The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was letting Raymond walk a mistake?

мeтpо

Raymond is simply better. Higgins gets the nod in PK and checking, but that's really it. MayRay has the superior passing, shot and overall offense.

Higgins lacks finish, he misses the net, doesn't do well when plugged into the 2nd line and gets owned in the post season. Higgy has easily been our worst forward in the last 2 playoffs. At least Raymond scores a lil.

I'll never understand the antipathy towards Mason Raymond that is constantly displayed by so many fans here on this forum. He's a decent player when he's not suffering the aftereffects of a possible career-ending back injury. Remember Johnny Boychuck slamming him onto the ice in the Final anyone? Anyone? But the guy can't get a break. Some of you fans really disappoint me.

1: He was the fastest player on the Canucks - Really???

2: He was great in the locker room and community - I'm sure you have no clue about anything that goes on in the locker room, and while community work has it's place it sure the hell isn't a reason to re-sign the guy

3: I still felt he had untapped potential. - As what?

4: He was one of the better goal scorers on the Canucks. When he was on his game, he was unstoppable. - What was "his game"? Pincochle? You lose all credibility with this statement.

I

I think so.

1: He was the fastest player on the Canucks

2: He was great in the locker room and community

3: I still felt he had untapped potential.

4: He was one of the better goal scorers on the Canucks. When he was on his game, he was unstoppable.

I think he made fair money for what he brought to the team and you could probably sign him right now even cheaper than what he made before... Why is he not being given another chance? Great value player as the Canucks are pretty tight up against the cap. He'll bring more than a lot of the guys getting overpaid in free agency.

I'd like to see Raymond back.

Thoughts?

I'll never understand the antipathy towards Mason Raymond that is constantly displayed by so many fans here on this forum. He's a decent player when he's not suffering the aftereffects of a possible career-ending back injury. Remember Johnny Boychuck slamming him onto the ice in the Final anyone? Anyone? But the guy can't get a break. Some of you fans really disappoint me.

I like both Raymond and Higgins but I can't understand how anyone can think Raymond brings more to the table than Higgins. For the record: anyone who has watched Higgins tenure in Vancouver can see what he brings every night. Yes he plays hard, plays physical and has solid chemistry with Hansen. But IMO, the most important quality Higgins has is his ability to win puck battles. To me, that alone is worth 2.5 million a season. Raymond, for all of his qualities, didn't win enough battles. I like his offense and intelligence, but our team needs players who can win battles (last season I would say Higgins was the best Canuck in this regard, even better than either Sedin or Kesler). Hope Raymond finds a team that can use his talents wisely.

I'll assume this comment in reference to Higgins. In a "what have you done lately world", which the NHL is, what he did three playoffs ago doesn't exactly wipe out the bupkus he's produced in the past two playoffs. I'd take the guy falling and producing over the guy standing and doing nothing.

Yet Higgins signed a four year contract, and Raymond hasnt been signed by anyone...Hmm, I wonder what type of player teams are looking for?? I also believe that Higgins scored the same amount of goals with fewer points (5) in fewer games played than Raymond...he can play on any line you put him on (other than the first I guess) 2nd, 3rd, 4th line...Raymond is so limited you cant put him on the second line or the 4th line...he doesnt have the size or physicality that Higgins does. Higgins is a pretty dang good passer too..Your buddy MayRay can skate like the wind but he cant stay on his feet, he would carry the puck 10 feet, and fall and so many missed scoring opportunities happened because he couldnt stay on his feet. I dont know you can say he has superior passing cuz he rarely passed it!! He was like Kesler lol

I know hes a great guy, but great guys dont always make great hockey players

Nah, the Canucks need to change up their makeup. And Gillis being the conservative GM that he is will only slowly do it. Raymond needs to go.

His play in the playoffs was laughable, he got ate up when he was trying to forecheck and looked like a rookie. His defense has been very overrated too, he looks like he backchecks but does nothing to dictate the forwards on other teams. He'll snipe a goal or two here or there but all in all is too soft and will eat up too much cap for what he brings in this cap crunch year.

Archived