The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis is Destroying the Vancouver Canucks

In the Slot

I didn't read the whole thread, but I'd say time as much as Gillis has led to our slide.

Comparing us to the 2011 team is worth a laugh when we were the undisputed favorites to win it all - we had no place to go but down. In the cap era its very difficult to "get better" after a huge cup run - look at Chicago losing Byfuglien or Bolland after winning their cups or us losing Erhoff. Teams notice key pieces to the run and there just isn't enough cap space to repeat.

The key is to re-tool appropriately afterwards which I was very critical of Gillis when everyone else was jumping all over AV (who also needed to go.) In my 20/20 hindsight opinion - what's happening now (dealing a goalie, losing the coach, etc) needed to happen last off-season.

Additionally I maintain my stance on Gillis - this is the first true offseason where he ventures into a true "Gillis" team as opposed to what he mostly inherited from Nonis and Burke.

While the team might not have a better chance to win a cup this year than the 2011 group, the franchise feels like it is in better shape than it was the past 2 seasons.

I'll reserve judgement on Gillis until the end of the season.

Buddy she'll never admit that gillis is a horrible GM. She'll keep making excuses for him no matter what. She thinks everything the guy does is right. She's got her gillis blinders on. Her name should be 'DebluvsGillis'

The topic is Gillis, not Deb. And you're not qualified to make "she thinks" statements...only "she" can do that. So knock it off.

And maintaining the status quo of what was here before him IS a decision in itself.

In The Slot: your location leaves way for some suspicion as to your intentions and whether or not you're an actual fan of the team. With that, be careful with the insults, as it's becoming trolling.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I'd say time as much as Gillis has led to our slide.

Comparing us to the 2011 team is worth a laugh when we were the undisputed favorites to win it all - we had no place to go but down. In the cap era its very difficult to "get better" after a huge cup run - look at Chicago losing Byfuglien or Bolland after winning their cups or us losing Erhoff. Teams notice key pieces to the run and there just isn't enough cap space to repeat.

The key is to re-tool appropriately afterwards which I was very critical of Gillis when everyone else was jumping all over AV (who also needed to go.) In my 20/20 hindsight opinion - what's happening now (dealing a goalie, losing the coach, etc) needed to happen last off-season.

Additionally I maintain my stance on Gillis - this is the first true offseason where he ventures into a true "Gillis" team as opposed to what he mostly inherited from Nonis and Burke.

While the team might not have a better chance to win a cup this year than the 2011 group, the franchise feels like it is in better shape than it was the past 2 seasons.

I'll reserve judgement on Gillis until the end of the season.

Any GM can say that AFTER the trade is made. It was well known Schneider was available. Gillis wanted more from teams within the division, that's all.

I am not even saying I agree with Gillis on some of the moves he makes, but the "He is destroying the team" argument is insanity.

ok well lets wait and see where we end up this season and post...

I'll stand by my views. If this team doesn't change significantly between now and the season (ie we get a real second line winger, and a strong 3c), I predict we squeek into the playoffs (if that) and are out in the first round.

Will that be considered a successful season? I think not but that's my bet.

chicago was won 2 cups an retooled once and likely will challenge for it again next year in 4 years

boston has been to the finals twice in 3 years and won 1

i have to disagree with the bolded point, the facts aren't really in your favour there

Hey dude, I disagree with yout whole post. Its awful. And by the way do some research before you post about players you don't know. Stephen Gionta is Brian Giontas brother who plays for the New Jersey Devils and plays on the fourth line. He is very aggressive.

was offered Kadri and Bozak for Luongo, which was turned down (again another example of his stupidity).

Get ready for some really bad hockey folks.

MG has made a mockery out of this team, and is now rivaling John Ferguson as one of the worst GM's in hockey history.

Sure, one can argue its hindsight,

Giving up proven players for potential is never smart, that is adding risk.

MG is a blatant failure.

See, you only proven me correct and you are a complete arsehole. When you use the term "son" your credibility goes down the drain. Your sarcasm in the last sentence leads one to believe that you are simply trolling. This is the natural and expected reaction when no one agrees with you or your points. In this case, while you've provided endless 'facts', you've only accomplished to irritate most of the crowd.

Theoretically (if not technically) this entire thread should have been locked because you are simply beating issues to death that have hundreds of threads already. I think its well documented here (for those who've been a member for more than 7 days) that your 'opinion' on watered down topics hardly warrants a new thread (but you managed to get Debs back up a bit which may have played a role in why it isn't locked). Anyways, wishing you longevity on the CDC....even if you can't stand the team itself

Giving up proven players for potential is a mistake?

Yeah right. Boston made a HUGE mistake when they traded a good, proven player for Cam Neely.

Anyway, this thread's OP didn't offer anything new, did it? Just the same ol', same ol'. Truth is he got this team to the finals in pretty short order. What has happened after is pretty typical for a team that loses in the finals. They have to retool and restock, always.

Sure, there's going to be bumps in the road, but anyone who thinks the mvp/art ross Sedin heyday was going to continue forever is absolutely kidding theirselves.

'It's a process' and 'moving forward' might sound like lip service to you, but it's also the truth.

Now, think we can move the frack on, please?

The OP has done a good job of summarizing MG's mistakes. Frankly I would feel a lot better about MG if he would admit his mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. Why can't he just take responsibility for his mistakes. Torts was much more upfront about his mistakes.

Instead MG defending the Ballard trade long after it was obvious it was a disaster. And he should just admit he messed up the entire Luongo fiasco. Blaming the NHL and the new CBA is ridiculous. As if every other GM did not have the same uncertainties and as if the NHL was not pretty clear about where it was going.

A guy who won't admit his mistakes is unlikely to learn from them.

Archived