The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan O' Byrne

Lipschitz

Mike Gillis has been fairly quiet on the trade and signing front in comparison to other GM's around the league. While it is the best strategy not to overpay for players, such as Clarkson (grossly overrated), I believe that the Canucks should look at signing Ryan O' Byrne.

He is the defenseman this team needs at this juncture. He is huge, shoots right, and is a monster of a shutdown defenseman. His lack of consistency is no worse than Edlers. And yes, Edler has a huge amount of offensive potential. But O' Byrne is willing to lay out the likes of Chara

His cap hit is around $2 M, but could be negotiated based on a couple of lackluster seasons. As much as I like Tanev's passing ability, he has very little physical presence. And that is what this defense needs to go deep into the playoffs. Punishing players that enter our zone.

I hope that Gillis looks long and hard at O' Byrne. The Canucks need to play a much more gritty defensive style. Adding someone with his size, fearlessness, and grit would be perfect when playing teams like Boston, St. Louis, and LA.

Thoughts?

Lipschitz out.

Hopefully there is cap space. Having a physical, right-handed defenseman at 6'5" and 234 lbs would make up for losing Alberts. O' Byrne is far more of an imposing figure

I mean, he took a skate to the cheek and still finished his shift! That is what the Canucks need:

This guy is a monster

Patrick Marleau gets creamed

Daniel Paille gets introduced to the Habs bench

And yes he has scored on his own goal in Montreal.

Still he would be a great addition making the blue line much harder to get through

signing tanev, weise and leaving money for a young guy to make the team will probably use up all our cap space...

the team will have to do the best they can with what they have.....it may not be pretty

by now canuck fans honestly stop keeping hope in Gm gillis

this guy wont do anything look at the joker moves he made so far

lol unknown names even the 4th line guys could of got a solid guy like boyd gordon but did he?

nope i have lost hope in gillis you guys are dreaming

by now canuck fans honestly stop keeping hope in Gm gillis

this guy wont do anything look at the joker moves he made so far

lol unknown names even the 4th line guys could of got a solid guy like boyd gordon but did he?

nope i have lost hope in gillis you guys are dreaming

Gordon would of been good, but no that is too expensive... What about Steckel? He's a lot better than Santorelli, how come MG hasn't tried to pursue him? We could probably get him for 1 mil a season, just a lil more than Santorelli is probably getting and he's better on faceoffs and has bigger size. (6'6") Not saying he's a tough guy but at least he's ready to play and has some skill sets. Richardson and Steckel, I would of been satisfied with that.

Richardson and Santorelli on the other hand.. I'm absolutely not satisfied with that! What we really need is a top 6 forward, forget this depth crap! We could of just filled those depth roles with prospects, high calibre players don't just come along every day- they're game changers and they are almost all gone now! Another year down the drain, maybe? It sure seems like it. :picard:

You're contradicting yourself. First you correctly realize we couldn't afford Gordon at a $3M cap hit, but then blast Gillis for not going after a top 6 game changer. Who would you have liked Gillis to go after? Clarkson, Horton, Ribeiro and Alfredsson all signed for north of $5M in cap hit, while Clowe and Weiss signed for just under that. We couldn't afford that either.

As far as Steckel, he's still a good faceoff man, but hasn't been as good outside of that and is falling off as an overall player.

But back to O'Byrne, I'm not sure he would have signed for an amount that would be helpful to us. He was exposed as maybe not as good after moving to Toronto and for $1.8M that's a little too much for us as a depth guy. I don't know that he wants to take much less than that, although he may be forced to as the summer goes on and he stays unsigned.

^^^ lol way to weather the storm fairweather

How am I contradicting myself, Gordon is not a top 6 player. Gordon is a 3rd line center, not worth 3 mil a season. Which is why we didn't get him, I want a top 6 forward for around the same price- perhaps a little more expensive, up to 4 mil. We could of afforded Gordon at 3 mil, we have 5,697,222 in cap space. (According to capgeek.com) Probably less now that buddy signed Santorelli, then we re-sign Tanev for a little over a mil and that should leave us with around 3.5 mil. If we didn't sign Santorelli we probably could have got a top six forward like Dustin Penner, Brad Boyes, someone who will actually do something on the ice. We still can, but instead Gillis will waste our time signing all these crappy depth players that will do absolutely nothing for us but allow the other team to score goals on us. :rolleyes:

EDIT: And while we're on the subject, Steckel is one of those "crappy" depth players, but at least he's better than Santorelli. He can win some faceoffs for us and kill some penalties, MG is ruining this team. I used to defend him, but I'm sick of this damn guy.. If he does nothing again (Which is what he seems to be good at) I'll be one of those annoying a** Fire MG guys, I hate those guys... But I completely understand now. We need a new GM, bottom line buds.

Archived