The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rant: Cyclists in Vancouver

i often see cyclists on the roads trying to be like cars, but they rarely follow all the same rules....they will blow stop signs and red lights, and fail to signal when turning or changing lanes....yet they want the same respect as a vehicle.

ive always thought they should need to take a license to be on the road with cars.

............now, there is a petition i will gladly sign if someone is so inclined.

When I was in Japan, lots of people are on bikes. The major differences are that there are designated biking lanes on the sidewalks and that cyclist knows how to get the **** out of the way of cars.

Here, I noticed that many cyclist tempt fate or "dare" drivers. To me, that's just idiocy.

I think the problem is that we have these "dedicated bike lanes" on the wrong roads. Ever been to a country where cycling is used by tons of people like India or China? Not many people wear helmets. Bicycles aren't licensed. The problem has nothing to do with helmets or licensing. The problem is there should be dedicated roads for bikes. Not these half lanes for cyclists that nobody uses.

Either make it illegal to ride on multilane streets or make dedicated streets strictly for bike lanes.

Having everything licensed doesn't fix any of the problems associated with bicycles and cars competing for space on the road...

All it does is discourage cycling.. which means more cars on the road.. which in the end.. means more complaints by drivers, which means build more multilane roads... rinse and repeat.

i often see cyclists on the roads trying to be like cars, but they rarely follow all the same rules....they will blow stop signs and red lights, and fail to signal when turning or changing lanes....yet they want the same respect as a vehicle.

ive always thought they should need to take a license to be on the road with cars.

............now, there is a petition i will gladly sign if someone is so inclined.

To drive a car you must:

1. Be over 16 years of age.

2. Pass an eye exam.

3. Pass a written exam on the rules of the road.

4. Demonstrate your understanding of the rules of the road in the presence of a driving instructor.

5. Pass other medical exams if you are a senior.

6. Purchase insurance.

7. Purchase your driver's license.

8. Purchase your license plate.

9. Pay taxes for road maintenance.

10. Not be over an established intoxication limit.

To ride a bicycle you must:

*crickets chirping*

I believe that covers all of the rules that are enforced regularly. I find any argument or initiative to makes things easier for cyclists to be ridiculous. You want to cycle around, go mountain biking, need to get from point A to B, take transit or walk, need exercise, go to the gym, want to help the environment, don't have children. There is simply no legitimate need for cycling to the point where we need to re-think our entire city and drop other priorities to do so.

Ok. I'll bite.

First off, do you not agree there should be stricter licensing for operating a car than bike anyway? You're operating a one ton plus piece of metal at high speeds, you are way more dangerous and lethal than a bike. You have to take even more lessons and tests to fly a plane for the same reasons, it's much more complicated and potentially more deadly, just as a car is versus a bike.

My problem with certain cyclists is that they're unpredictable. One moment they're part of the road traffic, and in the next minute, if it suits their needs, they'll merge with the pedestrian traffic. Some of them also seem to view themselves as kings of the roads - as in, they'll obey traffic laws as far as they can throw a transit bus with one arm.

Traffic lights? Never heard of them! Right-of-way? Me first! Signaling? Aren't you psychic?! Helmets so that I don't die if an accident happens? Who cares, I want to feel cool! Me first, me first!!!!!!!! Who cares about the rest of you drivers & pedestrians!!!! I'm cutting down emissions so I can do anything I want!!!

I know a lot of cyclists personally, and most of them obey the laws of the road and are courteous to other cyclists and drivers. They wear helmets on the busy road and treat themselves as vehicles and also with respect. I have zero problem with these guys and hope that there are more of them, not just to make my life eaiser, but to cut down emissions, also. Then there are the lowlifes that I run into (figuratively) from time to time. Sigh...

And I have a HUGE problem with those select cyclists that blame the cars on the road. Yes, there are idiot drivers, but there are also idiot cyclists.

On a recent drive (approx. 20 mins) I saw:

Drivers speeding 20+ over the speed limit, driver(s) talking on cell phone

Cyclists wearing no helmet, riding on the wrong side of the road, riding on the sidewalk, or all of them

A mother with children in tow j-walking across the street

What does this illustrate? There are a LOT of people who do not care enough or do not know enough to follow the rules of the road. It all ends up with good drivers like myself (no at-fault accident, not speeding tickets for 10+ years) paying higher insurance premiums to pay for the idiots that populate our roads. It's not until you are in a serious accicdent where someones life was at stake that you are thankful that you followed the rules of the road.

I had a cyclist cut across the road in front of me when I was garduating highschool. I wasn't speeding and was paying attention. I tried to stop, but I still hit the cyclist. It was a 7 year old kid who ended up in the hospital even though a helmet was worn. If I had been speeding or not paying attention, death would have been the likely outcome. What really irritates me are people who behave like the examples I gave. Someones gonna die because of those behavours, and GOOD people end up paying.

On a recent drive (approx. 20 mins) I saw:

Drivers speeding 20+ over the speed limit, driver(s) talking on cell phone

Cyclists wearing no helmet, riding on the wrong side of the road, riding on the sidewalk, or all of them

A mother with children in tow j-walking across the street

What does this illustrate? There are a LOT of people who do not care enough or do not know enough to follow the rules of the road. It all ends up with good drivers like myself (no at-fault accident, not speeding tickets for 10+ years) paying higher insurance premiums to pay for the idiots that populate our roads. It's not until you are in a serious accicdent where someones life was at stake that you are thankful that you followed the rules of the road.

I had a cyclist cut across the road in front of me when I was garduating highschool. I wasn't speeding and was paying attention. I tried to stop, but I still hit the cyclist. It was a 7 year old kid who ended up in the hospital even though a helmet was worn. If I had been speeding or not paying attention, death would have been the likely outcome. What really irritates me are people who behave like the examples I gave. Someones gonna die because of those behavours, and GOOD people end up paying.

I agree! Though I do believe that bikes should be required to be insured on the road just like every motor vehicle.

If someone shows they can't be responsible either driving or cycling they shouldn't be allowed to.

Still no discussion taking into consideration the bixi system. How would insurance/licensing be tackled when the bixi bikes (or vixi, whatever) are installed? To obtain a licence, I'm guessing most people would be in favor of there being a road test? Or are we talking something like fishing licences where you just buy one, but it can be tied to your driver's licence or passport (for tourists?) so that if they need to fine you or suspend your licence they can?

Still no discussion taking into consideration the bixi system. How would insurance/licensing be tackled when the bixi bikes (or vixi, whatever) are installed? To obtain a licence, I'm guessing most people would be in favor of there being a road test? Or are we talking something like fishing licences where you just buy one, but it can be tied to your driver's licence or passport (for tourists?) so that if they need to fine you or suspend your licence they can?

Speed of a bike when colliding with a car: 50-120km/h

Would a helmet work in 120kph speed? Probably not; that's pretty damaging stuff. At 50kph? More likely the cyclist will suffer less injuries than if there were no protective equipment.

The helmet would help a bit but not much. I never understand why cyclists can't just stay at the side of the road or on a side walk. I have to slow down or go around and they always act like I did some unthinkable evil in passing them. All cyclist should just be happy I'm not running them over when they cut me off.

Archived