The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schroeder vs Guance vs Horvat- Battle for the 3 C Pos

I think Schroeder starts the season as the 3C. He isn't the ideal center for that spot, but neither are Gaunce and Horvat. Gaunce and Horvat may be better built for the role, but I think asking a 19 year old or an 18 year old to play the opponents best offensive players to a draw a majority of nights is asking a bit much. With Schroeder at 3C, Kesler will be called on to play a bit more defense which should be fine since the 3rd line of Booth-Schroeder-Hansen could be pretty dangerous offensively.

Hopefully he is using the forced rest on his upper body to work on building up his legs so he can be even stronger on his skates.

I think they look hard at Gaunce for 3C and that he will be here right till the last day of camp. Not going to say its his to lose, but I think they will give him every opportunity to win it right up to end of camp.

I think Schroeder they will try moving to the wing to see how he works there, probably the left side. I could easily see him traded to a team needing a young skilled center in exchange for a similar (maybe slightly bigger) left winger.

I think they look hard at Gaunce for 3C and that he will be here right till the last day of camp. Not going to say its his to lose, but I think they will give him every opportunity to win it right up to end of camp.

I think Schroeder they will try moving to the wing to see how he works there, probably the left side. I could easily see him traded to a team needing a young skilled center in exchange for a similar (maybe slightly bigger) left winger.

i think that would be best for schroeder's production, but i'm not convinced kesler enjoyed playing on the wing with roy. granted kes would take the D-zone draws, but i think he prefers to have a defined role as the pivot on his line.

Like many teams in Vcr the first foward back takes the role of centre. They interchange.

The next point Schroeder agent has started talking contract and i read that his top priority will be a one way contract, so a lot of this may become academic.

the whole point of this is to discuss opinions. and that is mine based on what i saw when asked about being moved to wing, as opposed to the generic response he would give. feel free to flame away, but i'm of the mind that our selke winning center wants to stay in the middle.

I think our selke winning centre wants to WIN. If that's best accomplished having Schroeder dish him and Bur/Booth pucks and still taking faceoffs he'll be just fine. If it's not, then Schroeder doesn't belong there anyway.

I want Kesler to stay at center. That's his position and he's one of the best in the league at it. A big part of his role as our 2nd center is shutting down opposing scoring lines, and that's best achieved playing 200-feet, in the middle of the ice, not on the boards. When it comes to the powerplay, Kes can jump on the wing or on the point to unleash his wicked shot. When it comes to even strength, I want to see #17 right in the middle of the action at both ends of the ice.

It will be interesting to see what deal Schroeder signs with us; mostly if it's a one-way, and where he fits in come training camp. He showed last year he has the ability to play in the NHL; he just needs to get stronger, more confident, and more consistent. Hopefully his off-season surgery doesn't interfere with his development too much. If it doesn't, I would expect to see him as our #3 centre when the season opens.

Gaunce vs. Horvat - I think Gaunce does a lot of things really well, but in a more quiet fashion. I like that about him. Horvat also does a lot of things really well, but in a more flashy way. I like that as well. These two could be our future down the middle, but I'm not sure either will be a #1. At the end of the day, I would like to see both of them back in the OHL next year for further development and hopefully spots on Team Canada.

I want Kesler to stay at center. That's his position and he's one of the best in the league at it. A big part of his role as our 2nd center is shutting down opposing scoring lines, and that's best achieved playing 200-feet, in the middle of the ice, not on the boards. When it comes to the powerplay, Kes can jump on the wing or on the point to unleash his wicked shot. When it comes to even strength, I want to see #17 right in the middle of the action at both ends of the ice.

It will be interesting to see what deal Schroeder signs with us; mostly if it's a one-way, and where he fits in come training camp. He showed last year he has the ability to play in the NHL; he just needs to get stronger, more confident, and more consistent. Hopefully his off-season surgery doesn't interfere with his development too much. If it doesn't, I would expect to see him as our #3 centre when the season opens.

Gaunce vs. Horvat - I think Gaunce does a lot of things really well, but in a more quiet fashion. I like that about him. Horvat also does a lot of things really well, but in a more flashy way. I like that as well. These two could be our future down the middle, but I'm not sure either will be a #1. At the end of the day, I would like to see both of them back in the OHL next year for further development and hopefully spots on Team Canada.

I believe Schroeder doesn't have much time left in this organization. In the past few years we have drafted many centers and I just don't see him sticking with these young players coming up. I have also heard nothing about contract talks between him and the canucks. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The organization is probably working hard to get Tanev's contract set. As far as forwards go if the team is looking to sign Weise before they are looking to sign you then you should get a hint that a change might be on the way. The way I see forward lines next year:

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Burrows

Higgins Gaunce Jensen (They have already started to build chemistry by placing them on the same team in prospects camp.)

Richardson Santorelli Hansen

Gaunce will be a 9 game experiment. If he doesn’t perform well enough he would be sent back down and Richardson would slot in to the third while sestito goes to the fourth. Might even see mallet on over sestito who knows…. I know mallet impressed me.

Archived