The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your roster for Canada at the World Juniors?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone wonder how much NHL team politics is put into this? I can't imagine them taking three Canuck prospects, some team is going to make a stink to Sutter about not taking their prospect. Pretty much how Corrado lost out cause of that pylon they just had to bring last year, I can't remember his name. Glad that backfired on them.

I'm sure Horvat and Shinkaruk are gimmies, but Gaunce, meh, I just don't see them taking 3.

Anyone wonder how much NHL team politics is put into this? I can't imagine them taking three Canuck prospects, some team is going to make a stink to Sutter about not taking their prospect. Pretty much how Corrado lost out cause of that pylon they just had to bring last year, I can't remember his name. Glad that backfired on them.

I'm sure Horvat and Shinkaruk are gimmies, but Gaunce, meh, I just don't see them taking 3.

I was thinking the same thing which is why I left Gaunce off my mock roster, but honestly I think he's playing his way back on the WJC team. If one of the Canucks 3 gets left off at this point honestly I think it may be Hunter.

As much as I'd love to see shinkaruk there he's just not having a season favouring him to make it just like McCarron both players would of been on my roster to start the season for gaunce he should be centre of the 4th line and used as a shut down role and horvat is a no brainier obviously. Can't wait to see drouin and mantha together gunna be exciting, goaltending once again is my biggest concern for canada, Wedgwood should of been left in! Hahaha go canada go!

kyper_headshot_normal.jpgNick Kypreos@RealKyper10m

No @phoenixcoyotes Max Domi for #WJC tourn? 12th overall pick in #NHL draft. #rukiddinme? Hope Team Canada know what they r doing.

Didn't think the roster was announced yet... is Kyper giving away info he shouldn't just yet. Also if Domi is left off that is a huge surprise, especially considering he's used to playing with Horvat.

This was the roster as it was read, the spelling will likely be off on most of these so don't hate..

Here you go..

Zach Furcale

Jake patterson

Chris Bigras

Matthew Dumba

Aaron Ekblad

Josh Morrissey

Adam Pelech

Derek Pouliot

Griffen Reinhart

Damon Severson

Josh Anderson

Jon Drouin

Fred Gautier

Felix Gerrard

Bo Horvat

Charles Hudon

Scott Laughton

Curtis Lazar

Taylor Leir

Anthony Mantha

Connor Mcdavid

Nick Petan

Sam Reinhart

Kerby Rychel

Hunter Shinkaruk

Roster on TSN page now... some big surprises a few guys I have to admit I know very little about such as Felix Girard and Josh Anderson.

http://www.tsn.ca/wo...ture/?id=109271

Glad to see Hunter and Bo make the team.

Girard played at the U-17 U-18 I think. Not a high profile player, but well known by team canada I believe.

Still 2 forwards to be cut, even Bo is pretty much a lock IMO

I think Gaunce makes sense, even though he played on big ice in Belleville, i'm pretty sure speed might be an issue against Russian and Swede on that ice.

Drouin- Reinhart - Mantha (Unbelievable offensive potential in every way)

Shinkaruk - Petan - Rychel (Two finishers outside of one of Juniors best playmakers)

Hudon - Horvat - Anderson (Could shut down any scoring line at the tournament)

Laughton - Gauthier - Lazar (Good grinder line, could see Lazar being replaced by Girard however)

McDavid (Will get a fair share of ice time however, just like Crosby did as a 13th as a 16 year old)

Leier and Girard cut (Leier just doesn't bring much that others cannot do better, Girard could squeek in though)

Reinhart - Pouliot (Reinhart is elite skill with speed issues, made up for by quickness of Pouliot)

Bigras - Dumba (Bigras is steady, allows Dumba to go for the big hit and the big rush)

Morrisey - Pelech (Another example of a quick offesnive threat, paired with a skilled but not very mobile player)

Ekblad (Can move throughout to make up for lack of right handed D)

Severson cut (Just like Leier, what he does others can do better, but may get in over Pelech since he is a righty)

Fucale (Starting job is his to lose)

Paterson (Will likely play a game or two)

Of course, these likely won't be "true" lines in respect to ice time. With that much skill you just play who is doing damage.

Drouin- Reinhart - Mantha (Unbelievable offensive potential in every way)

Shinkaruk - Petan - Rychel (Two finishers outside of one of Juniors best playmakers)

Hudon - Horvat - Anderson (Could shut down any scoring line at the tournament)

Laughton - Gauthier - Lazar (Good grinder line, could see Lazar being replaced by Girard however)

McDavid (Will get a fair share of ice time however, just like Crosby did as a 13th as a 16 year old)

Leier and Girard cut (Leier just doesn't bring much that others cannot do better, Girard could squeek in though)

Leier was one of the better (if not the best) players for WHL during the Subway series which was played in Sutter's backyard so to speak. You can bet that Sutter and co. have been watching Leier quietly having a great season. Leier is making a good case for the coaches to put him on the roster while Shinkaruk is having an absolutely average (some would say way below average) season thus far (yes I am aware he's been injured, but he's still not having a great season). If he makes the team it will be because of the work he put in the summer camp and whatever he can muster during the short selection camp.

Absolutely no surprise Gaunce was left off the roster. His physique/style isn't built for international hockey despite playing on larger ice in Bellville. Plus, he had a very poor showing in Brossard during the summer selection camp.

As others have said, Horvat looks like a lock this year. His summer camp performance and numbers this year are great - he's one player that I'm really looking forward to watching vs the world's best players.

Anderson, Girard, and Gauthier are surprises as each one doesn't excel enough in their respective roles IMO to be considered elite world-class players at that age level so it makes one wonder how Sutter would plan on using them in their system?

Archived