The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weise and Canucks Going to Arbitration

I don't get all the hate for Weise, he's been a solid contributor on our fourth line the past 2 years, and he seems like a great guy in the locker room. What's wrong with retaining a young depth forward that has potential?

Per Jim Jamieson's Twitter:

Jim Jamieson ‏@JamiesonCanucks 18m

Just passed 5k followers. Thx to all. Here's bonus tidbit: Agent for #Canucks RFA Dale Weise says will be filing for salary arb. #humbled

Second time in a row he's taken the Canucks to arbitration. I believe last time it was to get a one-way contract as opposed to a two-way deal... I'm not sure what it could be about this time. Maybe he's trying to out-earn Sestito? I really don't think Weise has done enough to garner that much more than Sestito's 750k.

I don't get all the hate for Weise, he's been a solid contributor on our fourth line the past 2 years, and he seems like a great guy in the locker room. What's wrong with retaining a young depth forward that has potential?

Though I've never been totally sold on Sestito, I guess you could say he's our 'tough guy' element if we ever need him in the lineup. But then again, I find the Gregory Campbell/PJ Axelsson type 4th liners much more valuable than the Jody Shelley type of players. You still need physicality throughout your lineup to win in the playoffs in today's NHL, but I don't think players like Sestito are necessarily needed in the game anymore.

I would definitely prefer Weise over Sestito.

i like weise well enough, he needs to stop fighting as often as he did, really needs to learn to pick his spots. skill wise he has what we want for the fourth line. That said, no more than 850k. i think anything more than that would be better spent on a veteran guy, or save some money and find maybe a less experienced guy but with the similar skillset. guys like bracken kearns, adam hall, and nick palmieri would be interesting to me if the price was right. halischuk or d'agostini would be more pricy but would fit well. or 2 guys i think would sign for less could be andreas nodl or anthony stewart.

Archived