The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ilya Kovalchuk will return to NHL at the earliest time possible

Original article @ www.championat.com/hockey/news-1579125-sestra-kovalchuka-ilja-planiruet-vernutsja-v-nkhl-cherez-3-goda.html

Rough Google translation:

Sister Kovalchuk: Ilya plans to return to the NHL after a few years

July 13, 2013, Saturday. 22:11

Ilya Kovalchuk's sister Arina told about the reasons for the decision to return to play his brother home and reported that Ilya plans to return to the NHL in a few years.

"Ilya has long thought about it, just not for a week or a month. But how much dirt, if not tougher, poured it in one day? Humanly me very sad for his brother. Why him? Everyone knows that America is a team of "New Jersey". Same was once in the "Atlanta", because of what Ilya went from there. It was very hard, but he's a responsible person, suffered some moments did not want to break the contract. club have no more cup of ambition. Ilya as an athlete wants to win and win titles "- quotes the sister of hockey," Moskovsky Komsomolets ".

Arina said that her brother is planning to return to the NHL in a few years:

"Ilya
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.championat.com/tags/248/kovalchuk.html&usg=ALkJrhhSYCxMCeXxFnYfmXOkZqlBEfcwkQ' rel="external nofollow">
is not thinking about how to finish with hockey. Naturally, he plans to return to America and perform in the NHL. But the next three years he will play in Russia. Nobody thinks that Ilya is not only famous hockey player, but many children father? He has three children! Of course, it will choose an option such that his family was safe. Not everyone in the world is measured in money. Certainly not in our family. This is a stressful decision for Ilya. So support him and not spread rot! He is now very hard. "

He doesn't want his kids to grow up in New Jersey and would rather have them be raised in their native country. That seems fairly reasonable considering how much money he has decided to forfeit. I can understand it from his perspective, and it seems the Devils organization encourages this as well.

Let's not forget the New Jersey Devils are struggling financially; this decision has freed them up considerably. It's a sensible mutual agreement although it truly is a circumvention of the CBA. The only unhappy party here is likely the NHL.

Free agency three years from now will be fairly exciting. He could be a great second-line winger for a contending team in a few seasons.

I don't think this has anything to do with NJ and not wanting to be there I think he just wants to play in the KHL. Either for a couple of years and come back to the NHL or stay there until the end of his career. The reason I say that is because I'm sure NJ said they would try to trade him to a place where he "wants" to be if he really wanted out of NJ but you heard nothing about that not even a whisper of him wanting out of NJ.

Maybe he's just waiting for the CAP to go back up so his contract can be moved if NJ still retains his rights/contract.

Archived