The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your roster for Canada at the World Juniors?

I was lucky enough to be in Brossard today and I attended the practice. I watched both sessions (it was broken into two, but the goalies participated in both sessions). I could go on about this and that as it was very interesting to watch, but I`ll just make a few comments about the Canucks prospects. First, it is clear that Shinkaruk wants to make this team, badly. His compete level even during seemingly meaningless drills (if there is such a thing at a selection camp at this level) is very high. He had a couple battles in front of the net with Dumba that, if it were a WHL game, would likely have led to altercations no doubt. Horvat is quiet good. Watching him (my first time since he plays in the OHL), I get the sense that he`s such a smoother skater, with great hockey-sense that he can make things look easier than they are. Interestingly, Horvat played the entire practice at left wing so that might put out any thoughts of him making the team as a center as some people here are speculating. On the contrary, Gaunce didn`t look that good out there. He was playing his natural center position, but they took his line-mates and put them into the other session so he was easy to spot out there being the only skater wearing blue. He was out of sorts during some of the drills and put his head up in the air with furstration on more than one occasion (not a good thing for the coaches to be seeing I imagine). Sutter spoke to him one-on-one a few times - no idea about what though? A couple last notes, Mackinnon is the real deal, and McDavid is scarrry good for his age. I`ve seen Petan play a lot in the dub, but man this guy is a shrimp - I know what he has done in Portland and it`s impressive, but I just can`t imagine him doing that against elite level competition at his size level when most everyone at the tournament will be as good as him but with 6 inches and 25lbs advantages over the guy. Again, it was a very interesting practice, both sessions had high tempo`s and the skaters were definitely not holding back - every shot was meant to score. I`m going to try to go back tomorrow if I can and will post again if I do.

dat solid wall of text

I was lucky enough to be in Brossard today and I attended the practice. I watched both sessions (it was broken into two, but the goalies participated in both sessions). I could go on about this and that as it was very interesting to watch, but I`ll just make a few comments about the Canucks prospects.

First, it is clear that Shinkaruk wants to make this team, badly. His compete level even during seemingly meaningless drills (if there is such a thing at a selection camp at this level) is very high. He had a couple battles in front of the net with Dumba that, if it were a WHL game, would likely have led to altercations no doubt.

Horvat is quiet good. Watching him (my first time since he plays in the OHL), I get the sense that he`s such a smoother skater, with great hockey-sense that he can make things look easier than they are. Interestingly, Horvat played the entire practice at left wing so that might put out any thoughts of him making the team as a center as some people here are speculating.

On the contrary, Gaunce didn`t look that good out there. He was playing his natural center position, but they took his line-mates and put them into the other session so he was easy to spot out there being the only skater wearing blue. He was out of sorts during some of the drills and put his head up in the air with furstration on more than one occasion (not a good thing for the coaches to be seeing I imagine). Sutter spoke to him one-on-one a few times - no idea about what though?

A couple last notes, Mackinnon is the real deal, and McDavid is scarrry good for his age. I`ve seen Petan play a lot in the dub, but man this guy is a shrimp - I know what he has done in Portland and it`s impressive, but I just can`t imagine him doing that against elite level competition at his size level when most everyone at the tournament will be as good as him but with 6 inches and 25lbs advantages over the guy.

Again, it was a very interesting practice, both sessions had high tempo`s and the skaters were definitely not holding back - every shot was meant to score. I`m going to try to go back tomorrow if I can and will post again if I do.

Thanks so much for posting your birdseye view of the practices. Awesome you get a chance to see the players in action. Hopefully Gaunce will pick it up for the next games.

Zachary Fucale, Eric Comrie

Mathew Dumba, Darnell Nurse, Josh Morrissey, Derrick Pouliot, Ryan Pulock, Griffin Reinhart, Morgan Rielly

Jonathan Drouin, Max Domi, Brendan Gaunce, Frédérik Gauthier, Bo Horvat, Scott Laughton, Curtis Lazar, Anthony Mantha, Sean Monahan, Nic Petan, Kerby Rychel, Hunter Shinkaruk, Charles Hudon

Seems like the teammates and Sutter are high on McDavid. Probably going to make the team, gonna redo mine

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Domi

Laughton - Gaunce - Petan

Reinhart - McDavid - Lazar

Hudon - Gauthier - Rychel

Reinhart - Dumba

Nurse - Morriessy

Pulock - Pouliot

Paterson

Fucale

With the team that played today I could see this as the World Junior team with a few changes:

Shinkaruk - Monahan - Mantha

Rychel - Horvat - S. Reinhart

Domi - McDavid - Gaunce

Poirier - Gauthier - Petan

Nurse - Rielly

Dumba - Pulock/Reinhart

Koekoek - Severson

Fucale

Comrie

When Reinhart's suspension ends he'll play on the second pair and Pulock will go down to the third pair, making Severson the seventh defenseman.

Paterson

Fucale

nurse morressey

Dumba ekblad

Pulock-Pouliot

Pelech

rychel horvat shinkaruk

hudon mcdavid mantha

Lazar- Gaunce - Domi

gauthier st croix sam reinhart

koekkoek

one of vans prospects makes canucks i think so will drouin mckinnin oreilly monahan will be up in bigs

Seems like the teammates and Sutter are high on McDavid. Probably going to make the team, gonna redo mine

Laughton - Gaunce - Petan

Reinhart - McDavid - Lazar

Hudon - Gauthier - Rychel

Reinhart - Dumba

Nurse - Morriessy

Pulock - Pouliot

Paterson

Fucale

Might be some Canuck bias here. Gaunce might be a third liner tops in my books. Horvat on top line would be surprising too.

• 1 month later...

Drouin-Horvat-Mantha

Rychel-Laughton-Shinakruk

Domi-McDavid-Wilson

Poirier-Gauthier-Lazar

Reinhart-Pulock

Nurse-Dumba

Pouliot-Morrisey

Fucale

Paterson

Don't know why people are putting Mantha in the bottom 6, he's got 23 points in 8 games definitely deserves to be on the top line.

Also it looks like Monahan is staying in the NHL but if Calgary lets him go to the WJ all the centers bump down 1 line putting Monahan on the first.

Can't see Colorado letting MacKinnon go unless there way out of the playoff race, he'll be a huge factor to their success this year.

Don't know why people are putting Mantha in the bottom 6, he's got 23 points in 8 games definitely deserves to be on the top line.

Defense doesn't exist to him, 1 dimensional player. If Sutter is the coach he should be a scratch.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the forward group will look something like this:

Drouin- Laughton- Mantha

Hudon- Lazar- Rychel

Poirier - Reinhart- Petan

McDavid

Gaunce will get a chance if there is any injury to anyone in the bottom 6.

McDavid 13th forward?

He's 5th in scoring in the OHL and still 16. Think he gets at least 3rd line minutes.

Also your 4th line is filled with small pure snipers and no energy/grinders. Role players are needed this isn't NHL 14.

McDavid 13th forward?

He's 5th in scoring in the OHL and still 16. Think he gets at least 3rd line minutes.

Also your 4th line is filled with small pure snipers and no energy/grinders. Role players are needed this isn't NHL 14.

You said it yourself McDavid is only 16, this is a 18 year olds torney. He'll start as teh 13th forward just like Crosby did when he was 16. The 3rd line is my crash. check and bang line, given the depth of scorers the 4th line is another scoring line.

Archived