The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schroeder vs Guance vs Horvat- Battle for the 3 C Pos

We all know that the Canucks are going to look hard at a youth movement this upcoming season. Gillis has gone on record of saying that this team NEEDS to get younger in the new CBA and youth needs to be inserted within the line up.

One of those spots he's left open for competiton is clearly the 3rd line centre position barring any trade or signing.

So it all comes down to these 3, lets have a good discussion on the pro's and con's of each of them. Everyone giving their opinions on why and who should fill that roster spot.

Jordan Schroeder

Pros

- excellent skater ( by far the best of the 3) in terms of speed, agility and explosiveness

- the most experience at the professional level, already has tons of AHL experience and has had a taste of the NHL

-Has the best playmaking abilities of the 3 (this one could be debatable because of limited viewings of the other)

Cons

-Size is a concern

-board and corner work

-Strength

Brendan Gaunce

Bo Horvat

Because of very limited viewings of the other prospects I feel it's unfair for me to list their pros and cons. Was hoping people in here could help discuss and add the insight for others wanting to compare the 3.

I feel that Brad Richardson will also be given the chance to compete for that spot. However, out of the three, I just don't see Horvat making it this year. Schroeder is the most NHL ready out of the three in terms of experience, but Gaunce fits the 3C position the best.

All in all, it's gonna be a wide open competition between the four of them.

If I was in charge of development...

Horvat is going back to the OHL.

Gaunce gets 9 games at the beginning of the year, then back to the OHL. A taste of the NHL might be what is needed to get him to break out during the OHL regular season and increase his ceiling. I also want to see him in the WJC.

Schroeder gets the 3C if we have nobody after 20 or so games.

Is Gaunce allowed to play in Utica next season? or does he have to wait another year? A year in the AHL could do great things for him, playing on a line with Jensen.

I think Bo needs 1 more season in junior, just to polish his game up as a whole. Can't see Richardson as our 3rd line center to start, think that spot will be Schroeder's at the start of the year.

I think Santorelli is the underdog going in for our 3rd line center position.

can't say about the Gaunce and Horvat because i haven't seen them in NHL action... both of them ripped it up in OHL playoffs but no idea if they can translate that into NHL success...

but in my perfect world, you can even call it dreamland if you want... I'd like to see Schroeder take over the 2RW spot while Gaunce makes it for 3C.. then our line up can look something like

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Kesler Schroeder

Higgins Gaunce Hansen

Booth Santorelli Richardson

Sestito Weise (extra forwards)

with Jensen and possibly Shinkaruk as call-ups

WHAT BOOTH ON 4TH LINE??? yes that's right, this is mainly because Santorelli's one 20/20 season has Booth on his wing and I'd like to see them back together.. if they can rediscover that chemistry then there's nothing wrong with that 4th line... and between Richardson and Santorelli, Santorelli seems to be the better face off man while Richardson can play either wing.... in fact we can call our bottom 6.. 3A and 3B line and which one is more effective in game, we'll use that line more

cant wait to see these kids in action!!

I'd like to see Horvat get another year in the OHL, but if Gaunce proves he's ready, and JS can play the wing, this is what I'd like to see

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian (was great at the beginning of last year, I'd like to see it again)

Booth-Kesler-Schroeder (two strong shooters to compliment Schroeder's passing)

Higgins-Gaunce-Burrows (great shutdown line that can play anywhere)

Sestito/Weise/Santorelli-Richardson-Hansen (Sestito for tough teams, Santorelli for the skill teams, Weise if you need a mix)

Schroeder will either be feeding pucks to Kes and Booth, Kas or Bur if he REALLY excels or he'll get the 3C spot between Higgins or Booth and Hansen (maybe Kassian if he can't stick in the top 6).

If he's not what the Canucks are looking for their he'll get managed time/zone play like Hodgson and get his value boosted for a trade later this year/next summer. Either that or he makes the jump and shows he belongs.

Failure is not an option :lol:

I honestly don't think he goes to Utica. It's put up or shut up time.

As for Gaunce, I doubt he's ready...I'd give him more time in the O. That said if he IS ready...well yeehaw! :towel:

Schroeder has done his time in the AHL. Let Gaunce and Horvat get a taste of playing with men before they join the big club, it's not like its going to hurt their development. That being said, if Schroeder adjusts to a wing I'd have to argument with one of the other taking the spot.

But I still feel the Schroeder has more to show us before we consider him a bust.

Schroeder has done his time in the AHL. Let Gaunce and Horvat get a taste of playing with men before they join the big club, it's not like its going to hurt their development. That being said, if Schroeder adjusts to a wing I'd have to argument with one of the other taking the spot.

But I still feel the Schroeder has more to show us before we consider him a bust.

I have a feeling that both Horvat and Gaunce are going to need another year (or two, in Horvat's case) before the really make a push for the NHL club. After what was said in Richardson's interview after he signed here, I think that the club plans to let him and Schroeder battle it out with a little bit of long shot competition from Horvat and Gaunce.

I think Schroeder starts the season as the 3C.  He isn't the ideal center for that spot, but neither are Gaunce and Horvat.  Gaunce and Horvat may be better built for the role, but I think asking a 19 year old or an 18 year old to play the opponents best offensive players to a draw a majority of nights is asking a bit much.  With Schroeder at 3C, Kesler will be called on to play a bit more defense which should be fine since the 3rd line of Booth-Schroeder-Hansen could be pretty dangerous offensively.

Hopefully he is using the forced rest on his upper body to work on building up his legs so he can be even stronger on his skates.

Archived