The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joacim Eriksson | G

avelanch

Another incredible signing by Michael D Gillis.

Archibald, Tanev, Lain, Fox, Lack, Eriksson are a solid group of prospects, most of which probably should have been late 1st or 2nd round picks in hindsight.

Gillis has yet to draft a legit prospect in the second round. If each of those prospects was a prior 2nd round pick his draft record would look pretty awesome. Even though Archibald and Lain look like fourth liners, we have drafted only one player in the 2nd round over the last 15 years that turned into NHLers (Raymond). So comparatively, they would have been solid selections.

Tanev, Fox, Lack, and Eriksson all have potential to be phenomenal players. Tanev is already there, probably Lack too but the sample size is too small.

Utica Comets@UticaComets

Joacim Eriksson has been named the CCM/@theAHL Player of the Week! Release: http://www.uticacomets.com/?p=2291

The American Hockey League announced today that Utica Comets goaltender Joacim Eriksson has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Jan. 26, 2014.

In three starts last week, Eriksson went 3-0-0 with a 1.31 goals-against average, a .953 save percentage and one shutout to help the Comets extend their winning streak to a team-best four games.

After a two-week stint in the National Hockey League with the parent Vancouver Canucks, Eriksson returned to the Utica lineup on Tuesday and stopped 22 of 23 shots as the Comets edged visiting Chicago, 2-1. Utica then headed west for a two-game series in Abbotsford, and Eriksson was outstanding in Friday night’s 1-0 overtime victory, stopping all 36 shots he faced for his third shutout of the season. He then made 23 saves on Saturday night as the Comets earned another overtime win, 4-3 over the Heat.

Eriksson has won seven of his last eight decisions (7-1-0, 1.72, .940) and is now 11-11-1 with a 2.63 GAA and a .911 save percentage in 24 appearances on the season. A 23-year-old native of Gavle, Sweden, Eriksson is in his first season of play in North America after winning a Swedish league championship with Skelleftea in 2013. Signed as a free agent by Vancouver on June 17, 2013, Eriksson made his NHL debut with the Canucks on Jan. 15.

In recognition of his achievement, Eriksson will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Comets home game.

eriksson-wp.jpg

Way to go Sunshine!

I agree, but, I fear the Canucks depth chart in goaltending is in need up some help. Once Eriksson gets the nod for the Canucks, there's not much there to fill the void in Utica. Do the Canucks have any prospects in sight?

Well we signed both Eriksson and Lack as free agents, so I don't think we have a problem finding goalie talent that way.

Well we signed both Eriksson and Lack as free agents, so I don't think we have a problem finding goalie talent that way.

i would rather see us draft an 18 year old to bolster the bottom end and let eriksson and cannata hold down the pro ranks for now. adding a 20+ just adds to the confusion and log jam.

I agree, but, I fear the Canucks depth chart in goaltending is in need up some help. Once Eriksson gets the nod for the Canucks, there's not much there to fill the void in Utica. Do the Canucks have any prospects in sight?

Joe Cannata is waiting in the weeds. I believe that given an ample amount of starts and half-way decent defence, Cannata would put up great numbers as the starter in the A.

I think Eriksson will be back in Utica again next year. Eddie Lack has played well for the Canucks and I doubt Luongo is going anywhere soon.

Hard to know about Luongo: that's a situation that could change in very short order. While Lack isn't a proven #1 at the NHL level yet, he's shown enough that if there is any credible offer for Luongo out there, a trade could happen. This time next year would be better timing than now as far as the Canucks are concerned, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

• 2 weeks later...

Tied for shutouts in the AHL!!!! Nice to hear although in his NHL game he wasn't very good I think in 2-3 years he can be a good backup or even a NHL starter one day.

Is Utica's defense good or is Eriksson standing on his head each game or a 50/50?

Tied for shutouts in the AHL!!!! Nice to hear although in his NHL game he wasn't very good I think in 2-3 years he can be a good backup or even a NHL starter one day.

Is Utica's defense good or is Eriksson standing on his head each game or a 50/50?

He's stealing games.

it's 95/5

While Luongo may be the 5th or 6th best goalie in the NHL, he was never a game stealer. We might have two possible game stealers in Lack and Eriksson, but both shouldn't be rushed

He's stealing games.

it's 95/5

While Luongo may be the 5th or 6th best goalie in the NHL, he was never a game stealer. We might have two possible game stealers in Lack and Eriksson, but both shouldn't be rushed

He was a game stealer when he got here, that 2007 team was horrible... he's the only reason we made it to round 2. Our team this year is even worse though, if it weren't for he and Lack we'd be in the basement. Our goaltending is definitely our strength right now, hopefully Lack or Eriksson can develop into something we can trade for good return because there isn't room for all 3.

He's stealing games.

it's 95/5

Are you kidding me? Luongo WAS NEVER a game stealer? You should watch Luongo when he first came to Vancouver. If that's not game stealing, I don't know what is.

However, after his groin injury in PIT, he was not as dominant before. But Luongo still stole a few games for us this year. One I remembered clearly is the home game vs Boston this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived