43 replies to this topic

#1 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

We all know that the Canucks are going to look hard at a youth movement this upcoming season. Gillis has gone on record of saying that this team NEEDS to get younger in the new CBA and youth needs to be inserted within the line up.

One of those spots he's left open for competiton is clearly the 3rd line centre position barring any trade or signing.

So it all comes down to these 3, lets have a good discussion on the pro's and con's of each of them. Everyone giving their opinions on why and who should fill that roster spot.

Jordan Schroeder

Pros
- excellent skater ( by far the best of the 3) in terms of speed, agility and explosiveness
- the most experience at the professional level, already has tons of AHL experience and has had a taste of the NHL
-Has the best playmaking abilities of the 3 (this one could be debatable because of limited viewings of the other)

Cons
-Size is a concern
-board and corner work
-Strength

Brendan Gaunce

Bo Horvat

Because of very limited viewings of the other prospects I feel it's unfair for me to list their pros and cons. Was hoping people in here could help discuss and add the insight for others wanting to compare the 3.

Posted Image

#2 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

NONE OF THESE 3 WILL BE THE 3C

Did you miss free agency day?
Posted Image

#3 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Most are having a hard on for the flavor of the month

Proven skill>Potential.
Kesler,Burrows and Bieska, all did time in the AHL.

#4 Hodgson!!

Hodgson!!

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Strength isn't a con for Schroeder =P
Posted Image

Signature Made by Vintage Canuck

#5 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

I feel that Brad Richardson will also be given the chance to compete for that spot. However, out of the three, I just don't see Horvat making it this year. Schroeder is the most NHL ready out of the three in terms of experience, but Gaunce fits the 3C position the best.

All in all, it's gonna be a wide open competition between the four of them.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#6 Bale

Bale

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Is it wrong to want Horvat to play one more year for the Knights so I can watch Him play in the World Junior Champs and Memorial Cup?

#7 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

POPULAR

If I was in charge of development...

Horvat is going back to the OHL.

Gaunce gets 9 games at the beginning of the year, then back to the OHL. A taste of the NHL might be what is needed to get him to break out during the OHL regular season and increase his ceiling. I also want to see him in the WJC.

Schroeder gets the 3C if we have nobody after 20 or so games.

Edited by Newsflash, 07 July 2013 - 12:34 PM.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#8 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Is it wrong to want Horvat to play one more year for the Knights so I can watch Him play in the World Junior Champs and Memorial Cup?

Definitely not. He's going to be leaned on in high pressure moments and get more playing time (not to mention more games played) if he stays down. That'll be great for his development and won't force us to use a year of his ELC with him playing in a comparatively small role to what he potentially could fill next year and the years following.
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#9 Kooner91

Kooner91

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Is Gaunce allowed to play in Utica next season? or does he have to wait another year? A year in the AHL could do great things for him, playing on a line with Jensen.

I think Bo needs 1 more season in junior, just to polish his game up as a whole. Can't see Richardson as our 3rd line center to start, think that spot will be Schroeder's at the start of the year.

I think Santorelli is the underdog going in for our 3rd line center position.

Edited by Kooner91, 07 July 2013 - 12:47 PM.

Posted Image
Markus Naslund- Forever A Canuck

#10 WindChaser

WindChaser

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

can't say about the Gaunce and Horvat because i haven't seen them in NHL action... both of them ripped it up in OHL playoffs but no idea if they can translate that into NHL success...

but in my perfect world, you can even call it dreamland if you want... I'd like to see Schroeder take over the 2RW spot while Gaunce makes it for 3C.. then our line up can look something like

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Burrows Kesler Schroeder
Higgins Gaunce Hansen
Booth Santorelli Richardson
Sestito Weise (extra forwards)
with Jensen and possibly Shinkaruk as call-ups

WHAT BOOTH ON 4TH LINE??? yes that's right, this is mainly because Santorelli's one 20/20 season has Booth on his wing and I'd like to see them back together.. if they can rediscover that chemistry then there's nothing wrong with that 4th line... and between Richardson and Santorelli, Santorelli seems to be the better face off man while Richardson can play either wing.... in fact we can call our bottom 6.. 3A and 3B line and which one is more effective in game, we'll use that line more

cant wait to see these kids in action!!

#11 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

I'd like to see Horvat get another year in the OHL, but if Gaunce proves he's ready, and JS can play the wing, this is what I'd like to see

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian (was great at the beginning of last year, I'd like to see it again)
Booth-Kesler-Schroeder (two strong shooters to compliment Schroeder's passing)
Higgins-Gaunce-Burrows (great shutdown line that can play anywhere)
Sestito/Weise/Santorelli-Richardson-Hansen (Sestito for tough teams, Santorelli for the skill teams, Weise if you need a mix)

zuhwS.gif

#12 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

IMO it's looking more and more likely that Schroeder will be traded at some point. Even Jason Botchford thinks so according to some of his Twitter discussions.

#13 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,340 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

As someone else already said, Strength isn't a Con for Schroeder.

I would send Gaunce & Horvat back & let Schroeder have the stop since he has the experience & (IMO) is poised to breakout a bit.

zackass.png

#14 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,874 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Out of those 3, I would pick Gaunce.

307mg00.jpg

#15 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,335 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

Schroeder will either be feeding pucks to Kes and Booth, Kas or Bur if he REALLY excels or he'll get the 3C spot between Higgins or Booth and Hansen (maybe Kassian if he can't stick in the top 6).

