The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign Santorelli

Visp

With these signings at centre I think Shroeders future on this team is on the wing. His face off stats are not impressive and while he does have the awareness, he doesn't have the size in the defensive zone. At best he plays with a defense first winger to take that role.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($2.100m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Yannick Weber ($0.650m) / Yann Sauve ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,372,778; BONUSES: $162,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $89,722 (Assuming he gets paid 1 mill or less which I hope so)

I'd like to see one more move made. Now that St Louis has signed Roy - they have Backes, Roy, Berglund, Sobotka and Lappy up the middle - and they are in a bit of a cap crunch with Pietrangelo and Stewart to sign.

We should pluck Sobotka out of St Louis, an extremely solid faceoff guy (as in 56.+% the last two seasons with over 1000 draws) - he hits, chips in (can easily put up 30pts with linemates like Higgins and Hansen) and has strong underlying numbers.

Very affordable 1.3 cap hit. I'd give up a 3rd in a heartbeat for him.

The second line RW spot would be there for Kassian, Schroeder and Jensen to compete for. One of these guys will be a healthy scratch, as will one of our 4 depth centers. Sestito and Weise imo are demotions or on reserve for matchups with goons in their lineup.

I like the idea of a playmaking center like Schroeder on Kesler's wing, and a 'fourth' line with punch like Richardson, Santorelli and Kassian getting more than traditional fourth line minutes. Gaunce is game to compete for the 3C, 4C, or 4LW spots.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Vladimir Sobotka ($1.300m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Mike Santorelli ($0.550m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

.............................................Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.667m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

............................................Yannick Weber ($0.650m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

I know who he is.

He is a centre, had one good season with the Panthers (2010-11)and he's been a bum ever since. Booth anyone?

He has decent face off stats but considering he hardly scores points (apart from that one season) in the NHL, I would elevate him up there with Ebbett and the other hockey greats.

Oh and he makes putty look hard.

I'd like to see one more move made. Now that St Louis has signed Roy - they have Backes, Roy, Berglund, Sobotka and Lappy up the middle - and they are in a bit of a cap crunch with Pietrangelo and Stewart to sign.

We should pluck Sobotka out of St Louis, an extremely solid faceoff guy (as in 56.+% the last two seasons with over 1000 draws) - he hits, chips in (can easily put up 30pts with linemates like Higgins and Hansen) and has strong underlying numbers.

The second line RW spot would be there for Kassian, Schroeder and Jensen to compete for. One of these guys will be a healthy scratch, as will one of our 4 depth centers. Sestito and Weise imo are demotions or on reserve for matchups with goons in their lineup.

I like the idea of a playmaking center like Schroeder on Kesler's wing, and a 'fourth' line with punch like Richardson, Santorelli and Kassian getting more than traditional fourth line minutes. Gaunce is game to compete for the 3C, 4C, or 4LW spots.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Vladimir Sobotka ($1.300m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Mike Santorelli ($0.550m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.667m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Yannick Weber ($0.650m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

Yeah I would too, I think he is better than Boyd Gordon.

Faster, bigger hitter, brings alot of energy and grit, would love to see him & Hansen together. I think there is some offensiv upside there too, would be a great addition for the 3C spot.

I see most people have given up on Schroeder. I watched him play with US and he was very good. He did fine in my opinion last year for an undersized rookie. He does still need to get stronger and play harder with the big boys but he can move quick and I think he is more ready than Guance. I would like to see if the Sedins get split 5 on 5 and put together on the power play. Henrik played fine without Daniel maybe he is to busy trying to make plays to Daniel and needs to have new line mates. I think Daniel is a good playmaker too and this provides better forechecking and playmaking on all lines.

A. Burrows H. Sedin Z. Kassian

D. Sedin R. Kesler J. Hansen

C. Higgins M. Santorelli D. Booth

T. Sestito B. Richardson J. Schroeder

I see most people have given up on Schroeder. I watched him play with US and he was very good. He did fine in my opinion last year for an undersized rookie. He does still need to get stronger and play harder with the big boys but he can move quick and I think he is more ready than Guance. I would like to see if the Sedins get split 5 on 5 and put together on the power play. Henrik played fine without Daniel maybe he is to busy trying to make plays to Daniel and needs to have new line mates. I think Daniel is a good playmaker too and this provides better forechecking and playmaking on all lines.

A. Burrows H. Sedin Z. Kassian

D. Sedin R. Kesler J. Hansen

C. Higgins M. Santorelli D. Booth

T. Sestito B. Richardson J. Schroeder

Is that right? I'm curious what your sources are lol.

Anyhow, feel free to show me what else gives up front for St Louis. Reality is they need a little cap space. I highly doubt that is going to come from Perron, Steen, Berglund, Tarasenko, Schwartz. Perhaps Leopold could be sacrificed. In any event, I'd be finding out what it would take, as we speak.

I like Schroeder and think he looked very good last year, and most importantly was able to handle the defensive responsibility of his role - I think the much maligned Canucks system did a good job of developing his two way game.

Schroeder looked exceptionally good last year when he was playing with Raymond on his left and Hansen on his right - that line has some excellent chemistry, and those two guys supply good support on the defensive side of the game. Higgins and Hansen - ditto. I'm looking forward to seeing Schroeder this year - I think his shoulder injuries last season forced him out of the picture late in the season, and forced MG's hand in going out and acquiring Roy.

Aside from his speed, two way responsibility, and creative scoring abilities, he's also stronger than his frame would suggest - he was notably bullish on the boards, and compact enough that he's not easy to move off the puck. I think he'll actually make a better third line center than Hodgson did, or a good RW for Kesler on the 2nd line.

He's put up 20 before, and just like Chris Higgins we may be able to resurrect his career, so good cheap signing hopefully.

Santorelli > Ebbett

Richardson = Lapierre

Our bottom-6 center depth just got better this offseason, believe it or not. Not by a lot, but it was our 2nd biggest concern going into the offseason and MG has addressed it cheaply. Throw Horvat/Gaunce/Lain into the mix and we're much better off than last season.

Archived