The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was letting Raymond walk a mistake?

мeтpо

I think so.

1: He was the fastest player on the Canucks

2: He was great in the locker room and community

3: I still felt he had untapped potential.

4: He was one of the better goal scorers on the Canucks. When he was on his game, he was unstoppable.

I think he made fair money for what he brought to the team and you could probably sign him right now even cheaper than what he made before... Why is he not being given another chance? Great value player as the Canucks are pretty tight up against the cap. He'll bring more than a lot of the guys getting overpaid in free agency.

I'd like to see Raymond back.

Thoughts?

no. he had run his course, he is WAY to soft and has no balance on his skates due to his skating style. Until he corrects his balance issues (which i doubt he ever will) he wont be an effective player and will always play on the perimeter.

Raymond is the complete opposite of a player Torts likes to use. He doesn't block shots, he can't hit, he's soft and he's a perimeter player.

I think the rangers should pick him up and AV will put him in the top 6 over better players.

Nah time to move on. We needed changes and I take Higgins and Hansen over him 60% of the time, all the time. They bring the gritty intangibles every single night. That outweighs mason being "unstoppable" 3 times a year.

If I'm handing out 4 year contracts, I feel a lot better giving them to those 2 over mason.

He's a good player and I wish him well but change is needed and losing him hurts us less.

Raymond was fast, but fell down if you looked at him crossways, and like the rest of the Canucks, completely disappeared in the playoffs. He may have had a chance of staying if his peripheral vision was good enough to spot open players. He very seldom made a good pass, he just skated in circles until someone or the boards knocked him off the puck.

Clowe wasn't performing and the sharks were struggling. The trade actually helped San Jose. We didn't have anything to replace Raymond with nor would we have gotten any significant return. Raymond outperformed Clowe this past season but Clowe has a better history of production plus plays a physical game. He had become surplus in San Jose. Raymond was our fifth best producer among forwards. You don't trade that for picks heading into the playoffs.

I'm completely fine with us letting Raymond go - but I also wouldn't be surprised if he put up 20 goals if he signs in the east. I think a change of scenery will be good for him and this makes room in the top-6 for us to try and develop some people.

Archived