The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks, Olympics, Age, Travel = Players should Pass

In the Slot

I kinda agree with the OP for my own selfish reasons. If they were being held in NA, I would probably have a different opinion though. I'd much rather our vets take that time to relax and be with their families. But if they want to go and represent their countries, than I really can't have a problem with that.

I'd like to see them take the time off if we get the rest in a condensed season while other teams players are using all their energy on the other side of the world it will give us an advantage. I believe the players have to make a decision of what's most important winning a cup or winning a medal, although neither are guaranteed whether they go or not, If they do go to Russia I won't be upset with their decision because understandably you want to play for your country but if I was GMMG or Torts I would definitely mention passing on the olympics, not necessarily banning the players from the olympics.

Pretty selfish. This is a rare opportunity and they should do it if it makes them happy. Who knows, maybe it'll even fire them up. Maybe it'll give them that winning feeling again and bring back their passion for the sport.

For sure we'll see Canucks players at the Olympics. The twins will be there for sure, Edler is a good candidate, Hansen is there for sure. Luongo will be there, I don't see Canada sending 3 "rookie" at the Olympic hockey tournament. If one of our canadian players receive a call, for sure he'll be there, there is so much talent, it's probably the only chance you'll have. For Kesler it's different, he have been injured a lot in the previous years, so in my mind he's probably the only players who could want to stay at home and rest for 2 weeks.

You seem the Olympic Tournament like it could only be bad for our team, I think it can help us for another Stanley Cup run. How, since the 2011 Stanley Cup playoffs, some people here think our players lost their passions of hockey, usually that kind of tournament is full of emotion and we could see a different team in Vancouver, at team with more passion, a team that want to win, like in 2011, not the team we saw the previous 2 seasons where winning seem to be business as usual.

you don't pass up a chance to represent your country in the olympics...DUH

travel will not be an issue with the nhl's re-alignment, olympic hockey is not as rough as the nhl and with the bigger ice surface, its not quite as fast, so the players get more of a cardio work out. the unity and excitement of playing in the olympics will be brought into the nhl dressing rooms after the O games and players will bond over the experience...win or lose. its good for our guys, its good for hockey and us fans will reap the rewards!

GO FOR SOCHI!!!

While I am all for NHL players in the Olympics, this year (2014) from a Canucks fan's perspective, I am hoping (and am sure it won't be the case), that our players would pass on playing in Sochi.

Why?

Simple --> the title above.

• Our window is closing, we all know that, the team knows that. The Sedin's are aging, and slowing, Kesler is injured 1/2 the season with regularity, Lou is 34.

• The amount of travel the Nucks do is the most in the NHL, we all know that

• Given the compressed schedule, bc of Sochi, next year will be alot like this year but with 82 games, that's hard for a veteran team and again add in our travel.

• Offsetting this challenge is the efforts spent my the team to look at sleep, rest etc, a change of the division alignment, and the vets knowing how to deal with this - but it won't be enough.

• However, it still worries me that we will see the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Hansen, maybe Hammer, and Lou off to Sochi when all those guys are not only core, they are also aging, and those 2 weeks off could really help them rest for the playoffs.

• Not only will they not be resting, they will tiring out their bodies, emotions prior to what really matters, the run for the cup.

• These guys aren't Toews and Kane young, a long season and long playoffs as we all know takes stamina, lack of injuries etc to win.

• In my mind, I'd really like to see our players say thanks, but no thanks, we've all played before and we care more about the cup.

Archived