The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joacim Eriksson | G

avelanch

Yep, I'm aware of that. The point I was trying to make was that playing behind a veteran team is much easier for a young goalie.

Next season should be a little bit better for Eriksson I would think.

Yeah, I was kinda backing up you point with the fact that the Moose were probably a better organization even than the Wolves as far as making adjustments easier. We didn't really realize how good our system was with Manitoba until it was gone.

I think it's a huge learning curve for Vancouver running their own farm system. This year won't be the best indicator of what any of the players are capable of, and hopefully next season they learn from their mistakes and figure out what the team needs to succeed. I really want to see Utica do well, but I think this season being rough is kind of expected.

He is a young goalie and typical with young goalies he is inconsistent. When he is good, he is real good but then the next night he may give up 3 goals in half a period. The good thing is that he has been more consistent lately while at the same time the team has played better in front of him.

The areas where he has struggled during bad games are rebound control, angles (particularly on the glove side) and post to post lateral movement. I imagine the biggest adjustment he had to make with the North American game is dealing with traffic in front and preventing the garbage rebound goals. He hasn't always been able to locate and cover the lose puck when it was within his reach.

On the positive side he is very quick and is extremely good at stopping breakaways and 2 on 1 breaks. He just needs to use that quickness on lateral movements after rebounds to the weak side. I think that is a technique issue rather than an ability issue and something a good goalie coach can help him with.

The thing that I really like about him is his attitude. You can tell that he is super competitive and appreciates the support he is receiving from the Utica Fans. When called back out on to the ice after receiving one of the stars of the game he has the biggest smile on his face and applauds all sections of the Aud while making eye contact with the fans. You can't help but love that kind of attitude.

Wow. Yeah seems dedicated to work his way up to the NHL. No slouch either.

Played a great game tonight. Confidence is sky high. I'm a season ticket holder and this is the first game I've been to that the comets won. 1st star for him tonight and I saw the huge smile on his face that people have mentioned when the 3 stars are announced. He actually tossed his goalie stick into the crowd after the game.

4 games. that's impressive, but it's also a hot streak.

GP. SO. GAA. Pct

11-12. 33. 3. 1.82. .932

12-13. 30. 5. 1.67. .931

Here are his stats for the last 2 years in the Swedish elite league. These are numbers that Henrick Lundquist posted when he played in the SEL. He may be playing well, but I'm not calling it a hot streak. The kid had a ton of upside.

4 games. that's impressive, but it's also a hot streak.

GP. SO. GAA. Pct

11-12. 33. 3. 1.82. .932

12-13. 30. 5. 1.67. .931

Here are his stats for the last 2 years in the Swedish elite league. These are numbers that Henrick Lundquist posted when he played in the SEL. He may be playing well, but I'm not calling it a hot streak. The kid had a ton of upside.

forgot his numbers in the SEL. Especially his sick PO stats. In all honesty, I thought he was gonna be the backup for the big club this year and was surprised when Lack was made backup. I guess his early season struggling was just adjusting to the NA ice. Hope we keep this guy!

Already a separate thread, but Eriksson's on his way up for cover in case of Luongo's potential injury.

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks

Canucks have recalled goaltender Joacim Eriksson from the AHL Utica Comets.

Sounds to me like they think Luongo won't be fit enough to backup for the Sunday/Monday games at least, but could be just precautionary.

• 4 weeks later...

Eriksson's thread has been pretty slow despite his two callups and first NHL game action, probably a good time to update it! Here's a save from tonight's game versus the Heat:

Bey5VMyCAAAzvGV.jpg

His stick save on a double deflection was amazing

I heard about that later, it was on Baertschi wasn't it? There were a couple other pictures, maybe I'll try and grab them to get this thread more lively.

Oh, and Eriksson has just over 123 minutes of shutout time currently against the Heat. It looks like he's starting again tonight.

Really good game for him vs the Heat last night. Schroeder & Eriksson were stars for the Comets...even tho it took an OT goal to win..Shreds was flying around with good puck possession & trying ti make things happen out there. Joacim played out-of-his-mind great! Even the Heat goalie..Joni Ortio...wasn't too shabby - either. Hoping for another good outing tomorrow... & more goals scored by the Comets.I'm talkin' to you, Nick Jensen!

Archived