at center (Roy???) even though he knew well in advance we had issues - his own words on Manny and aware Kesler was injured and oft injured

• he wasn't able to move luongo

• our young depth is better but given what he gave up, isn't commensurate, ie no 'gamebreakers' after trading Schneider (a top 3 young goaltender) and Hodgson

• Our ability to win the cup in the next 2 years (Sedin window) is worse

• Our future is not 'set' given the lack of a game breaker - sure we have some solid 2/3/4 youth (we hope) but no one to replace the Sedins and put people in the seats. (Sorry but Shinkaruk and Horvat still haven't proven a thing folks), and look what we gave up.

• So he has neither improved our chances now, nor improved our chances in the future - isn't that his job?

So what's his plan? Is he putting a team together that will limp into the playoffs then get knocked out? What's the point? As we all know the Sedin's window is 2 years, if you're not going to take advantage of it gut the team, and if that were the case Lou should have been moved for a salary dump vs the ridiculous hockey trade he tried to make.

I fear this man really no longer has a plan. He is to fearful to make a move, so he over analyzes, takes too much time, then realizes at the last minute he's boxed into a corner and panics and makes a bad decision. His strategic decision making is terrible and it can be seen above through the confluence of bad decisions he has made, and has forced himself into.

Get ready for some really bad hockey folks. I hope Acquilini likes empty seats, he's going to see alot of them this year.

MG has made a mockery out of this team, and is now rivaling John Ferguson as one of the worst GM's in hockey history.

Many people rationalize one or two of these issues away in defense of MG. However, it is always easy to rationalize issues away when you compartmentalize them. When you aggregate issues, you tend to see the whole picture. As I have done here, I have aggregated many of his errors. Sure, one can argue its hindsight, but given his job is to be strategic and think forward, if you look at these decisions together you start seeing a real picture of what he has accomplished.

All MG has accomplished, is to make this team weaker in the short run, and in the long run. There is potential in the long run, but we gave up PROVEN young players to 'restock' because of his errors.

Giving up proven players for potential is never smart, that is adding risk.

MG is a blatant failure.

fans like you are the ones who are destroying this team. Fans like you over value the assets we let go or didn't get, and under value our own players who actually want to stay here.

Then you treat this team like the ones you saw in NHL 13 and bitch on any moves that our GM or players made. There is absolutely no logic behind your arguments other than trying to get a change of staffs to satisfy your hunger for new stuffs... much like how a kid want to see new toys.

Gillis isn't perfect, and he made some mistakes in the past, but that's life because he's human. Using hindsight to complain about how bad the deals he made were is in my opinion, a very stupid thing to do.

I agree on all fronts. Mike Gillis is the master of saying one thing, but doing the complete opposite.

Prepare to get flamed though, my last 3 threads criticizing Mike Gillis and ownership have been locked. Apparently the majority of CDC are brainless sheep that believe the propaganda Gillis spews from his mouth.

He is still blaming the lockout for our current goalie situation. MG, let me tell you something, the lockout had nothing to do with the ridiculous contract you offered Luongo, and in fact gave you more time to find a suitable trading partner.

fans like you are the ones who are destroying this team. Fans like you over value the assets we let go or didn't get, and under value our own players who actually want to stay here.

Then you treat this team like the ones you saw in NHL 13 and bitch on any moves that our GM or players made. There is absolutely no logic behind your arguments other than trying to get a change of staffs to satisfy your hunger for new stuffs... much like how a kid want to see new toys.

Gillis isn't perfect, and he made some mistakes in the past, but that's life because he's human. Using hindsight to complain about how bad the deals he made were is in my opinion, a very stupid thing to do.

He is getting progressively worse and therefore the team suffers. The two biggest realizations the team had after losing to Boston was that it wasn't tough enough and it couldn't score enough. 2 years later we do not have that top 6 winger he promised and you could argue the team is even less as tough as the team from 2011. That was 2 years ago and he has done nothing to move this team in the direction we thought we were going to. Now we are rebuilding and stocking up on young players. How can people not see that the window is closed and that this core has failed? Do you want him to say it? Really, take a second, seriously, now... Look at the team and tell me where the hell we are going now. Stuck in Limbo like the flames and leafs were.

This is embarrassing, I can't believe I just read that, you are using hindsight left, right and center to fuel your arguments, you overreacting to stupid things like letting Tanner Glass and Raffi Torres go. (cause we all know they are the keys to winning a Stanley Cup) and not even being fair at all with your criticisms.

Anyways, since I took the time to read it, and since you took the time to type it out, I'll go through your post entirely.

As sad as it is to admit, strange things (and disturbing I might add) have been going on in MG's 'war room' in regards to decisions affecting the Canucks. The kind of decisions that leave you scratching your head wondering what he is doing and if he does in fact have a plan in place at all. When he came here and took over from Nonis, he effectively inherited the team we have today. It was mostly built already. What made him look like a genius GM was by not messing with the main pieces already in place when he arrived. All he's really been doing to date is benefitting from the work of the GM's before him (Burke and Nonis). All he has had to do is pretty much just tweek here and there and maintain the status quo. This formula has kept him employed and in the eyes of the fans, it has made him look like a competent GM even though he has not had to be much of one. Now, it has come to a point where he suddenly has to make very hard decisions, where he has to be an actual GM and put his own stamp on the team....where he actually has to BUILD a team. I would say he is floundering right now and is in over his head. He may very well have been a top notch player agent in the past, but when it comes to being a true NHL GM, I am not sure he has the attributes necessary to be successful. He is making very questionable decisions to the detriment of the club. I think, and I am sure I am not the only one here, he should be replaced ASAP before he further mishandles team assets. I know some people on CDC don't like him, but he is one hell of an upgrade and a bonafide NHL GM who knows how to build a team and has the respect of the NHL and all of it's GM's. Oh. By the way, he knows how to make trades as well and built most of our team as well as drafted the Sedins. I say get Brian Burke in here ASAP to clean up this mess Gillis has created.

This is embarrassing, I can't believe I just read that, you are using hindsight left, right and center to fuel your arguments, you overreacting to stupid things like letting Tanner Glass and Raffi Torres go. (cause we all know they are the keys to winning a Stanley Cup) and not even being fair at all with your criticisms.

Anyways, since I took the time to read it, and since you took the time to type it out, I'll go through your post entire.

Anyways, since I took the time to read it, and since you took the time to type it out, I'll go through your post entire.

How exactly do you evaluate a player, gm etc or any professional if you don't look at their track record sir.

Moreover, given your cherry picking example - again 'compartmentalizing' vs aggregating a TRACK RECORD.

Would you take a 4th line of

Torres Lappiere Glass over

Sestito, Richardson, Weiss

Which of those 2 is better suited to help us win a cup? please tell me?

And actually, if you watch or know about hockey, the 3rd and 4th lines are VERY KEY to winning a Stanley cup.

Let me explain why:

• Hitting. Physical play is key to wearing down defensive studs, like a Chara etc. We all saw what happened when a 4th liner (Bickell) was placed with Toews for the sole purpose of hitting Chara. By getting in on top of the oppositions best dmen, hitting them constantly, they tire out. By tiring out, they then have less energy to expend hitting and shadowing your offensive players. This is a hockey 101 basic tactic. This is why your third/4th lines need size and speed and need to hit.

• 3rd lines are very important for 2 reasons. They add secondary scoring if your 1 or 2 is being shut down, they are the hybrid 2/4 line. They need to be able to hit but also score when needed. If you look at cup winning teams, all of them had big contibutions from their third line. Det - always, LA, Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, all had big impacts - ie Stalberg, Handzus, Thornton (Bos), Kelly, Campbell, Staal, Cooke Dupuis (pitts run), etc etc.

• Moreover, that third line takes alot of defensive draws, it plays a shutdown role that allows your second line to focus more on scoring. You have a good shutdown 3, then Kesler isn't forced to focus on just being the Selke winner. He then has more room to play offensively, which creates help for the Sedin's and then makes it tougher for the opposition to decide who to focus on. This then opens up more room for the Sedins, as they say, a 'virtuous circle'.

• Your suggestion that lines 3 and 4 mean nothing is absurd. They are VERY IMPORTANT factors in winning a cup as described above. If you'd played hockey you'd understand that value. And in fact our 3 / 4 are bigger issues than our 1/2. Sedins and Burr/Kes give us a decent 4 of 6. Our lack of a real shutdown 3c and real 4th line wingers has hurt this team. (and now a real 4c)

• So yes losing Torres, Glass, and Lappy does make a big difference

• A "team" is a team because it has roles. All those roles are interconnected. If players are forced to play multiple roles, the team breaks down and it becomes overbearing for certain players. ie Kelser forced to be mr. everything. It is interesting that Ryan Kesler's best year happened when we had a real 3rd and 4th line isn't it. It is interesting that the Sedin's best year happened when we had a real 3rd and 4th isn't it? It is interesting that we went to the stanley cup final when we had a real 3rd and 4th isn't it. It's not coincidence.

