The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weise and Canucks Going to Arbitration

I doubt he'd go to arbitration if he wants just $50K more or something like that. It may be a one-way/two-way scenario again, or he's looking for a more significant increase but if it's too much we can look elsewhere to make sure we can sign the other players we need.

I'm not a huge fan of Weise. It would be nice to have a tough guy that could win a fight or 2. Plus his twitter account was pretty weird, he kicked all us guys off it and kept the ladies....Bad attitude on twitter before that.

Weise is a valuable 4th liner, he isn't supposed to be a fighter we are forcing him to play that way. He's very solid defensively, can kill penalties, a fast skater and hits fairly well. A 4th liner who can play more than 7 minutes a night? Sign me up!

I like Weise but come on, the Canucks plucked him off waivers and gave him a chance to succeed, knowing their cap situation, he should not have filed for arbitration.

At the very least he should realize that the Canucks shouldn't have to pay for his potential... translate that potential into reality on the ice and they will give him his money... he should take a one year 2way deal and prove that he has what it takes and when the Cap goes up and some contracts are bought out or end, or trades happen there will be a lot of $$$ for him.

Help the team win and they will show you the money.

If you had watched the games you would have seen we got too wrapped up for the 2nd year running in making senseless hits while forgetting that the purpose of the game is to garner points.

Weise was a minus player in both regular and playoff seasons for good reason.

If you want sing Weise's praises then go ahead, I won't waste my time.

I've liked some of his play this year. For a 4th liner, he sure can skate, and that goal against StL was awesome (although the only "highlight" reel goal this year IMO, in reference to a previous posting).

I don't like hearing about those comments regarding his attitude. If he is as lacking in character, as those comments would suggest, then that makes him even more expendable. Pretty sad character flaw for a bubble player. When you see the Sedin's strive to improve each year, as good as they are, Weise could learn something from their work ethic.

I'd be happy enough if he stayed, but if a 1-way and 10% bump was MG's offer, I'm not sure Weise did much to earn significantly more than that.

Glen Sater won't be that stupid to sign Ballard because he is not going to get ice time under AV and it would be a waste of cap space and money.

Weiss was put on waivers by the Rangers whilst Tortorella was coach. It has to be a sour relationship between the two based on words said on Weise interview before Tort was hired. MG and the owner would just make themselves look stupid if they try to re-sign useless Weise for big money only to sit in the press box. If Weise really wants to continue his NHL carrier, his only chance is to sign elsewhere.

Archived