If he's not what the Canucks are looking for their he'll get managed time/zone play like Hodgson and get his value boosted for a trade later this year/next summer. Either that or he makes the jump and shows he belongs.

Failure is not an option :lol:

I honestly don't think he goes to Utica. It's put up or shut up time.

As for Gaunce, I doubt he's ready...I'd give him more time in the O. That said if he IS ready...well yeehaw! :towel:

Edited by J.R., 08 July 2013 - 03:32 PM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

Schroeder has done his time in the AHL. Let Gaunce and Horvat get a taste of playing with men before they join the big club, it's not like its going to hurt their development. That being said, if Schroeder adjusts to a wing I'd have to argument with one of the other taking the spot.

But I still feel the Schroeder has more to show us before we consider him a bust.

#17 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Schroeder has done his time in the AHL. Let Gaunce and Horvat get a taste of playing with men before they join the big club, it's not like its going to hurt their development. That being said, if Schroeder adjusts to a wing I'd have to argument with one of the other taking the spot.

But I still feel the Schroeder has more to show us before we consider him a bust.

he won't be a bust. in the end he may not have a spot with this roster, but he will be successful somewhere.

#18 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,290 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

I have a feeling that both Horvat and Gaunce are going to need another year (or two, in Horvat's case) before the really make a push for the NHL club. After what was said in Richardson's interview after he signed here, I think that the club plans to let him and Schroeder battle it out with a little bit of long shot competition from Horvat and Gaunce.

FWYIerW.png

#19 #1Luongo06

#1Luongo06

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:53 AM

Give Schroeder the year and if he can't produce in softer minutes then he needs to be traded.

#20 Henrik Kesler

Henrik Kesler

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

I think Schroeder starts the season as the 3C.  He isn't the ideal center for that spot, but neither are Gaunce and Horvat.  Gaunce and Horvat may be better built for the role, but I think asking a 19 year old or an 18 year old to play the opponents best offensive players to a draw a majority of nights is asking a bit much.  With Schroeder at 3C, Kesler will be called on to play a bit more defense which should be fine since the 3rd line of Booth-Schroeder-Hansen could be pretty dangerous offensively.

Hopefully he is using the forced rest on his upper body to work on building up his legs so he can be even stronger on his skates.

Edited by Henrik Kesler, 09 July 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#21 sroutley

sroutley

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:02 AM

I see Gilles being a little worried about trading another young player like he did with Grabner and Hodgson. I see Schroeder getting his chance. Lets hope he can perform.

#22 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

I think Schroeder starts the season as the 3C.  He isn't the ideal center for that spot, but neither are Gaunce and Horvat.  Gaunce and Horvat may be better built for the role, but I think asking a 19 year old or an 18 year old to play the opponents best offensive players to a draw a majority of nights is asking a bit much.  With Schroeder at 3C, Kesler will be called on to play a bit more defense which should be fine since the 3rd line of Booth-Schroeder-Hansen could be pretty dangerous offensively.

Hopefully he is using the forced rest on his upper body to work on building up his legs so he can be even stronger on his skates.

This.
I wouldn't mind seeing Gaunce in a role in our bottom 6 if he shows well at camp.
Horvat on the other hand I feel strongly needs to go back to London and take his offensive game to the next level.

#23 VegasCanuck

VegasCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

I think they look hard at Gaunce for 3C and that he will be here right till the last day of camp. Not going to say its his to lose, but I think they will give him every opportunity to win it right up to end of camp.

I think Schroeder they will try moving to the wing to see how he works there, probably the left side. I could easily see him traded to a team needing a young skilled center in exchange for a similar (maybe slightly bigger) left winger.

#24 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 16,335 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

I think they look hard at Gaunce for 3C and that he will be here right till the last day of camp. Not going to say its his to lose, but I think they will give him every opportunity to win it right up to end of camp.

I think Schroeder they will try moving to the wing to see how he works there, probably the left side. I could easily see him traded to a team needing a young skilled center in exchange for a similar (maybe slightly bigger) left winger.

I still think Schroeder sticks a C and Kes moves to the wing with Kesler taking the draws in that scenario.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

I still think Schroeder sticks a C and Kes moves to the wing with Kesler taking the draws in that scenario.

i think that would be best for schroeder's production, but i'm not convinced kesler enjoyed playing on the wing with roy. granted kes would take the D-zone draws, but i think he prefers to have a defined role as the pivot on his line.

#26 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 16,335 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

i think that would be best for schroeder's production, but i'm not convinced kesler enjoyed playing on the wing with roy. granted kes would take the D-zone draws, but i think he prefers to have a defined role as the pivot on his line.

He seemed to do pretty good playing with Sundin and Demitra...
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Like many teams in Vcr the first foward back takes the role of centre. They interchange.

The next point Schroeder agent has started talking contract and i read that his top priority will be a one way contract, so a lot of this may become academic.

#28 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

He seemed to do pretty good playing with Sundin and Demitra...

yeah he did, but he was younger then and was yielding his spot to a mats sundin, not roy/schroeder. plus when he was moved this year i didn't get the sense that he was really ok with it.

#29 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 16,335 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

yeah he did, but he was younger then and was yielding his spot to a mats sundin, not roy/schroeder. plus when he was moved this year i didn't get the sense that he was really ok with it.

Well as long as you got a sense...
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

Well as long as you got a sense...

the whole point of this is to discuss opinions. and that is mine based on what i saw when asked about being moved to wing, as opposed to the generic response he would give. feel free to flame away, but i'm of the mind that our selke winning center wants to stay in the middle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.