The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ramadan Thread

Watermelon

Thanks. I guess I'm not clear on the total idea of fasting. I'm going to assume its a water only diet?

Nope not even water. I have to say it's not that hard to fast for me personally. Then again I don't have to do anything physical during the day otherwise the thirst is hard to resist.

Thanks. I guess I'm not clear on the total idea of fasting. I'm going to assume its a water only diet?

Nope you dont eat anything at all. Yesterday you stopped eating at about 3.27 and then had to fast(not eating,drinking anything) and then eat at around 9.15

Part of fasting is to show Muslims how hard life is for people in poverty who cant afford food and have to go sometimes days with out anything to eat or drink. There are other parts like getting closer to god and becoming a better human

Nope not even water. I have to say it's not that hard to fast for me personally. Then again I don't have to do anything physical during the day otherwise the thirst is hard to resist.

Not even water? That's crazy! I work in the oilfields and it is wicked hot right now. That's a tough bunch out there. Good luck to those guys.

Yeah I hear you lol I slept till about 5pm today the fast went by so fast. This years ramadan seems much faster then the other ones lol even though its about like 17-18 hours of fasting.

Overall between sun up and sundown during the period there is no eating, no drinking, no smoking (doesnt matter what you smoke) and no sexual relations. So eat a hearty breakfast before dawn and a big dinner after dusk and hopefully you wont work up too much of a thirst during the day.

Mohammad started to receive revelations during the month of Ramadan. This makes the lunar month of Ramadan the most sacred of months in the Islamic calendar.

The text:

Chapter 2, Revelation 185 of the Quran states:

The month of Ramadan is that in which was revealed the Quran; a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the criterion (of right and wrong). And whosoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, a number of other days. Allah desires for you ease; He desires not hardship for you; and that you should complete the period, and that you should magnify Allah for having guided you, and that perhaps you may be thankful.

Even if I was Muslim I'm pretty sure I'd still realize that fasting is dumb.

Care to explain, I provided a few reasons for fasting above and they do not seem dumb at all. Becoming a better human,feeling what its like to be in poverty and famine, getting closer to God. Yupp all seem like stupid things

Even if I was Muslim I'm pretty sure I'd still realize that fasting is dumb.

Fasting exists in one form or another in most major faiths in the world. Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism etc.

There are medical short term reasons to fast and intermittent fasting has shown promise as a way to increase lifespan although this has not been proven conclusive as any caloric reduction may have some of the same overall effect outside of outright fasting.

I've been taking a medication for an illness I have for 8 years, so I can't fast cause I need to take my medication and I can't take it early or late! Soooooooooo....mwuahahaha ha ha haaaaa.

I'm kidding. I honestly wish I could fast, but since I can't it kinda sucks cause I have to make it up in the future or pay kaffarah(money for each fast you miss).

Good luck to all you though! My entire family are basically zombies throughout the day, its pretty rough.

I've been taking a medication for an illness I have for 8 years, so I can't fast cause I need to take my medication and I can't take it early or late! Soooooooooo....mwuahahaha ha ha haaaaa.

I'm kidding. I honestly wish I could fast, but since I can't it kinda sucks cause I have to make it up in the future or pay kaffarah(money for each fast you miss).

Good luck to all you though! My entire family are basically zombies throughout the day, its pretty rough.

YEah you have to donate money to feed the less fortunate. Islaam is a religion of peace,friendship,compassion and kindness not anything like what AMerica portrays it to be. WAtch this video as it shows the truth behind Islaam

Archived