• Its very easy for oppositions when they aren't being hit / shut down by 3 and 4th lines to simply focus on the 1/2. If you are a 2 line team in the NHL you will not win. Anyone who understands hockey can see that through who has won.

Oh btw, Can you also please tell me why Stephen Gionta (5'7'' 180lbs) had more hits than Tom Sestito and Dale Weiss?

Thanks

Something needs to be done now, and I do mean NOW. The circus music has started and it's too loud for the ears. Mr. Aquillini, own up and realize this man is not up for the job and remove him as GM. Please hire an actual and competent GM with a track record you can't argue with. Call a press conference and hire Brian Burke. He will manage your hockey club and turn this team around. Don't go any further with MG. He has had his time to show what he can do and clearly... the club needs a new leader, visionary, culture and image. I would not be surprised if Luongo is merely waiting for MG to get fired before coming back to us. With Gillis gone and a new coach, it would feel like a new team to him and the source of all his resentments for how he was treated will have disappeared. Maybe then and only then will we see Luongo re-commit to Vancouver and play motivated. I am actually astonished how MG is still the GM and how stubborn and blind the Aquillini's are in maintaining him.

This is not a 'panic' the sky is falling post. If that is going to be your response, do not read it, move on and don't waste your time or anyone elses.

Snarky, stupid, infantile responses will just prove to everyone your lack of hockey knowledge and maturity. If you have a comment, a fair retort, please do give your views, this is mine. Please pay attention to what I have qualified/.bolded etc. Thank you.

How exactly do you evaluate a player, gm etc or any professional if you don't look at their track record sir.

Moreover, given your cherry picking example - again 'compartmentalizing' vs aggregating a TRACK RECORD.

Would you take a 4th line of

Torres Lappiere Glass over

Sestito, Richardson, Weiss

Which of those 2 is better suited to help us win a cup? please tell me?

And actually, if you watch or know about hockey, the 3rd and 4th lines are VERY KEY to winning a Stanley cup.

Let me explain why:

• Hitting. Physical play is key to wearing down defensive studs, like a Chara etc. We all saw what happened when a 4th liner (Bickell) was placed with Toews for the sole purpose of hitting Chara. By getting in on top of the oppositions best dmen, hitting them constantly, they tire out. By tiring out, they then have less energy to expend hitting and shadowing your offensive players. This is a hockey 101 basic tactic. This is why your third/4th lines need size and speed and need to hit.

• 3rd lines are very important for 2 reasons. They add secondary scoring if your 1 or 2 is being shut down, they are the hybrid 2/4 line. They need to be able to hit but also score when needed. If you look at cup winning teams, all of them had big contibutions from their third line. Det - always, LA, Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, all had big impacts - ie Stalberg, Handzus, Thornton (Bos), Kelly, Campbell, Staal, Cooke Dupuis (pitts run), etc etc.

• Moreover, that third line takes alot of defensive draws, it plays a shutdown role that allows your second line to focus more on scoring. You have a good shutdown 3, then Kesler isn't forced to focus on just being the Selke winner. He then has more room to play offensively, which creates help for the Sedin's and then makes it tougher for the opposition to decide who to focus on. This then opens up more room for the Sedins, as they say, a 'virtuous circle'.

• Your suggestion that lines 3 and 4 mean nothing is absurd. They are VERY IMPORTANT factors in winning a cup as described above. If you'd played hockey you'd understand that value. And in fact our 3 / 4 are bigger issues than our 1/2. Sedins and Burr/Kes give us a decent 4 of 6. Our lack of a real shutdown 3c and real 4th line wingers has hurt this team. (and now a real 4c)

• So yes losing Torres, Glass, and Lappy does make a big difference

• A "team" is a team because it has roles. All those roles are interconnected. If players are forced to play multiple roles, the team breaks down and it becomes overbearing for certain players. ie Kelser forced to be mr. everything. It is interesting that Ryan Kesler's best year happened when we had a real 3rd and 4th line isn't it. It is interesting that the Sedin's best year happened when we had a real 3rd and 4th isn't it? It is interesting that we went to the stanley cup final when we had a real 3rd and 4th isn't it. It's not coincidence.

• Its very easy for oppositions when they aren't being hit / shut down by 3 and 4th lines to simply focus on the 1/2. If you are a 2 line team in the NHL you will not win. Anyone who understands hockey can see that through who has won.

Oh btw, Can you also please tell me why Stephen Gionta (5'7'' 180lbs) had more hits than Tom Sestito and Dale Weiss?

Thanks

Archived