The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joacim Eriksson | G

avelanch

actually, i'm pretty sure i solved it already. it was his youth team, Hedesunda IF...

There we go, mystery solved. Strange with all the searches I tried it didn't come up.

I sent a question to Lack to see if he knew what it was. hopefully he can shed some light on it.

Haha, he must be getting tired of answering questions for his competition since I'd asked him earlier. He told me he didn't know and to ask Eriksson!

There we go, mystery solved. Strange with all the searches I tried it didn't come up.

Haha, he must be getting tired of answering questions for his competition since I'd asked him earlier. He told me he didn't know and to ask Eriksson!

I just went to elitprospects and saw in his bio his Youth Team was listed as Hedesunda IF. then I google image searched it and BAM, there's the logo, clear as day. then i googled it plus hockey (because without hockey it'll just list the football team portion of the club) and bam, there's the webpage.

i like how he is a little unorthodox in his style. doesn't get out of position much, seems to like to clear the puck from the crease if he can rather than cover. only weakness i noticed was his tight angles in the first 2 games. also got beat on some weird bounces followed by good hand-eye plays from opposing forwards. i'd say he appears to be a good learner, wasn't beaten on those angles in the third game, though that could just be from circumstances. the battle for the backup spot in Van could end up not being won or lost. i could see lack and eriksson switching spots a few times this year, those spots being backup in Van and starter in Utica. they both need to play a decent amount of games this year IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought this guy would've beat Lack for the backup job. He looked really good, in the time I watched him. Anybody know if he is doing well in Utica or is he going to stay there for a while?

Lets not forget Eriksson is two years younger than Lack. This is his first experience with North American hockey, so there's gonna be a learning curve. Not to mention the Wolves were a more veteran team that made it easier for Lack.

Hopefully he can follow the same path as Lack and develop the next couple seasons in the AHL. I think he has more high end athletic skill than Lack does, but his game is still very raw right now.

Lets not forget Eriksson is two years younger than Lack. This is his first experience with North American hockey, so there's gonna be a learning curve. Not to mention the Wolves were a more veteran team that made it easier for Lack.

Lack actually played his first AHL season with the Moose, which was probably one of the best minor league affiliates as far as balancing veteran players with youth at the time. It probably made the adjustment much easier than coming into a completely green organization that is struggling to find their footing in the league.

I thought this guy would've beat Lack for the backup job. He looked really good, in the time I watched him. Anybody know if he is doing well in Utica or is he going to stay there for a while?

He is playing better all the time..he is the #1 goalie...but he has lapses,,,,,next year he will be better...he is a keeper

Lack actually played his first AHL season with the Moose, which was probably one of the best minor league affiliates as far as balancing veteran players with youth at the time. It probably made the adjustment much easier than coming into a completely green organization that is struggling to find their footing in the league.

Yep, I'm aware of that. The point I was trying to make was that playing behind a veteran team is much easier for a young goalie.

Next season should be a little bit better for Eriksson I would think.

He is a young goalie and typical with young goalies he is inconsistent. When he is good, he is real good but then the next night he may give up 3 goals in half a period. The good thing is that he has been more consistent lately while at the same time the team has played better in front of him.

The areas where he has struggled during bad games are rebound control, angles (particularly on the glove side) and post to post lateral movement. I imagine the biggest adjustment he had to make with the North American game is dealing with traffic in front and preventing the garbage rebound goals. He hasn't always been able to locate and cover the lose puck when it was within his reach.

On the positive side he is very quick and is extremely good at stopping breakaways and 2 on 1 breaks. He just needs to use that quickness on lateral movements after rebounds to the weak side. I think that is a technique issue rather than an ability issue and something a good goalie coach can help him with.

The thing that I really like about him is his attitude. You can tell that he is super competitive and appreciates the support he is receiving from the Utica Fans. When called back out on to the ice after receiving one of the stars of the game he has the biggest smile on his face and applauds all sections of the Aud while making eye contact with the fans. You can't help but love that kind of attitude.

Archived