The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rant: Cyclists in Vancouver

I get the impression that cyclists feel they are above the rules of the road.

Newsflash: The roads are for CARS! Not bikes! Cyclists are lucky they live in such a left wing liberal city with a yuppie mayor who advocates and promotes your allowance on the roads. If it were up to me there'd be no cyclists on the roads. Its dangerous...bottom line!

Unless there's a bikelane, you have ZERO right to the road so GET OFF!

Newsflash: The roads are for CARS! Not bikes! Cyclists are lucky they live in such a left wing liberal city with a yuppie mayor who advocates and promotes your allowance on the roads. If it were up to me there'd be no cyclists on the roads. Its dangerous...bottom line!

For a greater understanding of how to make cycling in a big city work, come to Montreal and check it out for yourselves.

Lots of people complain about how horrible the drivers are in Montreal, but those people have no clue as to how good drivers are here. There is quite the symbiotic relationship between drivers, cyclists, and jay-walkers (it's like a sport) here. There is a ton of respect for all three levels of transportation. Cyclists don't take risks, drivers are actually quite polite and aware of their surroundings, and jay-walkers know when to go and when not to. My theory is it's because there is a different mentality of "chill the frack out" here, and not that up tight, rush rush rush kind of lifestyle. People need to go places, they just realize that they will get there when they get there.

• 2 months later...

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only cyclist that follows the MVA. A couple of weeks ago I stop at a 4 way stop, and I look before proceeding only to find a spandex-clad roadie running the stop sign when I have right of way (I was there first, and even if it were a tie, i was still on his right). Not to mention, I think this was the same old jackass who ran a red light when I was in a pedestrian controlled light at a t-intersection on foot a few weeks prior! I called him an idiot then! Looked like the same old git! grrr I hate cyclists and I am a cyclist!!!!

I don't need to ignore I'm just saying your message might actually be a little more meaningful and people may actually be willing to listen if you to the edge off a little. Intentional or not you are constantly having to defend yourself and maybe that's because youakre always on the offensive.

Just food for thought and I'll drop it now.

I'm not defending myself, this isn't about me. People always want to make this crap personal.

People don't like having it pointed out that there position is flawed, I get it. I don't either. But when you say things on a discussion forum that are just flat out wrong, based on nothing or just ignorant (willful or not), people will point that out.

As much as I agree with this post I have to ask one thing.

have ANY of you lived through an ironman weekend in 40 degree heat trying to get anywhere?

For those of you unaware Penticton BC holds an annual ironman or triathlon at the end of summer. Weather exceeds 35 degrees Celsius. IN and around Penticton we have mostly single lane traffic.

We have to "share the road" with cyclists which is fine on race day. BUT! for 2 solid months leading into race day we have pelatons of riders 10-20-40 strong taking up the whole lane as well as usually the oncoming lane like they own the road entirely.

My co-worker once had his window smashed when a rider threw his water bottle at him for laying on the horn and trying to pass. I love riding, I LOVE riding LOVE LOVE LOVE but I cannot STAND some of these damned idiots and I for one a shocked there's not more "accidents" regarding morons on bikes who do some of that crap.

Very simply put when I would ride I would be very aware of my size on the road and I would act accordingly. Usually the smallest guys with the biggest attitudes get shut down the hardest and I think one day we will have another "accident" like we did in Ottawa a few years back.

it is coming...oh yes it is coming

Archived